PDA

View Full Version : Lowering a bike...

Taylor86
24-08-10, 10:32 PM
Just got a 30mm lowering kit for my Gladius (can manoevre it backwards easier now)...

Any advice on how to jack up the bike so the back wheel is off the ground without using a paddock stand?
And no, I don't have a centre stand on my beast... :-/

Dex
25-08-10, 08:55 AM
Easiest way is an abba stand, or if you know someone who has one you can just get the right fitting kit for there's.

Alternatively, bit of wood under the tail horizontally (near pillion hangers, with each end of the wood on axle stands.

I've jacked mine up (before I got the abba stand) by the rear shock linkage mount brackets, but its not as stable as the other ways.

Dex
25-08-10, 08:56 AM
Are you jacking it up to fit the lowering link, or to adjust chain etc?

Jon_W
25-08-10, 12:05 PM
I would advise borrowing a abba stand. Better safe than sorry.

rich1988
27-08-10, 12:19 AM
I have an abba stand and its by far the easiest way to do it! they are expensive ish (I bought mine new for around £100) but you can find them on ebay for cheaper, one thing to bear in mind is you need the bobbin kit for your bike

Scotty
27-08-10, 04:57 PM
When do you need it doing? It won't take long at all, I've got a big stand like an Abba but better and I swapped the lowering kit off Star's SV in about 10 minutes. I'm a bit busy this weekend but sure we could sort something out before next weekend if you're desperate :)

Taylor86
27-08-10, 07:12 PM
We've had an idea, but if it doesn't work out I may be in touch Scotty!! lol

It's not a rush to do, but I would like to feel a bit more secure when pushing my bike backwards so as soon as I can... :D

Taylor86
29-08-10, 09:19 PM
Woohoo!!! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Bike is lowered, and I even managed to back it into garage on my own!
Yes, that sounds silly, but there's a small rise to get it into the garage that I struggled with before ;D

One happy biker!

Dex
30-08-10, 09:55 AM
Great news :)

Bikermouse
14-09-10, 06:28 PM
Lowering kits are great for those of us short on legs..... I feel heaps better now that mine has been fitted.

Toph
17-09-10, 06:52 PM
lowering bikes is very common these days, I shorten sidestands for motorcycle dealerships all the time,

newnut
19-09-10, 08:29 PM
just a thought, your bike will be running wider on the bends now, u may wanna drop the yokes down on the fork legs. also your headlight will be aiming skyward now! no biggie but just bare it in mind.