PDA

View Full Version : When is wintery weather TOO wintery?

Loops
27-11-10, 11:48 AM
A question for the all weather bikers out there....

So far I've managed to commute too and from work on the CG 5 days a week, every week, since March, but now the weather has turned (and we have snow!) I was wondering at what point you guys decide it's time to put the bike away? :-/

Luckily I live very close to the A4 so as long as I can get out of my road I'm on main roads all the way to work, and I've got good tyres with lots of tread, but when should I stop listening to the bit that loves being out on the bike (even in the freezing cold with 6 layers on!) and listen to the sensible mum voice telling me it's time to put two wheels away?

BB
27-11-10, 12:42 PM
If you are anything like Ghost it will be when you can't get the bike to the A4 or the wind chill is getting really bad!

BB

Squashed_Fly
27-11-10, 12:56 PM
Today! Lol

Out in the car, and didnt stop when appliedbrakes earlier. Def too cold today

ro
27-11-10, 02:18 PM
So far I've managed to commute too and from work on the CG 5 days a week, every week, since March, but now the weather has turned (and we have snow!) I was wondering at what point you guys decide it's time to put the bike away? :-/

Luckily I live very close to the A4 so as long as I can get out of my road I'm on main roads all the way to work, and I've got good tyres with lots of tread, but when should I stop listening to the bit that loves being out on the bike (even in the freezing cold with 6 layers on!) and listen to the sensible mum voice telling me it's time to put two wheels away?I'm in a similar position. I keep riding all winter and thoroughly enjoy it. I only stopped briefly last year after slipping over on unseen ice (fortunately not coming to any harm myself and only causing cosmetic (but expensive) damage to the bike) - but that persuaded me to stay off wheels for about 3 weeks during the long snowy spell in Jan/Feb. Knowing that I was riding carefully on a sunny, dry day when my slip happened does now make me worry that there's little I can do to reduce the risk in those conditions, so I'm more likely to leave the bike in the garage when it's sub-zero.

Ducatista
27-11-10, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't go out in snow/ice, even in the car.

We have had a few accidents in the snow in the car, mostly someone else's fault and it causes a lot of hassle and expense.

Last year when it snowed we got the train or worked from home.
It just isn't worth the expense and hassle for a few days a year.

One day we did venture out and at the top of the hill we were driving on ice and it took 2 hours to get to work.
It simple isn't worth it.

Any claim you make these days (even if it's totally non-fault and your car was parked) counts against you on your insurance and even more so if you have multiple claims, so it just isn't worth it.

It can be difficult to tell when there's ice about but below zero is a pretty good indicator/

Cemorah
28-11-10, 10:02 AM
You may feel you have mastered the conditions and you are invincible up to the time you hit "black Ice". Then you will realise how vulnerable you are. So stay off the roads if it rained or snowed yesterday and the outside temperature is below 4C.

You may be able to control you bike in snow but we have so little in this country that most drivers are unpracticed. You may do little damage to an ufaired bike in a spill but if a following car hits the same ice you are the one who will get hurt.

I ride in all weathers for fun but will not ride in snow and ice or Thunder storms.

Take care

Squashed_Fly
28-11-10, 12:15 PM
Why not thunder storms out of interest?

Toph
28-11-10, 04:34 PM
I use my bike to commute to work, so I ride it all year round, in all weathers, it does get a little tricky in snow and sub-zero temperatures.
+ my commute is less than 3 miles so that helps!!

Mitch9128
28-11-10, 05:17 PM
I don't mind all weathers, not ice or snow, so i'm off the bike at the mo. The only bikes i've seen out the last couple of days have been, 125cc learners and ped boi's with no gloves...the enthusiasm of youth eh!?

Jon_W
28-11-10, 11:17 PM
I stop when there is a large amount of ice around. Am still out and about at the moment as the mail roads are still clear. Not far off stopping though...

Jon_W
28-11-10, 11:18 PM
OOps. Muppet + PC... :D

Cemorah
29-11-10, 10:23 AM
Squashed Fly

Thunderstorms or more to the point Lightning- In a car you are in a Faraday Cage so a lightning strike would go around you following the metal cage of the car to earth.

On a bike soaking wet you are electrically part of earth with a pointy bit, your head at the top nah not for me never have never will

Loops
29-11-10, 07:27 PM
Well I went for it today - the main roads are clear and still gritted and we've not had any more snow or rain, so I thought I'd have a go. I made it safely into work a little later than usual but otherwise without problems so I've now added it to my list of riding experiences - along with the rain, wind, gravel, sand, loose pebbles, sleet, dust roads, roads hacked out of the mountain side and made of more rocks than flat bits...oh, and the odd perfect sunny day on flat tarmac!

