PDA

View Full Version : GPz Love affair

thegasman2000
06-10-10, 08:53 AM
Well I love this bike and its already hurt me! The centre stand snapped and has removed my skin on my shin....

The only problem with the bike is a leaky carb.... It runs fine but quite a lot of fuel is running out the carbs and I was wondering if anyone has experience in replacing the seals, and which seals i need. Its an 84.

Mitch9128
06-10-10, 09:49 AM
Have checked that no fuel is coming through the vacuum line from the fuel tap?
Have you cleaned the carbs and checked the float heights are correct?

thegasman2000
06-10-10, 10:04 AM
No I am going to remove them tonight. Seems to be a bit of a pain! Was hoping there was a fix without removing them as it is running so well! :D

jonnydangerous
07-10-10, 08:12 AM
will have to take the air box mounts off and pull the box back as far as it will go...to give you room.
getting the carbs back in might be tricky, mind you dont damage the old rubbers....
the outer two rubbers between carb and air box can be a bit tricky to get on, the inner ones can be done by taking the air filter out and putting your hand in.......

check the float needles for dirt, put some new filters in now you have clean carbs, else nasty dirt/rust from your tank will find its way back in and youll have to do the job again.......

thegasman2000
07-10-10, 02:51 PM
got the carbs off, cleaned them then spent an hour in the dark trying to put them back in..... GRR need a trained Gibbon.

Try again tonight.

BB
07-10-10, 08:18 PM
Glad to hear your bike is keeping you entertained! ;) ;D

BB

thegasman2000
08-10-10, 10:33 AM
entertained yes, frustrated yes! Loving every second though. :)

Should I replace the air box with 4 individual pod filters? :o
Anyone does this?

thegasman2000
08-10-10, 11:30 AM
one more thing... (isnt there always!)

SHould i remove the engine, and respray the frame etc? Is this a professional job or can a rookie like me remove it without messing it up completely... Just thinking whilst its off the road its a good time to strip and repaint to avoid rust etc.

crewy
08-10-10, 12:33 PM
As it's only off the road for a minor thing, i would get it sorted and get back out and ridding it. Unless you plan not to use it at all through the winter then maybe worth doing

Mitch9128
08-10-10, 12:51 PM
Looking for trouble replacing the airbox for pods, why not set a baseline and get it working as is for now?

thegasman2000
08-10-10, 12:57 PM
The only reason I was looking to replace the airbox was for ease of getting the bl**dy thing back in! and perhaps some performance increase but thats not important. I would love to ride it ASAP but when is it going to be in pieces in the garage again....

thegasman2000
09-10-10, 04:35 PM
Ok so now I have the most frustrating problem ever! :-[ The lcd fuel guage connector is dodgy. This means the bike will not even try and starty as the fuel pump is attached to it. Sotried bypassing it, didnt work. Tried wiggling it and all sorts but it only works when the tank ti tilted up, like when you remove it. Ebay wants 25 quid for a new one which is a tad expensive for old parts.

I have reconnected the carbs and want to get the motor running again but no luck with this stupif electrical problem. :-/

Mitch9128
09-10-10, 05:16 PM
http://jamorama.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/GreenPetrolCanTH.jpg
&
http://www.manifold.com.hk/images/matches-sticklight.jpg
;)

thegasman2000
09-10-10, 05:46 PM
But its ace!

Jon_W
11-10-10, 10:35 AM
sounds like your having a good time.....

... the joy of older bikes.

I would stick with the air box... is a better base line to check your carbs are working ok.

jonnydangerous
11-10-10, 12:48 PM
keep the standard air box, this will be easier to set up properly, as the "Stand Off" resonance in the inlet tract is cancelled out much more effectively by the box and air inlets.
individual filters can be a nightmare to set up for minimal gains.....

thegasman2000
11-10-10, 07:09 PM
yeah gonna keep it standard... Fed up with the fuel lcd though. gonna pop it in the oven to reflow the pcb. cant afford another one just been made redundant... >:(

thegasman2000
16-10-10, 04:29 PM
Got the beast running again, but without a filter on the air intake at all. I am gonna go for the 4 pod filters for the simple fact that they are easire to install, and the carbs need balancing anyway. does anyone know where i might get some :D :D :D cheap?

Scotty
17-10-10, 02:26 PM
Oh the joys of pre-beam framed bikes.... Carbs will be much easier to remove and refit without the standard airbox, but it'll take a lot of fettling to get them running properly with K&Ns or whatever you end up using, and they'll be noisy as well. Before you spend time balancing the carbs you may as well check and adjust all the valve clearances and balance the carbs when you've done that. It's normally a piece of cake on Kawasakis with CV carbs, attach the gauge hoses to the appropriate balance take-offs (hopefully they're on the top of the carbs on this one, not underneath on the inlet manifold like they can be...) and balance carbs 1&2 together by the small adjuster screw between them, then carbs 3&4 likewise, then the pairs of carbs together by the screw between #s 2&3 - dead easy [smiley=thumbsup.gif] - Don't lose the vacuum take-off caps!
You mentioned a fuel pump - I wasn't aware that these had a fuel pump as they gravity-feed to the carbs from the tank don't they? (I don't think this model is injected as you've been talking about carbs all through so far...)

Jon_W
20-10-10, 03:44 PM
Kawasaki seem keen on fuel pumps. Some carb'd ZZR's had them, some didn't.... they are not so much fuel pumps as flow controllers.