PDA

View Full Version : maxxis tyres..

Red Zed 1
07-05-13, 11:36 PM
anybody had any experience of maxxis tyres,are they generally any good,particularly wet weather performance and wear characteristics..needing new tyres and looking at other options,usually use avon roadriders on the gpz500 and michelin road pilot on the gpz1100.

QB1
08-05-13, 07:50 AM
anybody had any experience of maxxis tyres,are they generally any good,particularly wet weather performance and wear characteristics..needing new tyres and looking at other options,usually use avon roadriders on the gpz500 and michelin road pilot on the gpz1100.

I cant actually help with your question but if you are looking at Maxxis tyres due to cost, as I know they are often alot cheaper than the well known brands, if you haven't yet looked at M&P direct you might be surprised at the price of a pair of what are generally thought of as better quality tyres. I get mine there and then get them fitted to loose wheels by H&B in Frome for £10 its a huge saving, might be worth a look.

Mikkie1986
08-05-13, 09:33 AM
Iv had them on my road bikes and Track bikes... Cant fault them at all. ;-)

MelkshamKwak
08-05-13, 10:27 AM
I had 4 on my MG at one stage - excellent tyres in the wet and dry.

matthews677
08-05-13, 12:27 PM
im running maxxis supermaxx sports on my zx6r. I'm getting on with them ok in the dry. scrubbed in quite fast and despite being a fairly novice rider, they have given me some confidence. they warm up quickly as well. only downside to them (or me) is that they are horrible in the wet. i dont like them at all when its raining but that is just my opinion. the others in there range are apparantly much better in other conditions

gibbo
08-05-13, 08:04 PM
Pilot Road 3's are probably the best wet weather tyre I've used and still do, but they're not the cheapest. You usually pays your money and takes your choice.

NiteW4tcher
12-05-13, 05:38 PM
had a maxxis supermaxx on front of GSXR...............hated it!! no feedback no confidence

Caz
12-05-13, 10:03 PM
I have had them before and found them really good but didn't last seem to last as long as other brands. Yes try M & B they have good deals on tyres - I found Continental are good.

Goldie
12-05-13, 10:12 PM
Ive got Conti motions (I think) on my hornet, £130 a set :)

Rabb
12-05-13, 10:14 PM
I won't come away from Michelin 2CT's.
They work really well with a GSXR set up dry or wet.
I had a short daliance with Bridgestones but under hard acceleration (and once on a sweeping bend )
the rear 'bobbled around' and I lost trust in them.
I can't believe that I've got 8-9k miles out of the rear!
Just about to change now and I would not consider any other tyre.
5*+++

Red Zed 1
14-05-13, 11:46 PM
thanks for all your comments folks,will probably stick with avons for the 500 as i have used them for a couple of years without problems but if the 1100 ever gets back on the road then michelin road pilot will be the choice..

QB1
15-05-13, 09:02 AM
thanks for all your comments folks,will probably stick with avons for the 500 as i have used them for a couple of years without problems but if the 1100 ever gets back on the road then michelin road pilot will be the choice..

I cant remember the exact terms of the offer but when I was reading one of my bike mags last night Avon had an advert in which I think they are offering free/discounted fitting on Avon tyres at the moment. If you generally buy and have your tyres fitted by one of the Avon dealers it would be worth asking about.