Just took it slow and steady, although looking at the weather forecast I may not be doing it for much longer with more snow predicted.

Unhelpfully my dad just tells me about how he used to be out on his scooter in 3" of snow when he was younger :-?

BB
29-11-10, 08:03 PM
Unhelpfully my dad just tells me about how he used to be out on his scooter in 3" of snow when he was younger :-?

Probably a lot less cars and far less commuters charging about in his day! ;)

(That's a joke Dad, I'm probably older than you! ;D)

BB

Mark_Able
29-11-10, 08:50 PM
Obviously I ride ALL year round. I've ridden in snow, ice, hail, fog, floods, and heat that melted the road. You name it, I've ridden in it. My advice, take the car. It's bloody horrible out there at the moment... ;)

freddieb
29-11-10, 09:53 PM
Obviously I ride ALL year round. I've ridden in snow, ice, hail, fog, floods, and heat that melted the road. You name it, I've ridden in it. My advice, take the car. It's bloody horrible out there at the moment... ;)

You're just OLD!! ;D ;D

Mark_Able
01-12-10, 01:39 PM

You're just OLD!! ;D ;D

I know mate. But then again, I'm not the one with the BIG fairing and heated grips... :P :P :P :-*

freddieb
01-12-10, 09:54 PM

You're just OLD!! ;D ;D

I know mate. But then again, I'm not the one with the BIG fairing and heated grips... :P :P :P :-*
Well, get a proper bike then!! ;D :D

igbell
02-12-10, 03:11 PM
Nothing wrong with a fairing and heated grips.... mind you with my winter gloves I cant even feel the grips they are so big...

Jon_W
02-12-10, 03:23 PM
Have resorted to heated grips and a screen on the GS... slows the rate of freezing a little bit....

BB
02-12-10, 06:29 PM
Must be cold out there - Ghost has stolen the car for his daily commute! ;)

BB

JAYJAY
02-12-10, 08:32 PM
Well I've used the bike every day this week - no probs. Just be much more gentle - leave loads more space etc.

I have had a few car twats driving too close but a signal for them to keep their distance usually works.

The roads have been pretty clear - just difficult getting in and out of my own road.

Even had 2 bikes at the Old Nick bike night on Tuesday!!

Loops
02-12-10, 08:46 PM
I've successfully managed so far this week - my overriding thought is that it's SO COLD!! But slow and steady with biiiiiiiiiig gaps is working for now, with feet down at either end to get out of my road and into the office where the roads are less clear :)

I've noticed the car drivers following too close too! What's the best way to signal them to stay back, I'm never sure how to do it without pissing any of them off...?

JAYJAY
02-12-10, 08:53 PM
From my riding position on a sports bike I find it easy just to swing an open hand/arm back a couple of times usually works. Turning round and glaring at them when stopped at traffic lights usually has the desired effect too

Loops
02-12-10, 09:12 PM
Ahh, I can manage both of those too - I've given a few drivers the glare already!

Scotty
02-12-10, 11:25 PM
Ahh, I can manage both of those too - I've given a few drivers the glare already!
Oh, the powerful effects of the Withering Stare.....It certainly works [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
You could always dismount at the lights and tell the car driver that if they'd like to get any closer they may as well get on the ****ing pillion seat... >:(

virginie_morisot
03-12-10, 08:17 AM
Oh, the powerful effects of the Withering Stare.....It certainly works [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
You could always dismount at the lights and tell the car driver that if they'd like to get any closer they may as well get on the ****ing pillion seat... >:(
;D ;D ;D love it!

Jacde
03-12-10, 01:21 PM

I've seen Scotty have words with a car driver [smiley=engel017.gif] :)

Jon_W
03-12-10, 01:34 PM

Ah the joys of an open face helmet.... you ca do that without stopping!!! Works every time!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Loops
03-12-10, 01:38 PM

;D ;D ;D I'm remembering that one!

ro
23-12-10, 04:52 AM
Though the main roads are clear, there has been enough ice around since Saturday to make getting out of my road tricky. It shows no sign of disappearing soon - if anything, it's been getting worse as any snow that thaws just re-freezes as slick ice. It seems defeatist that all the advice here is just to give up riding in such conditions when people in other places cope with much worse - I can't help feeling that this is a pretty simple traction problem in need of a technical fix. Since it's evidently possible to pull wheelies on solid ice with the right kit, there must be a way for me to safely get to the end of my road! http://www.pashnitforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=138&stc=1
OK, so spiked tyres are probably not the right thing for our relatively moderate and more variable conditions, but perhaps "snow claws" are just the thing:
http://www.mv-motorrad.de/cosmoshop/pix/a/n/1104836894-14354.jpghttp://www.mv-motorrad.de/cosmoshop/pix/a/z/10107/b0.jpghttp://www.mv-motorrad.de/cosmoshop/pix/a/z/10107/b2.jpg (http://www.mv-motorrad.de/cosmoshop/lshop,showdetail,13240,e,1105803788-30287,,10107,,,.htm)

Scotty
23-12-10, 08:00 AM
Germans eh? Think of everything... ::)
Robin, are you an insomniac or on night shift? :-?

