PDA

View Full Version : Looking after bike in cold weather

Jacde
23-12-10, 12:28 AM
Advice please, how often should I start my bike in this cold weather. I've got a temperature gauge so should I wait for it to reach a certain temp or let the engine run for a length of time.
I have got the battery on an optimizer.

Scotty
23-12-10, 08:09 AM
If it's new it should be ok, but if I haven't used mine for a while I'll open up all the garage doors fire it up and let it run until the fan comes on to burn off all the condensation that forms in the engine and exhaust (well, it's gone from the exhaust by the time it stops steaming like a kettle) - I did this the other day but switched it off when the temp gauge reached 70ÂșC and closed the doors 'cos it was too bloody cold in the garage - I then had an enclosed space with a nice warm engine to heat it. A 5-minute run like that puts plenty of beans back in the battery [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
An optimizer should look after your battery ok and the engine doesn't really need to be run, but it doesn't hurt them and we all like to hear them running and give the seat a pat... :)

Jon_W
23-12-10, 08:48 AM
Short answer, never. Unless you are going to ride it or work on it. Leaving an engine for a few months does no harm at all as long as the engine is well serviced.

Most of the wear on an engine orrurs in the first few minuites after starting. Effectively by repeatedly starting th engine you are putting it through this every time.

The manufacturer leaves the engines for months between building, shipping and selling with no worries. I've seen engines stood for 20+ years re-started without issue.

As to the battery, all I do is disconnect it from the bike and store it in a cupboard if I'm worried. Come the new year I'll charge it if needed (never had to yet) and be ready for the year ahead. The Sv stands at the back of the garage at the moment as it was left in october. I won't run for another few months yet. But it'll start no probs.

The only thing I do, probably more of a superstition and also o save a bit of space, is to put a piece of wood under the kick stand so th bike is a little more upright. This means that the oil is sat squarely in the bottom of the sump, and not starving one end of the crank. But a I say this probably my superstition.

HensonA
23-12-10, 05:42 PM
.......The only thing I do, probably more of a superstition and also to save a bit of space, is to put a piece of wood under the kick stand so the bike is a little more upright. This means that the oil is sat squarely in the bottom of the sump, and not starving one end of the crank.
I like this idea of having the bike a little more upright. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jacde
23-12-10, 09:21 PM
Bike is on the centre stand :)
My bike gets a cuddle not just a pat on the seat ;D
Thanks for the advice chaps [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nooj
19-01-11, 11:54 PM
Keep the tyres off the ground if you can, or at least rotate them periodically so you don't get a flat spot developing on them from sub zero temp concrete. Even putting a bit of carpet under them helps.

Give the suspension a little bounce and gently work the brakes occasionally as well to stop the seals drying out and perishing.

Don't worry about condensation, your coating of ACF50 will keep that out.