PDA

View Full Version : Riding with a Pillion

Geordie Stu
30-12-10, 05:53 PM
Having not ever taking a Pillion before. Help & advise welcome Pls

Dabz
30-12-10, 05:56 PM
Make sure you talk them through what to expect when pulling away and stopping (had a few pillions come flying forward when I brake, crushing me against the tank!)

I always tell them to tap me on the leg if they want to stop, and reassure them that they won't come off the back!

Oh and be prepared for newbies to lean the opposite way on corners..it upsets the balance of the bike a lot and is a bit of a fight, but they get used to it soon!

Geordie Stu
30-12-10, 06:00 PM
She has pillioned before so I think it may be just get out & try few short rides get used to it. more for me than anything else. Classic of never say never ::)

Dabz
30-12-10, 06:01 PM
Thats cool - just the standard then..braking distance will be much longer and you'll need to learn not to snap open the throttle and quick change the gears otherwise you'll get a slap :P

ro
30-12-10, 07:16 PM
Good advice for a pillion who doesn't ride is to look over your shoulder in the direction you're turning - that way they naturally add a bit of lean in the correct direction. I found the bike handled miraculously well with a pillion who could also ride - going round corners seemed effortless ...until we disagreed about which way we should be going!

Stopping distance is longer, but in partial compensation, the rear brake works better.

Mark_Able
30-12-10, 09:20 PM
Try and make your riding as smooth as possible. For example, when accelerating, ease off a little before going for the gear change. When braking, start gentle, then progressively apply more. Ease them into corners, rather than just chucking it on it's side. Try not to go too fast. It feels like warp speed when you're on the back... :)

Geordie Stu
30-12-10, 09:29 PM
All good advise. Just need to get out & practice. Thanks all

Snowy
30-12-10, 09:38 PM
Make sure your insurance allows pillions as well as the other top advice above.

Robf
31-12-10, 12:19 AM
another thing is if you take a pillion thats not used to going on a bike they may be more nervous then you, i have had this where the pillion doesn't lean into corners with you, best bet is to get them to hold onto you and to lean with the bike(may sound obvious but some people will try to remain sat upright).

o and take it easier with a pillion as it can feel completely different to normal.

Jacde
31-12-10, 12:44 AM
Make sure you decide on clear but simple actions so you both understand what each other is doing on the bike.
I knew if my left leg was tapped it meant hold on tight as I'm going to accelerate.
I was told to tap helmet if I needed stop for any reason.
And under breaking especially heavy that putting my hands on the tank kept my weight off the rider.
All made for an enjoyable time on the back of a bike.
The worst ride was with a complete eejit who I think was riding to try and impress, I can tell you it didn't!!!
>:(

Squashed_Fly
31-12-10, 08:14 AM
When braking, use the rear as much as possible. When you brake with the front, the nose dives down which is ok when you know its coming and you have the bars to push back on, but the pillion will have a bumpy ride! Rear braking keeps the bike smoother and less turbulent for your passenger. Plus the extra weight over the rear wheel will aid traction.

Kevinb
31-12-10, 08:55 AM
t also depends o their weight. My wife is slim and I have to check she is still on the back at times as she is a natural pillion. As I'm the size of a small shed ;D it hasn't really mattered in the past if a pillion has leaned in the wrong direction and I haven't noticed that much difference with the breaking on the MT-01. Take them out for a tootle around before going for a blast and you wil soon learn their levels.

RedSoul
31-12-10, 02:02 PM
Only thing i have noticed with a pillion on my bike is planning overtakes a little more...forget most of the time she is on the back.
I ride a little slower to keep her happy but apart from that my riding style stays the same.

silly_simon
01-01-11, 01:02 AM
Mate I have a set of "Love handles" pillion grip belt that I use with the mrs, She seems much more confident than without it :)

nobby
01-01-11, 11:10 AM
my advice to you is take her out for a couple of short rides so you get comfortable and confident, then relax and enjoy it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mark_Able
01-01-11, 08:09 PM
When I was working in Swindon, one of the instructors offered a girl a lift home one evening. She got on the back and immediately stuffed her hands into his groin. Apparently that's where her boyfriend had told her to hold on... ;D

Geordie Stu
01-01-11, 10:00 PM
When I was working in Swindon, one of the instructors offered a girl a lift home one evening. She got on the back and immediately stuffed her hands into his groin. Apparently that's where her boyfriend had told her to hold on... ;D
That will certainly help concentrate the mind ;D

Nico_babe
01-01-11, 10:24 PM
I def recommend the "love handles". They work really well.

Squashed_Fly
02-01-11, 08:42 AM
I have 'love handles'. I never thought to let my [illion grab them tho!!! ;D 8-) :P

Lorraine
02-01-11, 04:36 PM
I def recommend the "love handles". They work really well.
ditto but have braved riding without them on short journeys [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Scotty
02-01-11, 08:10 PM
If it's her "first time" as well ;) what might help is giving her a glass of wine before you go out, it'll help her relax a bit.
Otherwise, just keep it smooth, a bit like riding in the wet, easy on the throttle and the brakes, give yourself a little more time everywhere.... then when there's a small crest in the road, progressive use of the throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear will loft a nice controllable wheelie - pillions are really useful for this actually [smiley=thumbsup.gif] 8-) this suggestion is purely optional, the rest is pretty mandatory for a virgin pillion...