Jon_W
23-12-10, 08:51 AM
I think I mak get some of those.... means I could get off of the estate better......

virginie_morisot
23-12-10, 11:31 AM
snow claws.. i like it !

ro
23-12-10, 12:34 PM
The shipping charges from Germany are quite high in proportion to the cost of the item, so if anyone else is interested, it might be worth doing a group buy. Still, I'd really like to hear from someone who has tried them first.

Robin, are you an insomniac I do try to sleep less (http://ro.nu/polyphase/).

Morticia
23-12-10, 01:04 PM
I don't put the bikes away at all, but after coming off it on my first snow attempt, I will not ride on it anymore. If I can't walk on it, I won't ride on it. So the poor babies have been on the garage for two weeks now :'(

Morticia
23-12-10, 01:06 PM
Ro, would the claws work on ice? Cos if they do, where do I get some?

ro
23-12-10, 01:26 PM
Ro, would the claws work on ice? Cos if they do, where do I get some?MV Motorad (http://www.mv-motorrad.de/cosmoshop/lshop,showdetail,13240,e,1105803788-30287,,10107,,,.htm) sells them and claims they work on snow or ice. Their primary market is Germany, a country notorious for having regulations for everything (including a legal requirement to have snow & ice capable tyres or chains on cars through the winter), so it seems likely they work as advertised.

Loops
23-12-10, 02:44 PM
Now those look like a good idea! I'd certainly be interested in a set if we could get a good deal on them...

HensonA
23-12-10, 05:35 PM
They look realy good ... if we were guarantted this type of weather for consistently long periods each winter then they could be a worthwhile investment....but for the 5 claw set (as in Ro's photos) the cost is c. 110 Euros + delivery on the linked MV Motorad website

Flying Half-Dutchman
04-01-11, 09:02 PM
I used to ride in all weather's when I only had a bike, but's it's no fum. These days if there is any ice or snow, I just take the care. It's just not worth trashing the bike.

Jon_W
05-01-11, 08:05 AM
Is positively tropical at the moment... have even reduced the number of layers of clothing from seven to five....

Let's hope it stays this way....

Nooj
19-01-11, 11:47 PM
Snow claws would be all right on long stretches of snow, but here in winter it's mostly wet roads with a few patches of snow and ice, I'd bet a few miles of normal British winter road use and they'd be wrecked, maybe your tyres as well. I don't think they'd do my Missus's tyres any favours riding up and down the M4 every day. Interesting concept though.

ro
20-01-11, 08:23 AM
On the couple of occasions we've had long-lasting snow and ice, the problem has only been the side roads at the start and end of the journey. The main roads are clear within a day, but I've still not been able to get the bike out because of the 200m of ungritted road between me and them. Assuming they are reasonably easy to put on and take off, I'm thinking that snow-claws might be a way to get over that.

Scotty
20-01-11, 01:42 PM
Ro, the answer is a dirt bike with knobblies! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Snow is no problem and can actually be fun 8-)

Jon_W
21-01-11, 09:11 AM
However, they don't cut it on Ice....

ro
21-01-11, 04:40 PM
Ro, the answer is a dirt bike with knobblies! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Snow is no problem and can actually be fun 8-)At the beginning of the cold spell, I did ride a short distance on fresh snow and it was OK—although I was being careful. The problem is not knowing what's underneath: if snow has been packed down, or had any chance to melt and re-freeze as ice, it's too much of a gamble.

A dirt bike is a good plan for many reasons—particularly if you can get off-road without having too much on-road riding first—but do you agree with Jon W that it still can't cope with ice on tarmac? Do you think snow claws or tyre chains would cope any better?

Loops
21-01-11, 06:39 PM
On the couple of occasions we've had long-lasting snow and ice, the problem has only been the side roads at the start and end of the journey. The main roads are clear within a day, but I've still not been able to get the bike out because of the 200m of ungritted road between me and them. Assuming they are reasonably easy to put on and take off, I'm thinking that snow-claws might be a way to get over that.

That was my problem one day - so much snow had got thrown up across my driveway and over my road that I just couldn't get the bike out...

Had to just go for it and treat it like sand the following day once the road had be cleared by some traffic - made it out with a bit of squirming from the back ;D