PDA

View Full Version : My kickstart has parted company from my bike!

Loops
26-01-11, 06:16 PM
Help! :o

Kickstart lever sheared off this evening when I went to start the bike. No way of refitting it so I need a new one. Can anyone advise:

1. Are there any other bikes with a kickstart lever that will fit an '86 Honda CG125?

2. Does anyone know of a Honda CG125 being broken, or a place which can get a lever at short notice?

Luckily (?) I work at the top of a big hill, so I was able to roll the bike down and bump start it to get home, and I live at the top of another hill that I can use to bump start the bike tomorrow, but I don't want to be having to plan journeys based on the proximity of decent hills to my start and end points for too long ;D

Green Man
26-01-11, 06:30 PM
Loops have you tried to put a flat head screwdriver in the opening at the bottom of the kick-start to open it up a bit and slide it back in the the splines on kick-start shaft and refit the 10mm bolt
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Scotty
26-01-11, 06:33 PM
This thread needs photos! (some forums have a smilie for this)

Has the shaft coming out of the engine sheared, the kickstart lever itself broken, or the lever come off the spline on the shaft?

Iceman
26-01-11, 08:09 PM
This any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kickstart-Lever-Honda-CG125-78-83-BRAND-NEW-/350313540641?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item51905 06c21

Mark_Able
26-01-11, 08:30 PM
Most likely the kickstart has snapped at the base, as they're only cheap cast. Try GMStevens on Canal Road, Trowbridge. You don't need a hill to bump start a CG. Rolling it off the centre stand in gear normally does the trick... ;D

Toph
26-01-11, 09:41 PM
If the lever has broken at the base, it can be welded as it is almost certainly drop forged .
If it's the lever, I can repair it for you , if it's the splined shaft coming out the crankcase, you'll have to strip the side of the engine and get a new gear shaft.

Loops
26-01-11, 11:13 PM
Right, looking at the kickstart, I think it should be as AbleT suggested - this is the closest I could find on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-cg125-cb125-kickstart-/160536177991?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2560b 3ad47

Mine appears to have sheared right at the base of the lever where it joins the block at the bottom (the pivot to pull the lever out having sheered, with the pivot used to crank the engine still being attached - do you follow?)
It was dark when I went so I'm not sure exactly what is still attached to the bike! ;D

Plenty on ebay but I need one rather quick as I use the bike for work, hence wondering if there are any other bikes that have the same, or a decent shop that will have on in stock - I'll try GM Stevens tomorrow!

p.s. Iceman, thanks for the link, but it's not the right one - mine is younger.

NiteW4tcher
26-01-11, 11:36 PM
yeah u can bump a lil 125 with very little effort, i once snapped the actually splinedshaft on a dt125r lol

Toph
26-01-11, 11:50 PM
If you buy a new one.... keep the old one...I'll weld it for you.... perfect for a spare!!

Jon_W
27-01-11, 08:11 AM
I'd get Torph to weld up your old one. Will be stronger than new and cheaper.

As everyone has said you can bump a 125 fairly easily. You dont need to run very fast (walking pace will do) drop in in second and off you go.

Prehaps bump starting is one for a future Able Training Event???

Loops
27-01-11, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys - I just got a quote from Fowlers for a new Honda one, £70 :o But I'm in a bit of a situation as I'm currently relying on my mum to drive me around as my bike is disabled in Bath and my car is at home!

I obviously havn't got the knack of bump starting as I just couldn't do it this morning evenb down a hill, it just wouldn't start, only slow down :(

Toph, can you weld up my old one even though the arm has completely come away from the base (and sheared through the shaft attached to the bottom of it)? It would be really great and I will pay you money!

Otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet and buy one from Fowlers.

Toph
27-01-11, 07:08 PM
If you can get it to me Nic, I'll repair it for you , Wiltshire Bikers rates apply ! (extremely cheap!!) :)

Mark_Able
27-01-11, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys - I just got a quote from Fowlers for a new Honda one, £70 :o But I'm in a bit of a situation as I'm currently relying on my mum to drive me around as my bike is disabled in Bath and my car is at home!

I obviously havn't got the knack of bump starting as I just couldn't do it this morning evenb down a hill, it just wouldn't start, only slow down :(

Toph, can you weld up my old one even though the arm has completely come away from the base (and sheared through the shaft attached to the bottom of it)? It would be really great and I will pay you money!

Otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet and buy one from Fowlers.

Bump starting:- Run along, jump in the air, as you land on the saddle dump the clutch lever. First or second will do it. Don't use the throttle til it fires. :)

Loops
30-01-11, 01:00 PM
The lever and the fixing have been reconciled and are now working together again 8-)

Toph took a look at some photos and confidently said it was fixable, so on friday my dad took it up to his old work and a friend welded it back together for me.

He's got to take the foot pegs up tomorrow though, we noticed just before I left with the bike that the kickstart was hitting the rubber, so he went to bend it down a bit and the metal started cracking - so that'll be a bit more welding ::)

Loops
05-02-11, 01:52 PM
It's gone again :( Giving in and getting new one.

Will sing/beg for smellyburgers as I'm going to be poor for the rest of the month ;D

BB
05-02-11, 04:52 PM
Sorry to hear that, I'm sure WB can support the starving if need be ;D

BB

Toph
05-02-11, 09:30 PM
I've welded a few over the years Nic, they usually repair OK :o