If you do a good enough job of it, she'll get off the back all happy and excited and jabbering about how she never knew it could be so much fun and when can she have another go and maybe she'll get one of her own 8-). If you make a real hash of it, however, she's likely to get off, wait until you've removed your helmet, and punch you really hard, and stomp off, never to be seen again.... :'(

The choice is yours....

Suggestion from Star, who's looking over my shoulder as I write - for your first trip with a passenger, why not take out someone who's an experienced pillion? That way they can give you some proper feedback (and maybe punch you as well if you really f*ck it up!) ;)

Jacde
02-01-11, 10:25 PM
I have used 'love handles' didn't like them. if you do want a pillion who's done it before I'll volunteer, but think your post said the person had already pillioned before. :)

Angel
03-01-11, 10:36 AM
Defo recommend the Love handles or Hip grips, this gives your pillion a seens of safety :)
Best also to give your pillion a few ground rules to start with lol
1 try and relax
2 Move with the Rider and not the bike
3 Enjoy the experainace of being n the back of the bike :)

As some of us know anyway the pillion will love the bike so much that they themselves will end up becoming a biker ;)

Beamer
03-01-11, 10:42 AM
Defo recommend the Love handles or Hip grips, this gives your pillion a seens of safety :)
Best also to give your pillion a few ground rules to start with lol
1 try and relax
2 Move with the Rider and not the bike
3 Enjoy the experainace of being n the back of the bike :)

As some of us know anyway the pillion will love the bike so much that they themselves will end up becoming a biker ;)

That'd be me then hehehe ;D ;D

Roxy
03-01-11, 04:05 PM
If it's her "first time" as well ;) what might help is giving her a glass of wine before you go out, it'll help her relax a bit.
Otherwise, just keep it smooth, a bit like riding in the wet, easy on the throttle and the brakes, give yourself a little more time everywhere.... then when there's a small crest in the road, progressive use of the throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear will loft a nice controllable wheelie - pillions are really useful for this actually [smiley=thumbsup.gif] 8-) this suggestion is purely optional, the rest is pretty mandatory for a virgin pillion...

If you do a good enough job of it, she'll get off the back all happy and excited and jabbering about how she never knew it could be so much fun and when can she have another go and maybe she'll get one of her own 8-). If you make a real hash of it, however, she's likely to get off, wait until you've removed your helmet, and punch you really hard, and stomp off, never to be seen again.... :'(

The choice is yours....

Suggestion from Star, who's looking over my shoulder as I write - for your first trip with a passenger, why not take out someone who's an experienced pillion? That way they can give you some proper feedback (and maybe punch you as well if you really f*ck it up!) ;)

[smiley=thumbup.gif] Scotty this made me laugh lots!! I can imagine you scaring the crap out of a pillion!! [smiley=laugh.gif]

Roxy

Honda_Star
03-01-11, 04:18 PM
Trust me - being pillion on a bike with a pillion seat the size of a postage stamp with no grab rails while it wheelies is not an experience I would recommend for the faint hearted :o

Roxy
03-01-11, 05:06 PM
H - you are one brave chick!!! ;D ;D

Jon_W
03-01-11, 05:06 PM
The tips I was given and use are as follows.

Remember the extra weight. The bike will be heavy and not accelerate, corner, and more importantly, brake as well. Allow more time, and allow greater stopping distancees. The bike will also be top heavy, this will affect the conering and will make the bike heavy when you stop. Remember to stop on an even surface, as your legs will have to support the extra weight.

Check your tyre pressures and chain adjustment, These will be under greater strain

Ride smoothly, the last thing you want is the pillion shuffling back into position or banging hats.

Get the pillon to follow you. When you lean, the pilion needs to lean, or the bike will stand up in corners. Get the pilion to hold round your waist for the firstfew runs.

And finally, enjoy. My girlfriend rides pillion, and we both enjoy it on a sumers day. Is a great way to see things together.

Nokesy
03-01-11, 05:08 PM
Trust me - being pillion on a bike with a pillion seat the size of a postage stamp with no grab rails while it wheelies is not an experience I would recommend for the faint hearted :o

I always used to fall asleep as pillion, though I think even I might stay awake if a wheelie was imminent! ;D

My advice for pillioning - I was always told to sit like a sack of potatoes and that seemed to work well enough :)

Jon_W
03-01-11, 05:24 PM
I never got the chance to fall asleep as a pillion. Most of my time on the back was spent on a 1930's ridgid frame Velocette.... very nice wide seat, but no suspension means you keep an eye out for the pot holes and brace when you see one.

