PDA

View Full Version : Chain and sprockets

nick1987
04-09-10, 03:46 PM
need to change my chain and sprockets, gonna get them ordered from buster's.

but am i right in thinking i need a special tool to join the chain?

does anybody know if there is there a cheaper 'bodged' alternative to going out and buying a special tool?

(edited to add - or does anybody have said tool that they would be happy to lend for a few hours? [payment in beers?? [smiley=thumbsup.gif]])

njl
04-09-10, 04:06 PM
I have always been put off by the tool cost vs amount of uses on return i'd get in having one.

If you look at it in two sections - breaking the old chain and joining the new one - I think to split the old chain you could (CAREFULLY) take an angle grinder to the rivet heads on the side plate of a link to split the chain, I've not done this yet myself so not sure if you then need a chain splitter still to pull the plate free - this of course being based on the old chain not being used again.

The simple way of joining the new one would be a split link but you'd not want to run one on bigger engine bikes, I've seen some talk online about using a C clamp and ball bearing to flare the new rivet ends.

TBH, the chain being so critical and hazardous to fail on you, I'd keep looking out for someone with prior practice and tools to come & help!

Toph
04-09-10, 05:19 PM
sorry to temporarily hi-jack this thread, but I'm looking for a chain and sprocket set for my Aprilia, the genuine Aprilia set is really expensive. Any suggestions or recommendations as to where I could get one a little cheaper? :-? [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

silly_simon
04-09-10, 05:28 PM
Mate is this on a fazer 600 ?

If so make sure you have a decent torque wrench to do the front sprocket up correctly as these have been known to undo themselve's and wreck the input shaft :o

In the kit from busters I doubt if it will have a new front sprocket nut or washer, i would make sure I had these from yamaha before starting the job [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I can get the part numbers for you if needed :)
I would need to know year of bike first though [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

mate go here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/whitem/Sevice%20Man%20Faz600.zip this is a yamaha service manual for the 600 [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

silly_simon
04-09-10, 05:37 PM
Toph
What is your model mate ?

nick1987
04-09-10, 05:52 PM
I have always been put off by the tool cost vs amount of uses on return i'd get in having one.

If you look at it in two sections - breaking the old chain and joining the new one - I think to split the old chain you could (CAREFULLY) take an angle grinder to the rivet heads on the side plate of a link to split the chain, I've not done this yet myself so not sure if you then need a chain splitter still to pull the plate free - this of course being based on the old chain not being used again.

The simple way of joining the new one would be a split link but you'd not want to run one on bigger engine bikes, I've seen some talk online about using a C clamp and ball bearing to flare the new rivet ends.

TBH, the chain being so critical and hazardous to fail on you, I'd keep looking out for someone with prior practice and tools to come & help!

i fully understand what you're saying mate, just not paying 50 quid when i'm only lacking 1 tool, and it seems a hammer and punch/drift is an acceptable substitute

i hadn't thought of grinding the old one off, that would be much quicker [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

nick1987
04-09-10, 05:57 PM
Mate is this on a fazer 600 ?

If so make sure you have a decent torque wrench to do the front sprocket up correctly as these have been known to undo themselve's and wreck the input shaft :o

In the kit from busters I doubt if it will have a new front sprocket nut or washer, i would make sure I had these from yamaha before starting the job [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I can get the part numbers for you if needed :)
I would need to know year of bike first though [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

mate go here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/whitem/Sevice%20Man%20Faz600.zip this is a yamaha service manual for the 600 [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

yes mate its a '98 FZS600, i've checked and its within my torque wrenches range
do the tabs on the lockwasher not hold?
cheers for the link mate, the haynes manual can be a little vague at times :-/

nick1987
04-09-10, 06:03 PM
alternatively, is there anyone here who would do it on the cheap? ::)

silly_simon
04-09-10, 06:04 PM
The lockwasher is best replaced [smiley=thumbsup.gif] as a matter of course

If you see here there is a rather large disscusion on the subject
http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/5415/t/Lost-your-front-sprocket-and-washer.html

It doesn't affect all bike's but some of the info may be of use mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

It is possible to change the chain by removing the swing arm as a whole item if you didn't want to mess about joining a chain or splitting one ;)

nick1987
04-09-10, 06:54 PM
thats a bit ominous, might start checking that more regularly, but the bike has done over 50k, so if it hasn't happened i don't reckon it will........

i had thought about that but wouldn't the new chain already be split?

CBRowner
04-09-10, 11:41 PM
I've got a chain tool that will split the old and connect the new if you'd like to borrow it??

Toph
05-09-10, 07:29 AM
Toph
What is your model mate ?
It's a 1997 model aprilia classic 125 cruiser Si. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

nick1987
05-09-10, 09:43 AM
I've got a chain tool that will split the old and connect the new if you'd like to borrow it??
thanks mate that would be ideal [smiley=thumbsup.gif] i'm in a little bit of a hurry to do it, are you back in uk?

CBRowner
05-09-10, 09:54 AM
I got back at stupid o'clock on friday [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

nick1987
05-09-10, 10:10 AM
I got back at stupid o'clock on friday [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
that sounds about right, seems 'stupid o'clock' is the only time the army knows!

they promised the kit would be here tuesday so would it be okay to pick it up today/tomorrow and drop it back wed/thur?

CBRowner
05-09-10, 04:46 PM
Yes mate, pm me and I'll dig it out from my tool kit [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

nick1987
05-09-10, 05:47 PM
cheers mate, pm sent [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
06-09-10, 01:52 PM
angle grind it off....
lock tight on the output shaft sprocket retaining nut.
slightly chamfer the new link side plate so thet it locates onto the pins correctly...
massively lubricate the new rivet link.
push the side plate on with a 7 or 8 mm socket and a G clamp.
either use the ball bearing method and G clamp, or use a lump hammer behind the link and a ball pein hammer to form a mushroom head to the pins that are now poking through the side plate.
dont mushroom the pins too much, as this will make the link tight.

eeeeeeasy :-)

Jon_W
06-09-10, 03:04 PM
Am with JayDee.

All the tool does is mushroom the end over. The same can be achieved by hammer. (I use a punch for added accuacy.... a matter of taste!!)

Is simple as long as you take your time.