PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Mod1 and Mod2

RachaelEllen
02-02-11, 09:48 AM
Hi all,

As you may or may not know i recently passed my bike theory (49 out of 50 oh yes! ;D) and i am looking to do my test in April when i can get some time off for easter. I spoke to Mark Able and he said to hold off booking it as the test may be changing. Now as i hear you all let out a collective sigh and mutterings about why can't they leave it alone, i wonder whether any of you have heard anything similar?

I have been scouring the internet to see what these changes might encompass but i haven't had much success until a friend directed me here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/dsa/Documents/MPTC/2010/dsa_atb_newsletter_issue_23.pdf

Now i don't know whether these changes would be a good thing or a bad thing for a new rider - will it be harder or easier?!

Squashed_Fly
02-02-11, 09:57 AM
Don't wait around hun, just get it out of the way. It's MUCH easier doing it the way it is now. Only worry about the manouevres for part 1, and then you can forget them for the main ride.

Having done tests both ways, I wish now my car test could have been done in 2 parts as well. ok, so it's a bit more expensive by £30/£40, but what's that in comparison to getting out on the open road, wind in your face? You could be just as likely to fail a single test on either of the parts in mod 1/2 so it's negligable. he longer you wait, the longer you'll be waiting!

Scaredy_Cat
02-02-11, 10:26 AM
That's a long time to wait if the dates in the report are correct. :-?

As SF says, it's actually quite good to be able to do the manouevres separately from the road ride. 8-)

Call me cynical, but I'd also be concerned about what the changes would do to the cost of testing - can't see the government making it cheaper! ::)

Scaredy_Cat
02-02-11, 10:27 AM
P.S. Congrats on the theory result! 8-) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
02-02-11, 10:45 AM
Congrats on the theory.

Am with the above, just get the test done. You can get very old waiting for the DSA to change things for the better.

Good find with that document.

Robf
02-02-11, 11:39 AM
I'd personally get on with it, i've done the test both ways, and although it's more of an inconvienience this way it saves doing manouvers out on the open road. and when they bring in the new test theres bound to still be a bit of hostility around the fact that they didn't just leave the original test alone, because in the space of 2 years they've changed the test now they're trying to put it back.

Rob

Mark_Able
02-02-11, 08:16 PM
Give me a shout Rachael and we'll sort some dates... ;)

jonnydangerous
03-02-11, 03:53 PM
Have a go now, might be onto a winner :-)
good luck.

NiteW4tcher
03-02-11, 05:15 PM
get it booked get it passed get riding :)

Scotty
03-02-11, 06:42 PM
Whichever way you go Rachael, good luck! And well done for the theory test too woo! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Loops
03-02-11, 06:48 PM
The current format really isn't as bad as it sounds :)

Doing all the manoeuvres off road means you don't have to worry about other traffic (but remember to still do the observations) and the practical on-road section seems so short - I was convinced I failed mine, it seemed so little time that I was out for! ;D

BB
05-02-11, 09:35 AM
Go for it! :)

BB

Jacde
10-02-11, 06:01 AM
Rachael, go for it asap as I don't think test is changing in the next 9 - 12 months.
I would have thought with the experience you've already gained riding your 125 you'll pass first time. I unfortunately failed mod2 and had to wait over 6 weeks to get another test date >:( something you ideally don't want to have to do!

Mark_Able
10-02-11, 11:31 AM
The latest information from the DSA implies the test will probably change again at the end of this year, or beginning of next. They are currently trialling a single module test to be carried out entirely on the road, as long as they can find safe areas to do the manoeuvres. What a crock! Basically, having spent countless £millions (I heard in the region of £67m) on building Multi-Purpose Test Centres to carry out the manoeuvres, they're reverting back to the original test, but with a couple of extra manoeuvres. In the meantime, the whole Motorcycle Industry has suffered due to the bad press the modular testing system received in the last couple of years. Countless training firms have gone out of business, and shops either closed or not selling bikes in quantities they need. DSA, what a joke... >:( >:( >:(

bobf279
11-02-11, 06:46 PM
hear hear