PDA

View Full Version : when coming to a stop my rear wheel locks and then the engine cuts out.

Maz
26-04-13, 01:15 PM
Hi all

Well I have got my ZZR 600 which is restricted to 33bhp.

Yesterday, I kept stalling the bike (only natural), due to it being the first time I ever sat on it.

This morning I went to work and the gear changes werent too bad no clunkyness (apart from when I didnt change at the right time).

On my way home from work, I went to stop at the traffic lights, when the rear wheel locked and the engine cut out. I was able to re-start the engine. Then it happened a few more times. I am unsure if its the way am riding but changing gears now is really sounding clunky. I was going about 40mpp -30mph to a stop...

the first two stops like this werent that gradual as they could have been but when it cut out on the roundabout before my flat it was gradual stop (on this one the rear wheel didnt lock).

I do have a video of this, I am unsure if I am at fault or is the bike at fault?

The bike was easy to restart after this.

Maz
26-04-13, 01:16 PM
The engine was cold

Jon_W
26-04-13, 01:31 PM
somthing jammed or the engine cut out.... did you have the clutch pulled in when it happened?

Does the bike tick over ok when cold?

Check the chain and sprockets as a starter.

You also need to check that there are no cutout switches malfunctioning or that the gearbox/ primary drive isnt worn or broken.

Maz
26-04-13, 01:38 PM
Its literally just passed its MOT. This morning it was fine not clunky but coming home was terrible. I might not have pulled the clutch all the way in, but really unsure....

Bike ticks over great when its cold.

the chain and sprockets are nearly new(ish).

Maz
26-04-13, 01:42 PM
Could I possibly not be having it in the correct gear?

I know since yesterday am not changing gears at the correct time. So, the clunkyness might be that and when stopping the gear changes are clunky. I think I may need to be more smoother.

My previous bike was a XVS 250 and had many problems but its not as responsive at this bike obviously

QB1
26-04-13, 01:58 PM
Maz I really dont mean to be rude as we all have to start somewhere but is it mechanical or is the gear box just a bit clunky and you locked the back wheel up when braking? It's easily done if you are stomping a bit too heavy on the back brake. You really want to be using a high proportion of the front brake for stopping a bike.

Maz
26-04-13, 02:30 PM
I wasnt engaging the clutch properly. I didnt have it all the way it, I have just took it for another spin and Fing loved it! Not clunky or anything, no rear locking. And i did a U turn!

I am not an experienced rider by any means, I passed my test in 2011 and had a ninja 250 got rid after 6 months due to knee problems, then 6 months later saved for an XVS250 which had tones of mechanical faults, got it in October last year didnt ride it for ages put 280 miles on it due to these faults. Got rid of the xvs 3 months ago then got this one. Its riding position is better than the Ninja. I am not planning on getting it derestricted for some time.

I need to get used to it all over again.

Just came home smiling my face off! I really loved that ride, just changed how I was riding a little bit. My breaking is fine just the clutch control wasnt....

QB1
26-04-13, 02:41 PM
I wasnt engaging the clutch properly. I didnt have it all the way it, I have just took it for another spin and Fing loved it! Not clunky or anything, no rear locking. And i did a U turn!

I am not an experienced rider by any means, I passed my test in 2011 and had a ninja 250 got rid after 6 months due to knee problems, then 6 months later saved for an XVS250 which had tones of mechanical faults, got it in October last year didnt ride it for ages put 280 miles on it due to these faults. Got rid of the xvs 3 months ago then got this one. Its riding position is better than the Ninja. I am not planning on getting it derestricted for some time.

I need to get used to it all over again.

Just came home smiling my face off! I really loved that ride, just changed how I was riding a little bit. My breaking is fine just the clutch control wasnt....

Brilliant :)

Senna(Dan)
26-04-13, 04:26 PM
Glad to hear it is going well Maz.
Time off the bike will make you rusty and especially if you are transferring to new bikes after some time away. Good news to see that a few rides has got you back in love with two wheels, now to keep on that road.

Maz
26-04-13, 06:23 PM
I know, I am quite rusty! Its the clutch that am finding the most difficult but I nailed it when I went out! I am looking forward to my next outing. Tomorrow I am cleaning the bike and Tuesday (hopefully Monday) ill be on it again. I have a leg tattoo Saturday and I dont want my boots to rub on it. Just means ill bester crazy

wheelers
01-05-13, 10:21 AM
just updating, have heard Maz has had an off, back wheel locked up again. she is sat in hospital at the mo. going to look at bike later for her.

Jon_W
01-05-13, 10:40 AM
Oh dear! GWS Maz, hope it isn't too bad.

Last Train
01-05-13, 10:58 AM
GWS Mas

Rabb
01-05-13, 01:47 PM
GWS Maz - I was sorry to hear this!

Uber Dave
01-05-13, 03:36 PM
GWS Maz!

Jacde
01-05-13, 03:43 PM
Aww bugger, hope there's not too much damage to you or the bike and gws chick.

Your clutch usage, are you finding it difficult to use the lever?? When you're back on the bike it may well be worth considering changing the clutch lever to a small one, I had to do that on my bike for both clutch and front break, little hands and fingers don't work so well with full sized levers!

BB
01-05-13, 04:17 PM
Hope you are ok and get back out there soon!

BB

Conehead
01-05-13, 05:30 PM
Sorry to hear you have had an off Maz. GWS.

Uber Dave
01-05-13, 07:43 PM
Aww bugger, hope there's not too much damage to you or the bike and gws chick.

Your clutch usage, are you finding it difficult to use the lever?? When you're back on the bike it may well be worth considering changing the clutch lever to a small one, I had to do that on my bike for both clutch and front break, little hands and fingers don't work so well with full sized levers!

Further to that are the revs dropping to zero from high up when you are releasing the clutch (as in when you pull the clutch in do the revs drop right down)? If so the back wheel will be locking because of the compression on the 600 engine is much higher than the 250 was. Either blip the throttle if the revs drop to idle to better match the engine speed with that of the back wheel or very slowly let out the clutch lever so they come back into sync rather than "dumping" the clutch lever. I have done it on a few occasions and locked the real end up as a result on old bike (my R6 has a slipper clutch so doesn't do it)

May be worth getting someone else you trust or someone from the forums here to ride it to see if its normal or broken?

That's for another day, hope you are better soon!

Scotty
02-05-13, 07:59 AM
....or using too much rear brake?

Goldie
02-05-13, 10:31 PM
oh no, get better soon, Maz :(

Loops
02-05-13, 11:02 PM
....or using too much rear brake?

It's easily done, I did it on the CBR a couple of times when I first got it. Take it easy when you're back out :)

redken1
03-05-13, 07:18 PM
Sorry to hear this news Maz GWS

SBQE2
03-05-13, 07:33 PM
GWS

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD