PDA

View Full Version : Mark - new to biking

MARKTITCOMBE
19-08-12, 07:28 PM
Hi Everyone

I'm just in the process of taking my Direct Access so not a fully fledged biker yet.
Unfortunately failed my mod2 on Friday after what I thought was a really good safe ride. The examiner clearly didn't have the same opinion though and picked up on a couple of things that were not worth mentioning really, so I am feeling thoroughly p............. off. Just want to be a boring old man sensible type of rider really. Not much to ask is it? Anyone else failed after thinking they'd done really well? Would love to hear from you.
At the moment I've got a little 500 Street bike but would love to get a bigger tourer some day after getting used to riding the little one. Have driven fast cars for years so I really know the roads and am good at preplanning etc but these days they seem to want too much in order for one to pass mod 2. Some of what they expect is actually dangerous if you ask me. Anyone else think so?

Anyway I've gotta start building some kinda profile so hopefully i'll get to know some of you good people soon.

Cheers

Mark

BB
19-08-12, 08:14 PM
Hi Mark and welcome to WB 8-) Sorry to hear about the fail, but sure you will get it next time ;)

BB

Nelly
19-08-12, 08:16 PM
welcome Mark :)
2nd time lucky then ;)

Mas1
19-08-12, 08:17 PM
Hello Mark and Welcome :) Hope you Get it Next Time :)

Green Man
19-08-12, 08:20 PM
Hi and welcome to WB Mark [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

goz1960
19-08-12, 08:32 PM
Hello and welcome mark good luck for next time.

Wes
19-08-12, 08:34 PM
Hi mate and welcome :)

Last Train
19-08-12, 08:47 PM
Evenin'

:)

cerruti
19-08-12, 09:26 PM
Hi Mark and welcome to WB.

Sorry to hear you failed your mod2 :( You will nail it next time. Have you had some training with an instructor or are you flying solo?

I recently did mine but I don't recall feeling that anything I was asked to do was dangerous - can you elaborate?

Conehead
19-08-12, 09:33 PM
Welcome to the madhouse. I think you can class yourself as a biker by getting this far. I failed my first MOD2 but was my own fault so cant complain. Good luck. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Rabb
19-08-12, 09:46 PM
Welcome Mark.
Believe me I know exactly how you feel - I've been where you are now.
It's all about ticking boxes these days.
Three bits of advice from me:
1. Relax - ride as if you are out on your own / with your instructor.
2. Lifesavers where appropriate.
3. Ensure you keep to speed limits (but don't ride too slowly - the examiner expects you to ride at 60 / 70 and look confident at that speed)

Good Luck for the next one. Just remember the following phrase
Illigitimi non caribundum (it's always served me well).

danwiltshire
19-08-12, 10:47 PM
Failed 1st time done all 100% correct but just before we turnt in to the test centre i got in the wrong lane for the round about after doing it correctly at the same round about before wasnt impressed proper rookie mistake but i was only 18 and hadnt driven or rode before so ill let myself off. What did you fail on?

camera.op76
20-08-12, 03:16 AM
Just want to be a boring old man sensible type of rider really. Not much to ask is it? <--- maybe you were a bit over cautious, it can happen. Stoping at roundabouts when you could use a bit of clutch control and alter your speed, find a gap, join and exit fluidly.

The Big examiner at the test center likes you to get up to the speed limit very rapidly. And obviously a good positive ride.

I failed my Mod1 first off. U-turn, which is f**kin pointless because I have yet to have used it... I was convinced I failed my Mod2, got back to the test center and I was informed I passed.

Better luck next time.

Bonnielass
20-08-12, 07:42 AM
Hello and welcome :) Good luck for next time! :)

RideSallyRide
20-08-12, 09:53 AM
Welcome Mark-sorry to hear your disappointment but with the good advice above hope all is good next time.

