PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil Issue HELP !!!

DC
04-05-13, 09:20 AM
Hi Peeps
I need some of your vast wealth of knowledge and experience . I have just removed the clutch cover , alternator cover and front sprocket cover of a 2008 Triumph Bonneville 865 EFI for shot blasting and powder coating . Before I removed them I completely drained the engine oil as the bike was due for an oil and filter change anyway .Having re-fitted the covers using new gaskets and Re-filling with new oil and fitting new filter filled with oil I find that after starting the bike to pump the oil around , then leaving it to settle for a few minutes to see if more oil needs to be added , the oil doesn't actually settle back down into the viewing window. With the bike on the centre stand I gave it a shake from side to side and the oil then seemed to re-settle . I've started the bike twice , switched it off to let the oil settle and keep getting the same result until i give the bike a good shake .There's definitely enough oil in the bike WTF !!! Is it possible that There's an air lock or something ???

XJ
04-05-13, 12:45 PM
Have a look here it might help http://www.triumph.co.uk/images/ecards/900_OHB_UK.pdf

DC
04-05-13, 07:02 PM
Thanks XJ all sorted now was expecting to put 3.8 L in for an oil and filter change but as I've had the casings off and the oil has had about a fortnight to drain out it was close to a dry fill of 4.5 L looks like I'll be getting out tomorrow :D :D:D

Gooz
05-05-13, 03:08 PM
a lot of oil can sit up in the rocker cover aswell fella, hence shaking it was bringing the level back up, also you would have been feeding it back across from the gearbox workings, hope this makes sense, level should be set at rest ideally without shaking it just fill from low till its correct then you shouldn't have to shake it again :)