PDA

View Full Version : Licence question

Jon_W
10-01-11, 11:54 AM
I've asked this before, but forgotten the answer.... so please be patient.

A friend, sick at paying the ever increasing cost of fuel, is looking to get a scooter. She passed her car test in 1988 and has never ridden in this country.

Questions:
Can she ride a scooter on her car licence?
Does she need a provisional bike licence?
How long does the licence last for?
Does she need to take a CBT? - I've advised her to take this any way.
What size machine can she ride?
Does she need L Plates.

Thanks for the help. :)

Davey
10-01-11, 12:08 PM
Can she ride a scooter on her car licence? Yes
Does she need a provisional bike licence?No as will show full moped licence
How long does the licence last for?until the expiry date on reverse
Does she need to take a CBT? - I've advised her to take this any way. Not on a 50cc
What size machine can she ride?50cc or less
Does she need L Plates. No

hope this helps

silly_simon
10-01-11, 05:47 PM
Does she need to take a CBT? - I've advised her to take this any way. Not on a 50cc
What size machine can she ride? anything over 50 upto 125 with cbtDoes she need L Plates. only on machines over 50cc
hope this helps

One thing to bear in mind though is To ride over 50 cc she would I'm sure need to apply for motorcycle entitlement to be added to her Licence Cat A

Mark_Able
10-01-11, 08:28 PM
What size machine can she ride? anything over 50 upto 125 with cbtDoes she need L Plates. only on machines over 50cc
hope this helps

One thing to bear in mind though is To ride over 50 cc she would I'm sure need to apply for motorcycle entitlement to be added to her Licence Cat A

You're sort of right there Simon. She won't need motorcycle entitlement added, as it'll already be on there. But she will need CBT and L-plates for anything bigger than 50cc. :)

Jon_W
11-01-11, 08:06 AM
hope this helps

You're sort of right there Simon. She won't need motorcycle entitlement added, as it'll already be on there. But she will need CBT and L-plates for anything bigger than 50cc. :)

Thanks for the help guys, but a few more questions.

There is no moped entitlement shown on her lisence. I guess she can get it added???

She wants to ride a 125 as she has a 20 mile each way commute on main roads, so she'll need:

A provisional lisence
A CBT
L plates

How long does the CBT last before you have to re take it?

Robf
11-01-11, 09:17 AM
hope this helps

There is no moped entitlement shown on her lisence. I guess she can get it added???

She wants to ride a 125 as she has a 20 mile each way commute on main roads, so she'll need:

A provisional lisence
A CBT
L plates

2 years from the date of taking it

Loops
11-01-11, 06:06 PM

The moped entitlement is one of the letters at the bottom of the list of entitlements - I think it's 'P'

This is assuming she has the two-part licence with plastic card as that's what I'm familiar with.

Mark_Able
11-01-11, 08:40 PM
Both the last answers are correct... ;)

silly_simon
11-01-11, 09:23 PM
hope this helps

A provisional lisence
A CBT
L plates

2 years from the date of taking it

Jon
If I'm correct in thinking
A) She has a UK full car driving Licence, Therefore she has Category P (moped= 50cc) so she should have the provisional entitlement aswell for 125's
B) To ride a 125 Yes she will need L-plates and a CBT which does indeed run for 2 years from date of issue :)

Jon_W
12-01-11, 07:50 AM
Cheers again guys. Sorry for the long list of questions.... but am trying to get this right first time.

To re-cap

The "p" entitlement on the lisence is the moped and entitles you to ride up to 50cc without L plates. It is also a provisional lisence for up to 125cc.

To ride a 125cc, you need to take a CBT which lasts for two years, and you can ride on L plates during this time.

One more question. Once the CBT has expired, is there a time limit before you can re-take?? Seem to think that you have to wait a year before re-taking??

Mark_Able
12-01-11, 08:42 PM
Right, a Full Car Licence (category B) issued before Feb 2001 will also provide Full Moped entitlement (category P). Therefore no CBT is required. Provisional Motorcycle (category A) entitlement is automatically provided with the issuing of a Car licence. To validate the Provisional Motorcycle entitlement, the individual must complete a CBT, which in turn is valid for two years. When the CBT runs out, they can immediately re-take it and continue ridng for a further two years. It makes no difference whether the CBT is taken on a geared or automatic bike, as they are entitled to ride either. If the Full Car licence was issued after Feb 2001, the CBT must be taken to validate both Full Category P and Provisional Category A entitlement. Clear as mud ain't it... :D :o ::) :-? :-/

Green Man
12-01-11, 09:48 PM
Can someone answer this one is it correct that you have to renew you photo licence every 10 years ?? [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Moo
12-01-11, 10:17 PM
Yes its true and not surprisingly they will even send you a fine if you dont!! If you look at your license the date 4b is the expiry date for the photo!!!

Green Man
12-01-11, 10:29 PM
Yes its true and not surprisingly they will even send you a fine if you dont!! If you look at your license the date 4b is the expiry date for the photo!!!

Thanks moo That clears that one up [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
13-01-11, 08:09 AM
Right, a Full Car Licence (category B) issued before Feb 2001 will also provide Full Moped entitlement (category P). Therefore no CBT is required. Provisional Motorcycle (category A) entitlement is automatically provided with the issuing of a Car licence. To validate the Provisional Motorcycle entitlement, the individual must complete a CBT, which in turn is valid for two years. When the CBT runs out, they can immediately re-take it and continue ridng for a further two years. It makes no difference whether the CBT is taken on a geared or automatic bike, as they are entitled to ride either. If the Full Car licence was issued after Feb 2001, the CBT must be taken to validate both Full Category P and Provisional Category A entitlement. Clear as mud ain't it... :D :o ::) :-? :-/

Cheers Mark. You'll be getting a call soon about a CBT.

As to the photo card, I've changed mine and was given a reminder to change it. Was easy, just went to the post office, got me piccie, payed anf they did the rest.