PDA

View Full Version : Another Tyre question...

Jon_W
22-11-10, 07:58 AM
Yes, another tyre question.......

The GS has currently got BT45 tyres. These are nearly worn out and I'm looking for some hard wearing replacements. Any Ideas??

Robf
22-11-10, 01:11 PM
Bt45's are good, I used to get 10k on the front and 5k on the rear, but i've recently put some continential conti-go's on, but I don't know how many miles I'll get per set, yet

Red Zed 1
22-11-10, 06:06 PM
Bt45's are good, I used to get 10k on the front and 5k on the rear, but i've recently put some continential conti-go's on, but I don't know how many miles I'll get per set, yet
i had conti go's on my gpz500s,good grip but mileage tends to depend on how you ride the bike and how much tread you start with..mine had 5mm front and rear,,i'm now trying avons which have similar grip levels but come with 7mm tread..

Mark_Able
22-11-10, 08:15 PM
Honestly Jon, stick with what you've got. As you are probably aware, we don't like tyres that wear out quick, and we don't like tyres that don't give good all round grip (wet and dry), and we don't like spending a fortune. The BT45's have served us well on the GS's. Good mileage and grip in both wet and dry conditions. You'd be hard pushed to find better... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bonnielass
24-11-10, 05:33 PM
I have a tyre question, I have now done 8,000 miles on the Bonnie and have not changed my tyres, there appears to be plenty of tread on them but I keep worrying whether I should change them regardless. I have had a few slips on the wet roads lately but is that just because the roads are slippery or because the tyres are losing their grip?

silly_simon
24-11-10, 06:05 PM
Rosie, How old is the bike ? I take it you haven't changed tyres yet :o

IIRC Your bike is relatively new so I would hazard a guess it is just the road surface :(

Do the tyres "feel" hard ? or can you still make an impression in them with your finger nail as I use this method to check tyres longevity [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mark_Able
24-11-10, 08:26 PM
I have a tyre question, I have now done 8,000 miles on the Bonnie and have not changed my tyres, there appears to be plenty of tread on them but I keep worrying whether I should change them regardless. I have had a few slips on the wet roads lately but is that just because the roads are slippery or because the tyres are losing their grip?

I think the only way you could blame the tyres is if they've squared off a bit. It's unlikely with your enthusiastic riding Rosie, so it's probably just the crappy roads... [smiley=happy.gif]

Jon_W
25-11-10, 08:01 AM
As Mark says the tyres will be fine, The slipping is the crappy roads... had a little slide myself this morning.

Bonnielass
25-11-10, 07:02 PM
It's unlikely with your enthusiastic riding Rosie.

;D ;D ;D

SupeRDel
26-11-10, 07:03 PM
Beleive it or not the tyre manufacturers reccomend they are changed when they have 6mm of tread left if you want to keep handling at the optimum.

Seems ridiculous when you start with 9mm from new.

My XJR1300 was down to the convase before I changed it.. :-[ :-[ :o