PDA

View Full Version : bike mechanics

Beamer
01-01-11, 06:11 PM
This is just a thought.
I am pretty crap at basic mechanics with bikes and would like to learn how to do things to my bike and how it works etc etc.
I know there are things on youtube etc and books to use but I was wondering is anyone willing to 'teach' me (and anyone else who's interested) the basics so I dont always need to go to a mechanic to fix little problems? :) :)

Scaredy_Cat
01-01-11, 06:26 PM
Good idea [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Gotta be better than my trial-and-error approach! :D

Jacde
01-01-11, 06:39 PM
Brilliant idea Tina, I'd be interested in this too :)

Squashed_Fly
01-01-11, 06:52 PM
Me too!

silly_simon
01-01-11, 07:31 PM
I can/could show peeps how to adjust chains,change plugs, air filters, oil filter changes etc

I'm NOT a qualified mechanic and as such would only advise you and show you the very basics [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

If interested we can easily sort sommat out for a weekend :)

Mark_Able
01-01-11, 08:25 PM
Funnily enough, this was a subject we thought we might cover in the future, with one of our classroom sessions. Maybe even do a couple of hours one evening in the summer? :-/

Beamer
01-01-11, 09:19 PM
Excellent stuff..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dabz
01-01-11, 09:28 PM
I'd be up for that too

HensonA
02-01-11, 04:03 AM
Excellent idea Tina and I'd be interested in attending a "basics" training session [smiley=thumbup.gif] :)

Jon_W
03-01-11, 05:13 PM
I can/could show peeps how to adjust chains,change plugs, air filters, oil filter changes etc

I'm NOT a qualified mechanic and as such would only advise you and show you the very basics [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

If interested we can easily sort sommat out for a weekend :)

Ditto here. Am a qualified engineer, and service my fleet of bikes, but am not a motorcycle mechanic.

Am very happy to demostrate the principles, and show peope how to do the basics.

The basics I think are:

Oil Change,
Filter Change,
Removing wheels
Adjusting chains
Checking plugs
Changing bulbs and Adjusting lights.
Replacing Brake pads and shoes (a little more in depth because of the safety).

These will save you money for sure.

Fault finding is a little more in depth, but the very basic principles can be taught, and I'm happy to do a session as well.

Numpty_Dumpty
04-01-11, 08:20 PM
This is a superb idea! Just what I need as a newbie!

jonnydangerous
05-01-11, 02:49 PM
and if any of you fancy an advanced course at any point, il do the turbo charging, cylinder head flow theory (valve,cam, inlet tract diameters and lengths, combustion chambers, exhaust port and pipes), nitrous injection principles etc... ;-)

Squashed_Fly
05-01-11, 04:50 PM
Jaydee - where do I sign up? NOS course sounds like fun! I don't want to have the same instructer that taught smellygerm though...

whizz
05-01-11, 07:26 PM
hi i could help you i am a mechanic by trade and bike mot tester so would be able to help with any problems ! drop me a message if this would help out :)

Beamer
05-01-11, 09:17 PM
Thanks loads whizz......pm on way :) :) :)

Scaredy_Cat
05-01-11, 09:28 PM
Looking good! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nelly
06-01-11, 07:45 AM
I like this Idea. I'd be up for some education...

Bikermouse
06-01-11, 09:46 PM
and if any of you fancy an advanced course at any point, il do the turbo charging, cylinder head flow theory (valve,cam, inlet tract diameters and lengths, combustion chambers, exhaust port and pipes), nitrous injection principles etc... ;-)

and put my "new" front tyre on! lol ;)

crewy
08-01-11, 09:28 AM
This would be a great way of saving money as well, when i serviced my ducati last year and changed the cam belts the cheapest quote i got was £600, so bought all the stuff and did it my self and it only cost me £110 in the end, so deffo worth learning the odd bit here and there

Jon_W
08-01-11, 03:07 PM
Absolutely. Dealers cream £40 per hour for labour, so doing it yourself is far cheaper. Plus you know the work is done properly and using proper parts.

Nooj
18-01-11, 07:28 PM
Knowing basic maintenance is a MUST on a bike, not to save money as such (which it will) but to be able to spot things before they turn serious, either financially or life threateningly!

Basic spannering lessons are an excellent idea!

Beamer
22-01-11, 11:33 AM
Just a quick update..... thank you to all of those who have offered their services on this.....Whizz has offered to do this with us so many thanks to Whizz firstly.
I have found a lovely venue with toilet facilities, drink and food on site and lovely hosts (hehe)...known to WBer's.......It's the Harp and Crown hehe.
Saturdays are a good day.
I shall be speaking to Whizz in the very near future but if anyone has a specific date and time they would prefer i.e work commitments etc please let me know so we can try to arrange this to accommodate as many as possible.(obviously we will need to accommodate Whizz first as we kinda need him there hehe)

Once a date and time are set I will put this thread into the meets and ride-outs section so it doesnt get missed. (well i will ask one of the moderators nicely if they will do it as Im pants with the technical side of things :D)

NiteW4tcher
22-01-11, 08:53 PM
awsome

Scaredy_Cat
23-01-11, 08:34 AM
Excellent - thanks Whizz! 8-)

Squashed_Fly
23-01-11, 08:58 AM
Sounds great! Sooner the better as I should imagine we'll all be looking to overhaul things ready for spring/summer shortly?

CharleyX
23-01-11, 10:45 PM
That sounds great well done Tina [smiley=thumbsup.gif] and big thankyou Whizz hope i can make this.

virginie_morisot
24-01-11, 03:34 PM
i'm up for that !

Jon_W
24-01-11, 03:37 PM
I might send my missus on this.... that way she can fix her own bike!!!

:D

Or on the other hand I might loose that discussion..... ;D

Beamer
13-02-11, 08:47 AM
OK......after chatting with Whizz we have a date for this.....I have started a new thread for this on the Meets and Ride-outs section. :) :) :)