PDA

View Full Version : power loos, not all cylinders are working GSX600F

Gamer
25-01-11, 10:30 PM
Hi all,

I have a fairly difficult problem. So it will take a while to explain ;)

My bike when cold starting not always went so nice into revs (choke on). I have to wait several seconds and than all 4 cylinders kiks in and rev are high and I am happy.

Recently it happend that on the way I suddenly felt no power. When I have squeezed throttle hard (max) after few seconds engine was fine and I felt some power back, but as soon as I put throttle back - no power. If I engage clutch - engine stops very quickly.

When stopped I tried to run it again - only way to do it was with fully open choke!!!
It happened already few times.
Also I have noticed a bit of smell (like hot, burning smell)
Did I overheat the engine or it is dying?

Fairly recent plugs and oil, all levels are ok.
Thanks for help.

pilninggas
25-01-11, 11:17 PM
Gamer, sounds quite like it could be coils (or plugs if the bike runs rich). I assume the gsx600f (the teapot!!) is wasted -spark? Might be worth running a multimeter over the coils and checking the impedances. Also a visual check of leads for damage and in the dark for arcing and corona.

Im in Bristol also so if you want me to pop over, no problem.

merv

btw i have a new coil somewhere, so substitution could be tried.

Gamer
25-01-11, 11:57 PM
So taking all fairing apart again - tank goes up and I will test it in dark too next week.
can I change coils (left to right and right to left) and see if this will sound different?? - or better no?

Jon_W
26-01-11, 08:36 AM
Sounds like a sticking float on one of the carbs.

Does it smell of fuel??

Check the plugs. Are they all the same colour? They should be a dark brown.

Try a light tap of the float chambers, see if that helps.

jonnydangerous
26-01-11, 10:48 AM
from VERY cold, start the bike, if its missfiring VERY briefly touch the downpipes to give an indication of which one is cold, that cylinder isnt working.....

Gamer
26-01-11, 06:03 PM
from VERY cold, start the bike, if its missfiring VERY briefly touch the downpipes to give an indication of which one is cold, that cylinder isnt working.....

Good test to be honest. Few days to test so I will know for sure if it is only a certain cylinder/s or it is changing :)

Jon W
It is more like rubber burning - not fuel :(

pilninggas
26-01-11, 06:04 PM
So taking all fairing apart again - tank goes up and I will test it in dark too next week.
can I change coils (left to right and right to left) and see if this will sound different?? - or better no?
yeah i'd leaving the fairing off until you sort it. If a coil is 'breaking-down' then you can remove one and see if anything changes and then vice-versa.

Mark_Able
26-01-11, 08:26 PM
If you've had the tank off, you might have trapped a breather pipe. Easily done, and would have a similar affect... :-?

Gamer
03-02-11, 11:12 PM
Thanks all - but it turns out I have overheated the engine at some point - question is why???.

Coils are looking good
All 4 spark plugs do generates equal spark
Fuel line and all others are connected.
Plugs in nice dark colour, not wet, not oily.

Only thing I have spotted - there is a barely visible white residue in oil. I have spotted it by accident to be honest - after stopping the engine I had a look and when oil was filling the window it came with this small white mark going through oil.

Any idea what is letting go in my engine ?? :-?

Jon_W
04-02-11, 08:18 AM
Could be anything.... if the engine dosen't sound bad, the only way to tell for certian would be to totally strip the engine. If you are that worried, drop the iol out and look in it. If it's full of metal, then there's a problem. If not, your fine.

Does this cutting out only happen in the cold???

Mark_Able
04-02-11, 08:39 PM
It's an air cooled engine, so head gasket is not likely to be the cause of white residue in the oil. Normally the residue is down to water getting into the oil. If you've done a lot of short journeys where the engine doesn't get up to temperature, condensation can build up in the engine producing the same affect. Being an air cooled engine, I also find it hard to believe it's overheated at this time of year. Maybe back in the summer, whilst sitting in traffic? I wouldn't be convinced it's overheated... :-?

Jon_W
07-02-11, 08:27 AM
I think the GSX is oil cooled... but that's only circulating the engine oil.

The problem sound similar to the one the GS had a while back. That was carburation. Check the plugs when it plays up.

Mitch9128
07-02-11, 09:25 AM
Could be carb icing at this time of year, only way to be sure is splosh some Silkolene pro fst or IPA into a tankful.

Jon_W
07-02-11, 10:36 AM
IPA into a tankful.

Is that Wadworths?? ;D Only kidding!

Is a damed good idea. A capful in a tank is all you need to find out.

Gamer
07-02-11, 12:21 PM
Jon W - engine can start with little delay and than it goes to run on all 4 cyl., but I was forced to stop on the way to London going 65mph, not reving it nothing to make it bad - still it goes to no power for no reason :(
I am unable to check plugs as I am on the road and it will go away after few minutes so I can continue my jurney, but then I am watching my revs even more.

Mitch - I am using additivs both for car and bike from time to time and I was no it whan it all happened :( - but it does not realy make a difference on cold start for me i think. But I will try your Silkolene...

Able T - I have had several old (teenage times) cars and I still remember how they overhated. I know it is barely possible to overheat engine in +5, but that is what it looked like :'( I am thinking maybe cylinder rings are not holding and pressure goes to oil causing some side effects (white residude)

On the good side the little burning smell just after starting a bike is gone now - I hope for good and it is a good sign :) I hope :-?

Worst thing that I would have to rebuild the engine ?!?! - the bike is not worth putting in that much money in it :-/ :-/ :-/

Mitch9128
07-02-11, 01:44 PM
If as you say above you were cruising and suffered power loss, then after stopping it went after a min, then it deffo sounds like carb icing. The old oil cooled lump in your bike is prone, as is mine. Get some Silkolene Pro Fst asap, use as directed.

Gamer
07-02-11, 06:26 PM
Thakns Mitch I will buy one and apply asap.
I was using my bike at around +1 this winter - so you right

Todays test ride -

20 miles reasonable revs, no problems
red light and my right hand went out of control :o :o :o - rev hard up to 120mph and just after a mile it happened again.
Stopped and with bit cold hands I have touched oil radiator in front - it was too cold to warm my hand ?!?!
When I checked engine casing, sides - burning effect.

2 minutes later started the bike and went no problems :( :-/

So the engine was hot (do not think too hot) - but oil radiator was cold. Is that normal??? Have I got any problem with cooling part of oil....

Kopite
07-02-11, 08:16 PM
I had a similar problem with my old GSX1100.
I put some "magic bullet" fuel additive in the tank and went for a long ride, used all the tank, topped up with fuel and put in new plugs. It was fine after that. The magic bullet mix cleans the whole fuel system and de-cokes the engine at the same time. Bloody fantastic results. :)http://addthemagic.com/store/

Mark_Able
07-02-11, 09:25 PM
If you're giving it the beans, and then it starts to misbehave, it's likely to be carb icing. The hared the engine is worked, the more cold air is rushing through the carbs. It's the cold air rushing in that causes the icing. Gentle riding and it's less likely to happen. Our GS's smell like they're overheating when the carbs ice up. Stick in the Pro FST, give it some welly, and see if it does it again. ;)

Gamer
08-02-11, 07:49 PM
Thanks for all advice :D :D :D

Able - I will buy some Pro FST very soon and will try it asap. I will have a test ride over the weekend 70 miles so I will find out.

Thanks all ;D :D ;D