PDA

View Full Version : tyres

Beamer
09-11-10, 04:41 PM
Hi All.....need a little bit of advice.....need a new back tyre for my 125 YBR...... found one on ebay at £30.....is this good??....... also I take it I would need to get it fitted too but where's the best place to go? I dont want some 'person' taking advantage 'cos I'm a girl and know very little about bikes and costs.......Any ideas?? please??
Cheers Tina ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
p.s. Mostof you know Im in Trowbridge so taking it to somewhere like wales isn't much good hehe [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

silly_simon
09-11-10, 06:40 PM
Seems reasonable Tina
Have a look on Here http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=1110&cart_id=65227348.1110.7365&m_s= 1&s_p=index

If need be Kevin could fit it with some decent size tyre levers as they are a smallish tyre and I doubt it would need balancing although don't quote me on that.

Failing that Carson tyre centre in Bowerhill are good as are Bikeaid in Riverway [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Robf
09-11-10, 09:02 PM
when i had my 125, i had a rear tyre put on for £50 from phil stokes in warminster, tyre fitting costs roughly £10, to a loose wheel, so your probably looking at £15-20 on to of the tyre price.

jaagsxr
09-11-10, 10:26 PM
Hi tb bring it too the pole barn and i will fit it for you ;-) and if it has an innertube you cant balance it any way:-)

Blackandchrome
10-11-10, 12:42 PM
Beamer! (Tina). :o
I would never buy a tyre/secondhand etc. off e-bay!
Its a personal thing and I have my pillion to consider too.
Its a safety thing for me. Tyres and Brakes....on two wheels...etc.
Unless you are totally happy about where this tyre is coming from, I would recommend that you reconsider.
Oh! My ride has them 'olde' fashioned wheels with spokes and innertubes.... both front and rear;balanced too! ;)
Buy from a reputable supplier and have the tyres proffesionally fitted. Its down to what value you place on your life/ride and what you are prepared to pay[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Robf
10-11-10, 01:59 PM
Buying tyres online is ok as long as there band new for example a company called black and round on ebay

Jon_W
10-11-10, 02:49 PM
Black and round are pretty well known. If you get the tyres, go to pheonix and get them fitted. They don't charge a fortune. I'd get it from a reptable supplier, you don't want the risk. You shouldn't need an inner tube in a YBR as they are cast wheels.

With regard inner tubes and balancing, my GS500 has had an inner tube and was balanced, so did my old Superdream.

Snowy
10-11-10, 03:18 PM
roundandblack on Ebay are the same as Universal Tyres. I buy most of my tyres from them and they ship next day. You can get cheaper but its generally old stock someones trying to get rid of. Tyres lose their grip over time, approx 5% per year if I remember correctly.

Kevinb
11-11-10, 09:00 AM
I always get mine from Pheonix. You may pay a bit more, but life is to short to worry about a few quid. Or it could be very short if it isn't fitted properly. I had a friend years a go who's rear wheel bolt came loose and it does affect the handling somewhat.

Beamer
11-11-10, 06:07 PM
Cheers everyone...... I shall check the ebay tyre as Im sure it's a brand new 1 (well it looked new lol)......pay day tomorrow so hopefully will be able to sort it out soon..... thank you everyone [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thorkill_The_Tall
11-11-10, 07:55 PM
There should be a four digit date of manufacture code on the sidewall.
For example, 1210 would equate to a manufacture date of the 12th week of 2010.

EDIT: This is from a car tyre site, but it still gives a good example:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Mark_Able
14-11-10, 07:58 PM
Black and round are pretty well known. If you get the tyres, go to pheonix and get them fitted. They don't charge a fortune. I'd get it from a reptable supplier, you don't want the risk. You shouldn't need an inner tube in a YBR as they are cast wheels.

With regard inner tubes and balancing, my GS500 has had an inner tube and was balanced, so did my old Superdream.

The GS500 doesn't need an inner tube, but if you get a puncture, it's the quickest and easiest repair... ;)
The YBR doesn't need balancing. Incidentally, I once bought a 'Cheng Shin Rubber Co' tyre for my old DT. As I was riding down the road, the knobbles started coming off and hitting me in the face... ::) ;D

Jon_W
15-11-10, 08:16 AM

The GS500 doesn't need an inner tube, but if you get a puncture, it's the quickest and easiest repair... ;)

I know that!! :D I use tubes to save me buying a new tyre whe I get a puncture and have lots of tread left!