PDA

View Full Version : Hiya guys & gals

Rabb
28-11-10, 11:26 PM
Hi All,
Happy to be on-board.
I have returned to bikes after a 25 year lapse.
CBT completed.
Theory test - 7.12.10
I dont have a full license yet but I am looking to take the test in January / February.

I am thinking of getting a GSXR 750 or CBR600 - any thoughts 'for or against' as I have been away from bikes for so long. Your knowledge would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for replies.

Rabb.

Jacde
29-11-10, 12:07 AM
Hello and Welcome Rabb
Well done on passing your CBT, theory isn't that difficult so don't worry about it, get the Mod1&2 done and dusted and you won't look back :)
I've got a xj6s and love it, but others will let you know their thoughts of the 2 bikes you have in mind.

BB
29-11-10, 07:30 AM
Hi and welcome to WB [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Where are you based?

BB

Nelly
29-11-10, 07:41 AM
Hiya Rabb and welcome. Best of luck with the tests. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Scotty
29-11-10, 07:51 AM
Hey Rabb, welcome aboard :)
Have you been suduced by the glamour of sexy sports bikes then? My advice would be don't be tempted to go too far and fast too soon, especially if you're potentially taking your test in the middle of winter. It's 25 years since you were last on a bike, and that wouldn't have been bigger than a 125, and you haven't mentioned getting a 125 to learn on before taking your test so you could be going into it a bit "cold". If you do DAS, maybe cut your teeth on something a little more sedate and forgiving than a full-on sports bike, perhaps a naked SV650 or an ER-6, do a few months on something like that in order to learn to ride in real life situations (as opposed to learning to get through a test with an instructor's voice constantly in your ear) and then move on to something more extreme in the summer when you have a few miles under your belt...
That's just my take on it, many may differ, but whatever you choose to do there'll be plenty of support and encouragement from everyone on here :) 8-)

Squashed_Fly
29-11-10, 07:58 AM
Hi Rabb - welcome. I'm a newbie to the forum too (although strangely it feels like I've been here all my life already!)!

Those are some quite serious bikes you've mentioned considering how much things will have changed since you were last on a bike. I've not long passed my test, however I have been riding for the last 10 years fairly constantly, and on some bigger bikes too (where legal to do do of course!)

I went for the slightly older ZX6R (636) as I too wanted a sports bike, but this is the most forgiving of them all, but it retains great performance. Possibly a good consideration for a year or so, and then move up to a Gixxer 750? My dream bike has always been the '98 R1. I'm giving myself 2 years on the ninja, then if I'm comfortable, 2 years on a 750 then get the R1 I always wanted.

Last Train
29-11-10, 09:35 AM
Hi Rabb

Good luck with your test.

.... whatever you choose to do there'll be plenty of support and encouragement from everyone on here :) 8-)

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/signs/smiley-vault-signs-016.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

AlanMc
29-11-10, 11:14 AM
Hi Rabb

Welcome to WB

Nice to meet you today, the gloves are great.
I passed in June this year and ave never looked back

Best of luck [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hazel-nut
29-11-10, 11:24 AM
hi and welcome to wb [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
i cant give you much advice on the bikes as im still trying to afford my 125 :P

Bonnielass
29-11-10, 12:25 PM
Hello and welcome. Can't give you the advice that the men will give you but I started on an SV 650 which was a really good first bike. Good luck on your tests! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

redken1
29-11-10, 05:41 PM
Hi and welcome- I would agree with some of the previous comments Rabb and suggest you consider something a little more sedate that a 750 sports bike. It is a massive leap from a 125 to a 750 nowadays when you consider a 1980 gs suzuki was putting out approx 55 bhp.

slowr1der
29-11-10, 05:57 PM
GSXR 750 k7 awesome bike [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Beamer
29-11-10, 06:32 PM
welcome to WB .....theres a few of us looking at doing out mod 1+2 next year....so good luck [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Toph
29-11-10, 06:44 PM
Hi Rabb, welcome to Wiltshire Bikers! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
good luck with the test!! 8-)

smellygerm
29-11-10, 07:04 PM
hey dude good luck with the test and whitch ever bike you choose have fun. your always welcome to join a ride out, its a good learning curve and you get plenty of tips from the old gits (safety in numbers) ;D anyway welcome from the harp & crown bike meet [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Green Man
29-11-10, 07:09 PM
Hi and welcome to WB [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mark_Able
29-11-10, 08:19 PM
Hi Rabb, welcome to the site... :)
Not wanting to contradict anyone, but my advice would be CBR600F. It's a fantastic bike, and quite forgiving. If you want to ride like 'Driving Miss Daisy', you can do. If you want to go touring, you can do that too. If you want to ride like a loony, it'll do that too. The CBR600RR is too much as a first bike. And as for the GSXR750, it's mental. You could get yourself in trouble with that. I know folks will say 'it'll only go as fast as you opening the throttle', but controlling that throttle takes a lot more on the GSXR compared to the CBR. The CBR is such a forgiving bike, with a good riding position, it's good for novices. But, when you get used to it, it'll go like a missile too. No one needs more than a 600 on the road. Any extra cubes is just making up for a deficiency in the trouser department. That's why I ride a 1000... :-[ [smiley=happy.gif]

