PDA

View Full Version : hid conversion to your bike??

jaagsxr
13-12-10, 11:37 PM
hi all has any one fitted after market hid lighting kits to their bikes ??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HID-Xenon-Motorcycle-BMW-650-800-1200-GS-Kawasaki-Honda-/330505463482?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4cf3a 926ba#ht_707wt_1139

Snowy
14-12-10, 07:47 AM
Yes, Jaa - I have 50 watt HiD on dip beam and 35 watt on the Aux lights. Mine have the slim ballasts not the larger "car" type versions.

jaagsxr
14-12-10, 04:46 PM
Oh great and your lights are bright :-) I might go for it or a 1200 head light !!

Flying Half-Dutchman
14-12-10, 11:03 PM
Yes, I bought a kit & temporarily fitted it to my 600. It cost about £70. It's very bright. The paperwork says the light only works when the engine is running, this is true but it cuts out at tickover (the voltage drops a bit) & I have to switch the light off n' on again to get it to switch back on, which is a pain & possibly dangerous (I've got twin headlights & the HID was only fitted to one). I'll try it again just in case I got something wrong. Oh and all HID conversions are illegal (not E marked) just in case you are bothered by that 8-)

Uber Dave
14-12-10, 11:22 PM
There are some changes to the VOSA MOT testing for 2011 and one of them is the banning and instant failing of any vehicle with a none factory fit HID kit. They by law have to be automatically levelling and have a washer attached too which is why they are not on bikes by standard at the moment.

Its easy for them to spot too as the bulbs are different and factory fit kits have the ballasts as part of the main electronics pack on the cars and not as a seperate ballast pack. Also as a result it will be another thing which the police will be checking for if they pull you other than tyres exhausts and plates......

Worth bearing in mind.

jaagsxr
14-12-10, 11:43 PM
cheers i knew you needed self leveling suspension but i was not aware about the mot ..... cheers

Snowy
15-12-10, 07:43 AM
There are some changes to the VOSA MOT testing for 2011 and one of them is the banning and instant failing of any vehicle with a none factory fit HID kit. They by law have to be automatically levelling and have a washer attached too which is why they are not on bikes by standard at the moment.

Its easy for them to spot too as the bulbs are different and factory fit kits have the ballasts as part of the main electronics pack on the cars and not as a seperate ballast pack. Also as a result it will be another thing which the police will be checking for if they pull you other than tyres exhausts and plates......

Worth bearing in mind.

Thanks for the heads up Dave, I didn't know about the upcoming changes. I guess it was only a matter of time before the hole got filled. Easy enough to take off in my case and put back to standard.

jaagsxr
15-12-10, 06:43 PM
can i buy it off you ?? :D

Snowy
15-12-10, 08:30 PM
can i buy it off you ?? :D

I have not decided yet, the GS forum is putting a different spin on it in that VOSA have not worked out how to do the MOT testing yet and they think it won't happen until Jan 2012 with an EU MOT in 2014.

So, they are currently illegal under "Construction and Use" which is the law the police enforce, but they currently cannot fail them under an MOT and that may not be introduced for a few years yet. I guess it's similar to loud exhausts and small numberplates.

Nooj
18-01-11, 07:42 PM
You should be OK with a bike, if fitted well all the wiring is hidden away, especially on faired bikes, and it's very difficult for a tester who doesn't know bikes well to spot what's OE and what isn't. That's one of the reasons the law's implementation is being delayed.

I have half a car kit on the dip beam of the Falco (cost me £20!) and the difference in road illumination is literally night and day :)

It's got though each MoT so far, I don't get flashed by oncoming traffic, Plod have no issue with it. I'd say get one, even if the wise lawmakers want to visually cripple us in a couple of years, it's worth it until then.

Snowy
18-01-11, 08:00 PM
You should be OK with a bike, if fitted well all the wiring is hidden away, especially on faired bikes, and it's very difficult for a tester who doesn't know bikes well to spot what's OE and what isn't. That's one of the reasons the law's implementation is being delayed.

I have half a car kit on the dip beam of the Falco (cost me £20!) and the difference in road illumination is literally night and day :)

It's got though each MoT so far, I don't get flashed by oncoming traffic, Plod have no issue with it. I'd say get one, even if the wise lawmakers want to visually cripple us in a couple of years, it's worth it until then.

Agreed, although hiding 4 ballasts and burners on a GSA is impossible. I have had no interest from plod either plus the only bike I get flashed with is the old K1100RS which has the standard halogen headlight (at the moment ;)). MOT is up in a few months time so will give it a go.

jaagsxr
18-01-11, 10:52 PM
Well I might fit one if I see a cheep one ??

pilninggas
19-01-11, 07:28 AM
i have one and - legal or not - have found there is much less tendency for other vehicles to pull-out on you etc.

If i ever get pulled by the police, i will be making this point!

Also i have not been flashed by vehicles coming the other way - the dipped 'cut-off' on the tdm is very good.