PDA

View Full Version : DIY carb cleaning

Iceman
26-08-08, 01:01 PM
Im looking at 'spring cleaning' my carbs on the CBR600F4. Is this a job for pros? I've heard talk of balancing the carbs but not sure what's to go wrong other than adjusting the jets. Do I need a 'Gas exhaust Analyser' to set up correctly? If so,then it's not a job I can undertake myself. I was planning to buy some carb cleaner and just have a good look what i can do. Any info would be apreciated!

ONFIRE
26-08-08, 01:31 PM
Im looking at 'spring cleaning' my carbs on the CBR600F4. Is this a job for pros? I've heard talk of balancing the carbs but not sure what's to go wrong other than adjusting the jets. Do I need a 'Gas exhaust Analyser' to set up correctly? If so,then it's not a job I can undertake myself. I was planning to buy some carb cleaner and just have a good look what i can do. Any info would be apreciated!

Thought the CBR600F4 was F.I. :-?

8-)

6T
26-08-08, 02:40 PM
iceman as onfire has hinted your bike is probably fuel injected you, can buy injector cleaner wich you add to the fuel when filling up,if it does have carburettors it is something you can do yourself but ensure you buy a service kit before dismanltling carbs as you will need to replace gaskets,do not use any sharp objects/wire when cleaning jets an airline is best,if you have to replace pilot or main jets ensure they are the correct size/spec for your bike,setting of the fuel/air and timeing of the carbs will have dramatic effect on the engines performance if they are not set up correctly on a multi cylinder machine,so its probably best to have them proffesionally balanced/tuned.hope this helps steve :)

Iceman
26-08-08, 07:30 PM
The bike has a manual choke so is definately carbs! I think 'FI' came out in 2001.Mine is Sept 2000
:-/

ONFIRE
26-08-08, 07:49 PM
The bike has a manual choke so is definately carbs! I think 'FI' came out in 2001.Mine is Sept 2000
:-/

In that case , like 'Thunderbird' say's best to get it done professionally.
8-)

R1chie
26-08-08, 07:57 PM
2000 model is carbed

Iceman
26-08-08, 08:01 PM
ok lads.Cheers!

FJ_Biker
27-08-08, 04:08 PM
Dave the old saying of if its not broke then don’t fix it springs to mind, did fireblade gets his carbs balanced?

alanTDM
29-08-08, 05:36 PM
you need to balance 2 left carbs together inner and outer then the 2 right carbs together inner and outer then balance the the 2left carbs with the 2 right carbs easy peasy :) Oh yea you need a carb balancer to do it. a garage will charge you prob about £30 only takes about 5 mins to do,if i was you id have the carbs balanced first see how bike goes.