Mas1
29-11-10, 08:39 PM
Hello and welcome. All the best with your test
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
29-11-10, 08:42 PM
Welcome. Glad to see another getting into motorcycling.

Am with Mark on the CBR600F, top bike. Also look at a V twin such as the SV650s. Would also advise looking at flat bar bikes such as the Honda hornet.

Good luck!

Rabb
29-11-10, 09:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am truly overwhelmed by your welcome messages and sound advice - Thanks everyone!
I will let you know how I get on with the test next week - (p.s. the DSA Biker pack DVD and CD Rom are great points of ref)
I would like to answer you all individually

Jacde - Thanks for setting my mind at rest about the theory test.
BB - Costa Del Trowbridge.
Nelly - Thanks.
Scotty - Thanks for the sound advice.
Squashed Fly - I have looked at this bike too (ZX6R)
Last Train - Thanks.
NightV1per - Great to meet you too!
Hazelnut - Keep saving.
Bonnie lass - This is another bike that I have looked at too!
Redken - I totally agree with you.
Slow1der - My mate has a Bandit and he swears by the engine (same as GSXR.
Beamer - Good luck with yor tests next year!
Toph - Thanks.
Smellygerm - I will and Thanks for the invite!
Greenman - Thanks for the warm welcome.
Able Training - Great advice, thanks for taking the time to respond.
Satch - Thanks.
Jon W - Thanks for adding to Marks good advice.

Kind Regards, Rabb [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

bobf279
29-11-10, 09:35 PM
hi and welcome

Rabb
29-11-10, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the Welcome BobF
I look forward to meeting you all when I am fully licensed.

BB
29-11-10, 10:27 PM
There are a few of us from Cost Del Trowbridge on here! :D

BB

Morticia
30-11-10, 07:04 AM
I used to have a CBR, which I loved when it worked...I have a gixxar, 600, and love even more. But I do miss the crotch rocket

Hello and welcome.

Geordie Stu
30-11-10, 09:04 AM
I Rab welcome to WB [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

KP
30-11-10, 12:31 PM
hello and welcome [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Caz
30-11-10, 08:08 PM
Hi and welcome to WB :)

Mark_Able
30-11-10, 08:11 PM
Bandit doesn't have GSXR engine. It has the rather dated GSX600F engine. I personally think there are better bikes for the same sort of money, i.e. CBR600F, Yam Fazer, Honda Hornet. All easy to ride, all reliable, all got more power than a Bandit (and I think lighter too). [smiley=happy.gif]

redken1
30-11-10, 08:32 PM
Hi Rabb, welcome to the site... :)
Not wanting to contradict anyone, but my advice would be CBR600F. It's a fantastic bike, and quite forgiving. If you want to ride like 'Driving Miss Daisy', you can do. If you want to go touring, you can do that too. If you want to ride like a loony, it'll do that too. The CBR600RR is too much as a first bike. And as for the GSXR750, it's mental. You could get yourself in trouble with that. I know folks will say 'it'll only go as fast as you opening the throttle', but controlling that throttle takes a lot more on the GSXR compared to the CBR. The CBR is such a forgiving bike, with a good riding position, it's good for novices. But, when you get used to it, it'll go like a missile too. No one needs more than a 600 on the road. Any extra cubes is just making up for a deficiency in the trouser department. That's why I ride a 1000... :-[ [smiley=happy.gif]

You don't wear shorts Mark? ;D

Jon_W
07-12-10, 02:52 PM
Bandit doesn't have GSXR engine. It has the rather dated GSX600F engine. I personally think there are better bikes for the same sort of money, i.e. CBR600F, Yam Fazer, Honda Hornet. All easy to ride, all reliable, all got more power than a Bandit (and I think lighter too). [smiley=happy.gif]

Is based on the old oil cooled GSXR 750/1100 engines de-tuned. Would agree there are now far better 600 or 1200 bikes about. The other not lised I'd look for are the Sv650, Cagiva Raptor (same engine as the SV), Yam Thundercat, Triumph Speed Four

Ryan
07-12-10, 09:46 PM
Welcome to WB

Rabb
08-12-10, 09:04 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for the great welcome from you all!
I would also like to thank you for the sound advice on which bike to buy.

