PDA

View Full Version : How do I straighten my wheel

Squashed_Fly
13-02-11, 03:59 PM
Picked up my new paddock stand (thanks Nick!) on Friday, decided that with my ankle swollen, I would do some maintenance on my bike seeing as how I've only lubed the chain & cleaned it in the last 1500 miles!

Have adjusted the slack on the chain, tightened it all up and been out for a very quick blast up and down the A419 today. Below 60 miles an hour, it sounds and feels like there is something on the wheel knocking against the swingarm so I'm thinking I haven't got the wheel straight. Only troube is, I'm not sure how to right it!

I didn't use the guides on the swingarm, I counted the turns of the spanner. This is the first time I've done this in about 5 years so may have made an error :(

NiteW4tcher
13-02-11, 04:48 PM
can i ask why u didnt use the marks? there there for a reason

have u checked the chain for tight spots?

Squashed_Fly
13-02-11, 04:50 PM
The marks weren't the same on both sides to start. They are a guide, not a failsafe.

Mitch9128
13-02-11, 04:53 PM
Sure it isn't chain slap, or tight spots? Wheel not on straight would have it falling into corners, depending on which way it was out. The guides on my 9 are spot on, i've checked them with a straight edge, even if your's are not 100% they would be close enough for it to be negligible. You can get laser guides on ebay for around £30, use a straight edge, or there is a string method, all pretty well documented on t'internet.

NiteW4tcher
13-02-11, 05:02 PM
The marks weren't the same on both sides to start. They are a guide, not a failsafe.

id put money onthere more accurate than counting ur spanner turns.

manufactuers dont spend obscene amounts of money developing stuff not to be accurate enough. if there out by a noticable amount then something isnt straight to begin with

Squashed_Fly
13-02-11, 05:40 PM
If it's a tight spot, which I think it could be from the feel of it, any thoughts on how I can sort that out?

Mitch9128
13-02-11, 06:35 PM
If it's a tight spot, which I think it could be from the feel of it, any thoughts on how I can sort that out?

Usually caused by rusted up rollers inside the chain, make sure you adjust the chain on the tight spot or you'll cause costly damage. Time for a new C&S, nothing you can do really.

wiltshire builders
13-02-11, 07:39 PM
Check for tight links. De-grease the chain completely and work any tight links loose. Get all the grime off of the chain then re-oil it.
All chains have a tight spot even new ones so, as Mitch said, find the tight spot and tension the chain at that point otherwise it could get damaged.
You were right to count spanner turns, it is much more accurate than using the markings. It might be a stupid question but you did do them both up first to ensure they were starting from the same point didn't you?

silly_simon
13-02-11, 08:08 PM
Mate lets start at the beginning,
Did you remove the wheel completely ? If so you may have a spacer in the wrong place.

If its a tight spot then a new C & S is the way forward.

seems strange that its only doing it now you have fiddled :o

Squashed_Fly
13-02-11, 08:32 PM
you did do them both up first to ensure they were starting from the same point didn't you?

I did not know I needed to do that! Feel stupid now!

Simon - I didn't remove the wheel. I just slackened off the castle nut, undid the locking bolt and then tightened 2 turns on both sides so the chain had about an inch of play.

Beginning to think I should have gone back to basics and researched a lot more thoroughly :(

Can't figure out why it didn't do that before though if it's a tight spot in chain....

Scotty
14-02-11, 07:53 AM
SF, the method for assessing your wheel alignment is documented here (http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1296993514) - once you've got it straight, just follow the instructions to keep it that way, and by counting the flats you were doing the right thing (just helps if it was straight in the first place!)
If it's making a noise below 60 mph, put it back on the stand (ENGINE OFF!) and spin the wheel to find the cause of the noise.

BIG TIP: once your wheel is aligned, it's easy to keep it that way. When removing the rear wheel DON'T TOUCH THE CHAIN ADJUSTERS! Remove the spindle, push the wheel forward, unhook the chain from the sprocket and hang it over the end of the swingarm and withdraw the wheel. Replacement is simple reversal of the steps... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
14-02-11, 08:13 AM
Get a measuring device, measure from the swing arm pivot centre to the spindle centre, repeat for both sides. Adjust until both are equal.

Unless the frame is mullherd this works.

Jacde
14-02-11, 12:56 PM
Or do as I would do, flutter my baby blues, smile sweetly at one of you lovely strapping hunks of manhood and supply copious amounts of tea/coffee and biscuits while you show me how to do it! ;D

Honda_Star
14-02-11, 01:06 PM
I am sure GHD do something that might help with that?? ;D

Nelly
14-02-11, 01:19 PM
Or do as I would do, flutter my baby blues, smile sweetly at one of you lovely strapping hunks of manhood and supply copious amounts of tea/coffee and biscuits while you show me how to do it! ;D

;D at least your honest! ;D

Squashed_Fly
14-02-11, 02:42 PM

Please can we have a 'Like' button Dabz?

That made me smile :)

I've had it up on the stand again today to clean the back wheel methodically and checked, but couldn't see any sign of a tight spot..... May just need a new chain & sprocket set. This one has done 14,000 miles...

Mitch9128
14-02-11, 03:19 PM

Please can we have a 'Like' button Dabz?

That made me smile :)

I've had it up on the stand again today to clean the back wheel methodically and checked, but couldn't see any sign of a tight spot..... May just need a new chain & sprocket set. This one has done 14,000 miles...

Pinch the chain on the rear sprocket and pull, if it comes away from the teeth then 'tis nacked.

crewy
14-02-11, 10:09 PM
1 way to check if the wheel is straight, is to get a set of vernier calipers and measure from the base of the adjuster bolt to the stop on the wheel. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cemorah
15-02-11, 05:11 PM
Bring it to Cricklade for a second opinion if you wish Can reset the wheel alignment at the same time. I've always used the string method take only a few minutes- takes longer to brew a cup of tea. PM me if you are interested.

Jon_W
16-02-11, 08:04 AM
1 way to check if the wheel is straight, is to get a set of vernier calipers and measure from the base of the adjuster bolt to the stop on the wheel. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

That assumes the slots are even in the swing arm...... not like the ones on my GS!!!! :D

Squashed_Fly
16-02-11, 06:16 PM
Thanks Gunterpot. Look forward to seeing you on Sat. Rode to and back from cheltenham today and it's definately not right. Really bad slapping/knocking feling coming from the chain/rear end :(

Never had this when I used to do the chain on the Aprillia. I'm wondering of I've over tightened it slightly.

njl
16-02-11, 11:28 PM
I would try and avoid putting many miles on it until it's checked / sorted, if the chain has a tight spot and is pinching up it'll start do punish your output shaft bearings as well as the chain.