PDA

View Full Version : Hello and Help!

julia
19-09-09, 09:05 AM
Hello everyone in Wiltshire :D
I am Julia a 42 year old married, mother of 2 and serving soldier. I live in Warminster. This is a long story, but to put it quite abruptly, passed my test in 95 have never been able to afford a bike and car, so never owned a bike. My dad loved bikes to the max, he died in 2005 and left me his 2004 fazer 1000. I couldnt bare to look at it until now. Well last night actually, it is now sitting outside my kitchen window :) I know nothing about bikes, can someone help, tell me what i need to do first? How much work will need doing before i ride it (Obviously after so long in storage, although it is mint))? How much i should be looking at paying, where i should be getting it done? Even done to where i can get refresher leasons after so long?
Anyway thank you for taking the time to read all this, hopefully i will on that beauty before i know it :)

Karl
19-09-09, 09:19 AM
Hello and welcome. I am no expert, but you will find plenty of people here, who are willing to help. Hope to see you on the road soon! :)

Gerry
19-09-09, 09:33 AM
Hi Julia,
Welcome to the forum [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Re getting the bike looked over, I'm sure you will have other suggestions from more qualified bikers in the area (had mine 4 months) but I've used Jon at Q-Tech in Bowerhill, Melksham for my company vans & cars and now my bike.
Smallish company run by keen bikers and who seem really talkable to and friendly.
Linky: http://www.qtechautoservices.co.uk/
There are places closer, but I've no experience of them.

Re refresher courses, I passed my DAS with Phoenix at Amesbury (HQ based at Tisbury) and they run them and did me proud.
Linky: http://www.phoenixtrainingonline.co.uk/centre-amesbury.asp

Again I know there are closer ones but don't know how good they are.

Best of luck getting (back) on two wheels.

G

julia
19-09-09, 09:44 AM
Thank you, so far so good. Sorry about the spelling earlier, i was so excited about getting the thread up i didnt even check it! I will get a couple a photos on in a sec, when i can drag myself away from the kitchen window (bikes just outside) to get washied and dressed :)

julia
19-09-09, 10:05 AM
Pics are too big, i dont know how to make 'em smaller so i will just put them on Facebook. Please feel free to add me Julia Eversfield was Kirkham.

BB
19-09-09, 11:07 AM
Hi and welcome to WB [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Plenty of advice and opinions to be had on here! :D No expert on where to go but personally I used Pheonix in Trowbridge for my FZ1 and Able Training also in Trowbridge (who is also on here) when I needed refresher training.

Hope you get it on the road soon, take care & stay safe - that's a big beastie after so long a break from riding!

BB

julia
19-09-09, 02:59 PM
BB,

Thank you, as for the big Beastie, it's only as nasty as you make it.

Roll_on
19-09-09, 03:18 PM
Able Training from Trowbridge would certainly be your best bet for refresher training. As for your bike the advice given on local bike dealers should be ok to get your bike up and running. Maybe a drive over to the Sally to our bike meet would help you make a few friends and who knows maybe even get a bit of free help.
Anyway welcome to Wiltshire Bikers.

julia
19-09-09, 03:40 PM
I have managed to get a pic on :D

I have booked it in with Roy Vincent on Tuesday (anyone heard of him), i couldnt wait. It seems after looking at it proper, there's a couple of things that have been detached; this pipe thing, no idea what it is! The battery (Obviously). I am gonna have to get the manual out.

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss99/justjulia_uk/005-1.jpg

and a link to my new baby.

BB
19-09-09, 05:55 PM
Looks good, lets hope it's back on the road soon. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

As you say, it's only as nasty as you make it. I've known people who have frightened me to death riding a 125! (Not you HMB!) My FZ1 was a pussycat or a tiger depending how you rode it! 8-)

BB

julia
19-09-09, 06:00 PM
Thank you BB,

Goshhhhhhhh (that would have been a naughty word normally but i am trying my best to be polite, my language is atrocious!) i can't wait!!!

finbar
19-09-09, 06:12 PM
Hi Julia,

Welcome and I am more than happy to help you out (PM sent) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cheers,

Finbar

6T
20-09-09, 08:58 AM
welcome to wb Julia [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bonnielass
20-09-09, 09:05 AM
Hello and welcome. I too can recommend Able Training, I had a little off and lost confidence and having a day with Mark's trusty crew helped a lot.
When you feel a little more confident a day out with WB would be good, they are all a great bunch and will help to give you confidence.

