PDA

View Full Version : Average speed cameras

Wes
04-05-13, 05:47 PM
You know the ones, usually seen adorning motorway roadworks, do they actually work? I've heard a few stories surrounding this, but I really wouldnt like to test the theory, but also I've never met anyone caught out either.

Senna(Dan)
04-05-13, 06:22 PM
Wes,
When you are riding along mate check which way they are facing. If they are front facing you are less likely to get caught for breaking the law lol.
This is because the man hours wasted mean it isn't worth it.

Splash
04-05-13, 06:42 PM
As Dan said, if they are forward facing I wouldn't worry, don't go overly stupid but you should be fine. ;)

Conehead
04-05-13, 06:46 PM
As you say, I also have not heard anyone being caught by them but dont want to test it.

If they are forward facing which most of them seem to be how are they gonna catch you?

Saying this implies I do but I definately dont speed through construction zones as it is too easy for a accident to happen

Senna(Dan)
04-05-13, 07:28 PM
Conehead,
They can catch you by using all the other cameras mounted around the area. I only know this because my mate got caught this way doing 98mph through a 50 average. Needless to say they chased him to ban him!

Conehead
04-05-13, 11:31 PM
Never thought they would go to those kinds of efforts to catch someone for speeding when more serious crimes are being committed.

Anyway, I dont need to worry as I never speed. ;)

Ducatista
05-05-13, 07:13 AM
I only know this because my mate got caught this way doing 98mph through a 50 average

I'd guess they don't go to the same efforts for someone doing 52.

Never thought they would go to those kinds of efforts to catch someone for speeding when more serious crimes are being committed.

I think 48 mph over the limit is a serious crime and it appears they do too.

What level of speeding do you think is acceptable and who do you think should be persmitted to do it?
Who gets to decide who can do it before it's serious? you?

Ducatista
05-05-13, 07:14 AM
I only know this because my mate got caught this way doing 98mph through a 50 average

redken1
05-05-13, 09:49 AM
We must not forget that in the main these average speed cameras are sited where extensive road works are carried out as a means of protecting the vulnerable workforce. IMOH, travelling at 98 mph through these restricted 50 mph speeding zones is one of the most effective recruiting sergeants the anti-biking lobby could have.

Senna(Dan)
05-05-13, 09:59 AM

I wouldn't imagine they would go to the same efforts for someone doing 52, a £60 fine and 3 points for alot of man hours.

Ken: I regularly see cars and bikes come flying past me in these 50 zones, they are there for a reason but if you you hit someone at 50mph they are probably not going to survive anyway.

Conehead
05-05-13, 10:55 AM

What level of speeding do you think is acceptable and who do you think should be persmitted to do it?
Who gets to decide who can do it before it's serious? you?

Why do you have to turn this general chit chat session into an arguement. Maybe you should start a new thread for that. I am not interested in a debate of that nature, if I was I would have been a politician. Also, where in my comments above did I say it was ok to speed. Be nice or dont play.

Gooz
05-05-13, 02:58 PM
I have a little funny for you from experience.............. when the widening of the M5 was taking place a couple of years back at Avonmouth the average cameras were in place then, 1st day they were switched on 7 of the prosecutions were for the gangs work vans working on the widening PMSL, my mate, their manager at the time didn't find it so funny :), as for do they work yes they do, another mate of mine installs them, you can no longer cheat them by changing lane either as they all received a software upgrade last year, the trigger and check are not always the first and last camera either they can now vary it, if you wonder are they on............ if you look at night they all have a faint red glow in the lense, chances are if you can see this they work, tolerance is usually 10% but again its discretionary to allow for manufacturing variation in road vehicles, as for effort to chase you, granted bikes do not have front plates so id is more difficult but they can check the motorway cctv and then offer that up as supporting evidence to gain a prosecution. ....... just go carefull

On a lighter note , if anyone has been done on the managed M42 recently do some research and you may find your points can be removed and fine re-imbursed, there was a defect in the system and are having to scratch most fines :) result :)

Wes
05-05-13, 05:03 PM
Cheers Gooz :)

Ducatista
05-05-13, 09:13 PM
they are there for a reason but if you you hit someone at 50mph they are probably not going to survive anyway

lol, love the logic :-)

You might have more chance of slowing down to a speed where you wouldn't kill someone at 50 than you would at 98.

Ducatista
05-05-13, 09:15 PM
Why do you have to turn this general chit chat session into an arguement.

Because I think saving lives is worth arguing about.
I'm sorry you think it's just play and chit chat. For the guys working there and their kids/spouses it's their safety you are "playing" with.

Conehead
05-05-13, 11:10 PM
Because I think saving lives is worth arguing about.
I'm sorry you think it's just play and chit chat. For the guys working there and their kids/spouses it's their safety you are "playing" with.

Once again, where did I state I condone speeding or have done it. Don't label me if you don't know me.

Jon_W
07-05-13, 11:21 AM
I regularly see cars and bikes come flying past me in these 50 zones.

So do I, but I stick to 50. Not worth the risk IMO even on a bike. I'm never sure if the ones on the other side can't see you.....

Swanny
07-05-13, 01:01 PM
Good job none of us lot speed

newnut
07-05-13, 05:15 PM
yes they do work, or at least some do, I drive for a living and asked around the same question, I spoke to a couple who have been caught by them. saying that, as for the police wasting time to catch you, you must be joking, its an easy bust to catch you so be sure they'll do it, its the career criminals they dont bother with.

DC
08-05-13, 04:42 PM
Just heard on the radio news earlier today that a biker from up the country somewhere has been jailed for 9 months for broadcasting on his local bike forum how he manages to foil cameras and evade prosecution for speeding !!!

QB1
08-05-13, 04:55 PM
Just heard on the radio news earlier today that a biker from up the country somewhere has been jailed for 9 months for broadcasting on his local bike forum how he manages to foil cameras and evade prosecution for speeding !!!

I think that might be the same as the one I just read about and posted - http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/showthread.php?37918-How-not-to-avoid-speeding-fines