Never fell asleepand am now too warey as a pillion.... still look out for pot holes......

clare_alphafemale
04-01-11, 09:40 AM
As a pillion I love it. I started with the love handles to get the feel of the bike. now i dont even need to hold on. It also depends on the style of the bike. Yes I have nearly fallen asleep on the back of the bike, listening to good music and the vibration of the bike is very relaxing :) :) :)

Squashed_Fly
04-01-11, 10:36 AM
the vibration of the bike is very relaxing :) :) :)

[smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=wink.gif]

Like your way of thinking! lol

Nelly
17-01-11, 12:42 PM
Agree with all of this. Most of you know that i travel with my (ahem) advisor a lot of the time. She is an absolute star pillion TBH. She has got used to my (ahem) style of riding and now very rarely do i have to use our signals to let her know what i am about to do. She can now sense my next move. Which of couse makes my life very easy.

But good advice for sure. Dont whack open the throttle. She will kill you when you next stop for a cuppa.
Easy on the brakes. Causes headaches if you leave it late and have to go heavy handed on them.

One other thing. You will find that when you carry a (ahem) advisor, the extra weight gets the back tyre really grippy! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nelly
17-01-11, 12:47 PM

LOL that made me roar out loud in the office Helena.
Stu. As Mrs H is an experienced Z Pillion, i'm sure she'll have a go with you (not sure that i should have worded it like that) to break you in (that sounds even worse!)
;)

Squashed_Fly
17-01-11, 12:57 PM
Most of you know that i travel with my (ahem) advisor a lot of the time.

Ditto

very rarely do i have to use our signals to let her know what i am about to do. She can now sense my next move. Which of couse makes my life very easy.

I got asked to give Jen a signal in future when I intend to go from 30 to 90 in a few hundred metres, as apparently it nearly woke her up on Saturday! lol

I said "Of course - the signal will be, when we are in a 30 zone, and you see a white circle with a black diagonal stripe inside it up ahead, then it's time to start holding on again!!!" ;D

She was not amused! But then she said actually secretly she was laughing inside her helmet. She like accelerating more than I do!

silly_simon
17-01-11, 05:38 PM
I also find that an intercom helps rather than misunderstood signals :D :D

Mark_Able
17-01-11, 08:51 PM

But then you've got to listen to her. It's bad enough in the car... >:( ;D

Nelly
17-01-11, 09:38 PM

Precisley why i dont have an intercom [smiley=laugh.gif]
[smiley=laugh.gif]

Carbonkid
17-01-11, 11:57 PM
My Mrs shakes my love handles to go faster and squeezes her thighs to slow me down... :D

That's when she's not nodding off that is... ::)

Jon_W
18-01-11, 08:14 AM
My Mrs shakes my love handles to go faster and squeezes her thighs to slow me down... :D

Sounds like riding a horse, not a motorbike...... :-? ;D

I'll tap Em on the knee if I'm going to brake hard, swerve or accelerate hard, just as a warning.

Nooj
18-01-11, 12:20 PM
Everything happens slower with a pillion, except falling over when stationary.

Squashed_Fly
18-01-11, 02:14 PM

That's when she's not nodding off that is... ::)

I'm going to the gym to lose my love handles so hopefully that won't be an option!

Nico_babe
18-01-11, 06:12 PM
My 11 year old users love handles when he pillions and occasionally he falls asleep so we have worked out a tapping system where i can find out if he is ok, and he will be able to let me know if he cant keep his eyes open and we need to pull into a layby for him to jump off and stretch his legs ;)

ChrisJo
19-01-11, 03:18 PM
Lower back end, higher front end - ADJUST YOUR HEADLIGHT... :D

NiteW4tcher
19-01-11, 08:26 PM
i bought some love handles but the mrs just couldnt get on with them.

im hunting down a grab rail for the gix this year.

Jon_W
21-01-11, 09:16 AM

Far to true!! ;D

silly_simon
22-01-11, 10:45 AM

Far to true!! ;D

I must be the only one who enjoys talking to their wife then :-/ :-/

Seriously I find it helps a great deal having a natter about all sorts of things, besides isn't that what intercoms and bike to bike comms were made for ;)

Beamer
22-01-11, 11:20 AM

Far to true!! ;D

I must be the only one who enjoys talking to their wife then :-/ :-/

Seriously I find it helps a great deal having a natter about all sorts of things, besides isn't that what intercoms and bike to bike comms were made for ;)

To be honest....as i still do go pillion ....I loved the fact of not having an intercom......it meant i didnt need to listen about the twit in front or the moans and groans about fellow road users hehe....just listening to my MP3 made a ride so pleasant and enjoyable hehe......and yes it meant he didnt need to listen to me groaning on about all the stuff us women have to do day in day out hehehe......every ride was a great ride hehe ;D ;D ;D ;D

jonnydangerous
01-02-11, 11:09 AM
do what i do, if someone asks for a lift somewhere, to make the bike handle the same, accelerate the same, and brake the same, i..................................

give them some bus fare..... ;-)

sorted :-)