Dan505
20-08-12, 10:11 AM
Welcome Mark, don't hang about and get and rebook your MOD2, sure your pass easy 2nd attempt 8-)

Kopite
20-08-12, 12:58 PM
Hello and welcome :)

Lou
20-08-12, 04:57 PM
Welcome Mark, I failed my MOD 2 twice now...its very disheartening when you fail, but I am sure you will pass next time, I wish you the very best of luck :)

voodoo
20-08-12, 10:07 PM
don't sweat the first time fail, it'll make for a more satisfying pass next time

welcome to WB [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Geordie Stu
29-08-12, 08:39 AM
aalreet Mark. Welcome to WB. You'll be sure to pass next time Good Luck [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

MARKTITCOMBE
29-08-12, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the Welcome

Got my next test on Friday 7th so am praying I pass. It's bloomin depressing watching people ride around on their bikes and mines in the flippin garden.

Too slow in a National speed limit was the problem. I was doing just under 50 in the pouring rain and he said I should have been going faster. I thought safety was paramount? But clearly not.

How do I reply to everyone at once to say thanks for welcoming me etc?

Thanks all you people anyway, I really appreciate your comments and hope to be able to ride out with you at some stage

Cheers

Mark

silly_simon
29-08-12, 07:37 PM
Mark
You just have thanked everyone :)

BTW
Best of luck with the test mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

MARKTITCOMBE
29-08-12, 07:42 PM
Oh! Thats good then lol. I'm a bit of a dip **** with this kinda stuff. Will strive to improve however
Mark

MARKTITCOMBE
29-08-12, 07:43 PM
Welcome Mark, don't hang about and get and rebook your MOD2, sure your pass easy 2nd attempt 8-)
Bloody hope so lol

Dan505
29-08-12, 08:28 PM
positive thinking [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Goldie
30-08-12, 08:39 PM
welcome, Mark. Good luck on the 7th & hope to see you over the H&C somewhen ;)

DC
31-08-12, 05:06 PM
Hi and welcome to WB !!! 8-)

Rabb
05-09-12, 09:15 PM
Mark - I thought by what you said about doing something that you considered dangerous it might have been the national speed limit bit. I failed on exactly the same thing!
I was out in gale force blustery winds and driving rain to boot - and I only reached 55mph (which I considered safe for the crappy weather conditions)

When I passed I ensured I was in the correct lane and took off like a bat out of hell.
The examiner expects you to rapidly achieve the NSL - but watch your lane disciplines, signalling and lifesavers.

YOU will pass THIS FRIDAY. Ride with confidence as if you were out on your own (or with a nice friendly instructor) and you will fly through!

GOOD LUCK BUD - you will do it this time.

cerruti
05-09-12, 09:47 PM
When I did my Mod2 I imagined that I had my instructor talking to me thru the comms the whole way through as if he was telling me what to do... doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me.

Good luck with your test on Friday, think positive, stick to what your instructor has told you and you will sail through.

Rabb
05-09-12, 09:57 PM
When I did my Mod2 I imagined that I had my instructor talking to me thru the comms the whole way through as if he was telling me what to do... doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me.

Good luck with your test on Friday, think positive, stick to what your instructor has told you and you will sail through.

I do miss Marks dulcet tones and on-board jokes / remarks.
Now I just pop my iPod on and go.

Goldie
06-09-12, 02:00 PM

I do miss Marks dulcet tones and on-board jokes / remarks. me too, he's hilarious :-*

Jacde
06-09-12, 07:06 PM
Hello and welcome [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

cerruti
06-09-12, 07:49 PM

I do miss Marks dulcet tones and on-board jokes / remarks. me too, he's hilarious :-*

You know when he's eyeing up some totty as he goes very quiet for about 3 seconds ::)

voodoo
06-09-12, 07:55 PM
so true ;D

Rabb
06-09-12, 09:02 PM

You know when he's eyeing up some totty as he goes very quiet for about 3 seconds ::)

Yep I remember the 3 second pause too - shame I did my test in early spring - DOH!

Mark_Able
10-09-12, 10:05 PM

Yep I remember the 3 second pause too - shame I did my test in early spring - DOH!

My Mrs always complains it only 3 seconds as well... ;)

I don't know what you're all talking about. Don't you know I'm a trained observer... :)

Davehsw
17-09-12, 08:37 PM
I've heard rumours you even observe your students sometimes...

camera.op76
25-09-12, 01:02 PM
SoOOOOOOOOOO did you pass?

Goldie
25-09-12, 01:18 PM
SoOOOOOOOOOO did you pass?

http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1348169662

Jon_W
25-09-12, 01:39 PM
Welcome to WB!

Caz
11-10-12, 09:33 PM