I took my Theory & Hazard perception test yesterday and I..............

PASSED :D

Thanks to everyone for the confidence building posts. CHEERS!!!
Bring on the practical test :-/

Beamer
08-12-10, 09:07 PM
WELL DONE RABB.....excellent stuff [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Lorraine
08-12-10, 09:07 PM
Hi All,

Well done [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Scaredy_Cat
08-12-10, 09:08 PM
Congratulations on the theory pass! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Good luck with the practicals - fingers crossed the weather improves soon. :)

Geordie Stu
08-12-10, 09:13 PM
Welcome to WB. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Viking
12-12-10, 11:03 PM
HI and welcome good luck with your test

Nick

Rabb
25-07-11, 09:55 PM
Hi All,

Update : Passed mod 1 - 2 weeks ago (2 minors) ;D

(1st time pass)

Scaredy_Cat
26-07-11, 10:09 AM
Congratulations Rabb - when's Mod 2? 8-)

Si
26-07-11, 11:53 AM
Welcome! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Roxy
26-07-11, 02:04 PM
welcome to WB

Roxy

Rabb
26-07-11, 08:08 PM

Thursday 11th August - in Bristol
16 days and I will have my full licence!
(I don't like to take tests twice)
Only things to remember:
1. Indicator cancellation ( I have a plan for this )
2. Watch my speeds!
Thanks for the interest

Rabb.

Rabb
27-07-11, 08:17 PM

Thursday 11th August - in Bristol
16 days and I will have my full licence!
(I don't like to take tests twice)
Only things to remember:
1. Indicator cancellation ( I have a plan for this )
2. Watch my speeds!
Thanks for the interest

Rabb.

Update : I looked around for a long time trying to decide what bike to buy.
Found an un-repeatable deal on a bike that had only done 8600 miles.
GSXR 600 - I like to give myself a challenge! A bit twitchy on throttle response but
boy oh boy, I can't get the silly grin off my face every time I go out on it!
It's my pride & joy and a massive adrenaline rush on every ride.
Thanks for all the good advice.
Rgds, Rabb

NiteW4tcher
27-07-11, 08:36 PM
what model year gsxr600 m8? oh sorry im bit slow

Welcome to WB :)

i ride a k6 gsxr-750 the animal it is. just watch that throttle mid corner m8 dont crack it open to fast ;)

Rabb
27-07-11, 08:51 PM
what model year gsxr600 m8? oh sorry im bit slow

Welcome to WB :)

i ride a k6 gsxr-750 the animal it is. just watch that throttle mid corner m8 dont crack it open to fast ;)

No - much older than that!
V Reg 1999/2000 (carb)
Virtually immaculate.
Yes the mileage is deceptive - but I have all the MOT's and mileages tally exactly.
I assume used as a Sunday bike in fair weather only as it had only done 400 and 200 miles two years running proved by the MOT's.
Bargain of the first order - engines aren't properly run in until you hit 10000!
Rabb :D

Mas1
01-08-11, 08:59 PM
Hello and Welcome :)

NoYou
01-08-11, 11:19 PM
Welcome to WBs, whatever you get hope to see you on a ride soon!

Rabb
05-08-11, 11:54 PM
Mod 2 test on Thursday - now I'm bricking it because it's so important that I pass - I don't want to wait another month for a re-test should I fail.........!

newnut
06-08-11, 04:06 PM
good luck with the test mate. im sure you'll be fine. it's over before you know it! looking forward to seein the 600 soon! great choice of bike. your gonna be out on it every chance you get and those smiles never really seem to stop! good luck again!

Rabb
06-08-11, 07:35 PM
good luck with the test mate. im sure you'll be fine. it's over before you know it! looking forward to seein the 600 soon! great choice of bike. your gonna be out on it every chance you get and those smiles never really seem to stop! good luck again!
Thanks newnut or is it Goldmember? ;D

newnut
06-08-11, 10:43 PM
[/quote]
Thanks newnut or is it Goldmember? ;D[/quote]

;D ;D dunno what it is yet!

crewy
08-08-11, 09:45 AM
Hello and welcome to WB [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

As most people have said bikes have changed a lot in 25 years so take it steady ;)

Rabb
08-08-11, 07:53 PM
Hello and welcome to WB [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

As most people have said bikes have changed a lot in 25 years so take it steady ;)

Thanks for the words of encouragement - I' ve been riding my gixxer for 4 mon
ths and I know how 'twitchy' it can be however, I now know what it can and can't do and my skills are growing on each ride - so much so that I am going into my mod 2 test cold.
My instructor reckons that I will fly through without a hitch.

abxv535
09-08-11, 10:37 PM
Hi and welcome to wb 8-)