PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki ZX6r G2

kwak_zx6r
27-11-10, 02:43 AM
OK appreicate that I haven't come on hear much however I have a problem with my bike (model in the subject line).

I came back from Germany with the bike running ok but on the round trip around 1200 miles I used about 1/2 ltr of oil. Since coming back which was september I have not turned a wheel, so went out to the garage and the bike wont start. So far I charged the battery, swapped out the plugs as they needed doing, and found the fourth HT lead (offside when sat on the bike) to be damp and a little oil on the spark plug. The bike will still not fire, I can smell the fuel going through the system - so what am I missing?

I have limited mechanic skills and would rather try to sort it myself than take it to a dealer as I don't gain any experience. So if anyone can offer advice or offer a hand and are local to West Swindon help would be appreciated - I can offer tea coffee beer and food.

Cheers

Stuart

Mitch9128
27-11-10, 08:22 AM
Cam position sensor? Get a multimeter on it. Are you getting a spark on all 4 cyclinders? Have you put the ht leads on in correct order?

silly_simon
27-11-10, 04:52 PM
Stuart
May seem obvious but have you checked the KILL switch mate ?

If you can smell fuel then I would say it is most likely an electrical problem but unfortunately thats not something i'm very good at :(

cheers
Simon

kwak_zx6r
27-11-10, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.

Mitch - I don't have a multimeter, and like Simon am not too good with electrics, can't tell if I am getting a spark on the cylinders as you have to take the tank off the bike completly - so can't get fuel to bike. The HT leads were removed one at a time (to ensure this didn't happen.

Simon - Good call on the kill switch, can't imagine I would be so silly to foget that :-[ ! Will check it when I finish work tomorrow morning.

Sean.C
27-11-10, 09:04 PM
Does the engine turn over when the starter is pressed and still not run or does it not turn over at all?

kwak_zx6r
27-11-10, 11:53 PM
The bike turns over, just doesn't fire. As said I'll check the kill switch first (hopefully won't be that).

wiltshire builders
28-11-10, 03:17 AM
Does the fuel pump prime when you turn on the ignition?

Mitch9128
28-11-10, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the reply guys.

Mitch - I don't have a multimeter, and like Simon am not too good with electrics, can't tell if I am getting a spark on the cylinders as you have to take the tank off the bike completly - so can't get fuel to bike. The HT leads were removed one at a time (to ensure this didn't happen.

Simon - Good call on the kill switch, can't imagine I would be so silly to foget that :-[ ! Will check it when I finish work tomorrow morning.

Rig up an old washing up liquid bottle or sumsuch with a bit of hose, one plug at time, you need to check spark. Cam position sensors know to fail on these, you really need a multimeter to check resistance. Also you can check resistance across the coild packs.

Cemorah
28-11-10, 10:11 AM
Hi Kwak Got a multimeter & timing light and a fair amount of electrical & mechanical knowledge pm me if you need help

kwak_zx6r
29-11-10, 01:56 PM
Right all,

Thanks for the replies so far, I have checked and its not the kill switch (few)

Mitch - I'll try that, at least I can test the plugs as you say.

Gunterpot i've pm'ed you.

Mitch9128
29-11-10, 03:28 PM
If you haven't got a Haynes, get one, keep reporting back here, everyone will try and help as much as they can.

Scotty
29-11-10, 05:58 PM
Something worth trying, to maybe eliminate it from consideration is what I had to end up doing now and then on an old ZXR750 I had years ago (with a ZX-9 engine in it, nice bike...) - sometimes the bike just refused to start, often when warm, for no apparent reason, and after having a modular problem on a car a few years previously I learnt that if it didn't start, unplug the cdi box and then reconnect it and voilĂ*! the annoying sod would start straight away >:( It was probably down to a malfunctioning transistor in the cdi, but whatever the cause of the issue, both car and bike never failed to start after doing that. It might be worth trying on your ZX - the cdi will probably be under the rider's seat, a large flattish unit with one or two multi-plugs connecting to it. If you already have it partially dismantled it should be easy enough to find and it's a simple look-see.

BB
03-12-10, 12:38 PM
^^^^ Ah, the traditional IT solution to all ills ...turn it off and then back on again ;D ;D

BB

Jon_W
06-12-10, 02:38 PM
^^^^ Ah, the traditional IT solution to all ills ...turn it off and then back on again ;D ;D

BB

Is that preceded of followed by shouting and swearing at it... :-?

kwak_zx6r
16-02-11, 06:23 AM
Gunterpot - you have a pm

Jon_W
16-02-11, 08:03 AM
Ok,

Have had the same on the girlfriends scoot.....

1. Is there a spark? Take one plug out at a time and ground againg engine/ frame etc to check.
2. Is the spark (if present) white?
3. Are the Ht leads on in the correct order?
4. Is there not a smell of fuel?
5. Are there any broken or corroded wires?

If the answer to these is NO then you have an ignition issue. If the answer is YES you have a fuel issue.

The ignition could be a duff coil if one plug is affected, a duff crank pick up, bad connections or a fubar CDi (what I've got).

The fuel could be a bad pump, stale fuel, blocked pipe or jet. Or the fuel tap not on.....

Hope this helps!!!!