Mas1
20-09-09, 09:59 AM
Hi Juila i may be able help with a bit of training iam doing my training to be a instructor if this would help you [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

julia
20-09-09, 10:08 AM
Satch'

that would be fantastic! Even to just get me back on the bike as soon as its ready to go would be good. Yes please. I will give you a shout as soon as its sorted, should be done by next weekend (not that i am in a rush or ought!)

:)Julia

KP
20-09-09, 08:03 PM
hello and welcome along... i wont give any advice as lots of peeps have given good stuff already, hope to see you out and about soon.

kev

darrenatthesally
20-09-09, 08:24 PM
hi and welcome to the wb hope you get the bike up and running soon and we see you down the sally

julia
20-09-09, 10:10 PM
Thank you everyone for your tremendous welcome and the Sally is a definate as soon as i can ride the beast ....

:)Julia

Geordie Stu
21-09-09, 09:04 AM
Hi welcome to WB.

This is the time to get your bike checked as winter draws ever nearer, book it in for a service (not sure of a local garage in Warminster :(

A basic srevice should get you away, Oil & Oil filter, Plugs, Air filer & chain these are basic things but as its stood for some time best get a garage to look at it.

Refresher courses have a chat with Able Training / Mark he will help you out.

Good [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Luck

FJ_Biker
21-09-09, 11:19 AM
Hello Julia

Ryan
23-09-09, 08:09 PM
Hi, welcome to WB :)

Kevinb
26-09-09, 09:32 AM
Hello and welcome.
Able training are very good (got my wife through her test a few years a go). Also have a look at doing a bike safe course (devizes is the closest), but I'm not sure if they have had the last one for this year.

Kev

Snowy
26-09-09, 06:20 PM
The last Bikesafe is next Sunday, Oct 4th. I'm doing this one as I have always missed them and have heard they are in trouble for doing them next year, at least as free. There's a website somewhere.

Mark_Able
26-09-09, 07:49 PM
Hi Julia,

We could get you started again on a 125 for a couple of hours, then switch you onto one of our 500's, and maybe finish the day doing a couple of hours on your own bike. I'm guessing if you did your test back in '95, it was the old 125 test? So does that mean you've never ridden anything bigger than a 125? If so, you might want a bit more time than that before stepping onto that big ol' 1000.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Mark... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

crewy
27-09-09, 09:37 PM
Hello and welcome to WB, Hope you get everything sorted [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

igbell
07-10-09, 10:09 PM
Yellow and welcome [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bikermouse
17-10-09, 05:28 PM
HI and welcome Julia

kj

Roxy
17-10-09, 07:17 PM
Julia

are you up and running yet chick?

roxy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

dazlow
18-10-09, 08:52 AM
Hi Julia,

Just to let you know I have had my bike serviced at Roy Vincents in Warminster and he is fine and cheap! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
There are a couple of bikers from the camp area on this site already, both work up at Harman Lines (Tanky Types, though good lads! :P)

Anyway welcome and when I finally gat back to Blighty will hopefully see you out on a rideout.

Beamer
18-10-09, 08:57 PM
welcome to WB julia ;D

julia
20-10-09, 09:04 PM
Thx Daz :)

julia
20-10-09, 09:05 PM
and Beamer .....sorry nearly missed you out :(

Angel
21-10-09, 08:28 PM
Hi Julia and welcome [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Being a newbie to the WB aswell

Nice bike BTW, my advice would be to take to a Bike Garage and give it a complete overhaul (Ie Service etc)

Ride Safe 8-)

julia
22-10-09, 09:34 PM
Thank you Ice hunter.....we are now on the road :)

Roll_on
30-10-09, 06:03 PM
I have heard your bike is now up and running and you are starting to get a bit of practice in. Give a shout if ever you want to go for a little ride and start to get a few miles under your belt, I'm often out and about doing local runs.

dieselmoteur
14-12-09, 01:47 AM
good to see that you have finally put the bike in road ready condition. I am surprised that nobody suggested a very important safety issue for a bike that has sat around for a few years. I am speaking of the brake fluid. Brake fluid naturally absorbs water from the atmosphere over time and should be replaced. Please promise me that this has been done by you or your mechanic! ;)

jack930
22-12-09, 11:24 PM
Hi and welcome,,seen the bike out side the house,their is a few of us in WB that live on the patch,, catch u around [smiley=thumbsup.gif]