PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Gears

CBRowner
15-10-10, 07:01 PM
Does anyone know what causes the gear shift pedal to not return back to it's original position?

I'm guessing that when the engine was stripped, the return spring's not been put back into place.

Does that sound right and if so, does that mean I now have to strip the clutch first before access?? >:(

Mitch9128
15-10-10, 08:18 PM
Dunno, but on the 9r i have to strip the gear selector regularly and grease. Like here http://www.zx-9r.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22019

CBRowner
15-10-10, 08:21 PM
It moves freely but it doesn't return to it's original position and I have to move it slightly to change gear which isn't god when you're trying to burn away traffic and I bet it's an MOT fail as well :(

I just don't fancy stripping the clutch down just to sort a spring out because it'll mean a new gasket and I'll need to set the clutch up again >:(

Mitch9128
15-10-10, 08:57 PM
Not necessarily a new gasket, i used to change my bandit clutch or springs on a regular basis, think i only once changed the gasket once. Whack it on the sidestand and no oil change either, or lay it on an old mattress if it doesn't lay over far enough.

CBRowner
15-10-10, 09:10 PM
Sounds like a ball ache considering it was fine until the engine was removed to sort an oil leak.

The bike doesn't hold a charge, the radiator leaks, I've still got an oil leak, and it's bigger than before, and now my gear's don't work properly

This is the last thing that I'm doing to the bike because I can't keep spending money on it for it to remain in an unridable state.

Jon_W
18-10-10, 08:22 AM
Sounds like the return spring is Fubar. Either that or the pedal is rotating on the shaft....

CBRowner
18-10-10, 09:48 PM
I don't think the return spring was fitted otherwise the gears would work like they did before the engine was stripped.

I'm now looking for another bike because I've had enough of all the problems that I've faced with this bike. I'm taking it to a garage to get the gear problem sorted and then I'm getting rid of it to whoever wants to take this project on from here.

It doesn't need much work doing to it but it will need an MOT and then the bike needs registering but that's is because everything's brand new on the thing

jonnydangerous
19-10-10, 08:25 AM
there is a return spring on the foot change shaft, it will be behind the clutch basket, and isnt a hard job to do Emlyn, and not that expensive either, some models like the early GSXR's were prone to wearing through the spring, and having a piece of spring floating round in the oil.....
not sure about CBR's tho, maybe it wasnt fitted after your strip, or maybe its slipped off the stops and got nothing to push against? or maybe its just failed?

dont give up over this, its a cheap fix.

when you pop over to but my trailer you need to talk to me about a deal on fixing your CBR.... ;-)
JayDee....

jonneyflame
20-10-10, 08:28 PM
the return spring should be fine, (i checked it twice), i think that the shaft that attaches to the gear pedal has scored the oil seal when it was removed, the shaft had burrs on it and took a lot of effort to remove (your supposed to replace the seal if you remove the the shaft). it was tight when the shaft was replaced and i though it would loosen off with time. a new seal one wont cost much but you need to ensure any burring form the shaft is removed prior to replacement, this is why its important to give the bike a good once over prior to using it. unfortunately the radiator stopped us from doing this.

Morticia
21-10-10, 07:42 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but sounds to me like you're blaming Steve??? Cause if you are, you and me need to have a word mate.

CBRowner
21-10-10, 07:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but sounds to me like you're blaming Steve??? Cause if you are, you and me need to have a word mate.

I'm not blaming anyone, especially not Steve.

I looked on the CBR forum for a similar problem and the return spring seems to be the most common fault for the gear not returning to its original position.

I have sent Steve a text explaining that I meant no harm by this post and that I was only after some advise as to what was the fault and what was the best remidy for it :-[

jonneyflame
21-10-10, 08:10 PM
Emlyn, I'm not bothered, but you could have just called and i could have explained, however i did go through this with you when you were down with the bike

Morticia
22-10-10, 07:57 AM

I'm not blaming anyone, especially not Steve.

I looked on the CBR forum for a similar problem and the return spring seems to be the most common fault for the gear not returning to its original position.

I have sent Steve a text explaining that I meant no harm by this post and that I was only after some advise as to what was the fault and what was the best remidy for it :-[

Ok, just checking.

jonnydangerous
22-10-10, 12:26 PM
spring can break at any time, or become stuck etc, ive chased "coincidental" faults before and they make you tear your hair out sometimes!!!!.
take the clutch cover off and youll be able to see the prob if it is here, seems a shame to get rid of the bike before youve investigated a (possibly) easily remidied fault :-(

we can fix anything :-)

Jon_W
22-10-10, 12:55 PM
As JD says, these things happen. Often disturbing a component to get to another can cause a failure in the first component. No one is at fault there.

CBRowner
29-10-10, 11:55 AM
Thanks for all the advice [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I'm going to remove and replace the problem as soon as I can find the time and funds.

I'm still trying to persuade my Girlfriends Grandad to let me have one of his many bikes so that I can get back on 2 wheels again before I forget how to ride. Failing that, the tax man should have finished robbing me of my savings and I should have them back in my UK bank account by December/January just in time to buy a bike ready for the new season :)