PDA

View Full Version : Fan & Heat

Squashed_Fly
05-03-11, 05:17 PM
Just got home from a quick 45 min ride. Put the bikes in the garage, and when I took the key out, suddenly there was a loud fan noise, and the front end felt like it had quite a bit of heat around it. Checked the temp on the gauge, and it was 102, which is normal after a ride, and checked the coolant and all ok. It would only stop when I started the engine again and then took the key out.

This has never happened before, just wondering if it's 'normal' on occasion? I have just had a new carbon can fitted, could it be anything to do with that?

Will keep an eye on it and see if it happend again, but just thought I'd ask if anyone knows what it could be...

alanTDM
05-03-11, 05:47 PM
Not sure about the bike fan coming on but iv heard a few cars doing that .You could be running lean check your plugs as a lean mixture with cause engine to overheat ,Might need to be rejetted cause of new can changing mixture.

Scotty
05-03-11, 06:46 PM
102º is normal???? Have you set the temperature readout to Fahrenheit or something? Your normal temperature shouldn't be anywhere near that unless you spend an awful lot of time stationary in traffic. I wouldn't expect to see much higher than around 85ºC after a ride, maybe a couple of degrees higher if I'd just ridden in traffic, but on a pretty chilly day at this time of year I'd be surprised to see in excess of 75º at all....

njl
05-03-11, 07:26 PM
I think my Aprilia's fans come on between 92-95 on the dash, though doing anything over 50mph its sat around 70deg. Sitting around at 30 or less will get to see the fans spin up.

stretchie_
05-03-11, 08:16 PM
What bike is it?

Where you in traffic just before you pulled in.

Some bikes just run hot. I'd say if the fans kick in, let them run until they turn themselves off, they are probably just doing what they were put there to do.

If it becomes a regular occurance you might want to take the thermostat out and test it in your kitchen with a pan of water and a thermometer in your kitchen

Squashed_Fly
06-03-11, 09:27 AM
I'll keep an eye on it then and see how it goes.

The bike is an 02 zx6r

jj
06-03-11, 09:32 AM
my bike does the same always runs in the mid to high 90s and hits 100 when driving slow or in traffic and the fan will run when ignition off untill temp falls to mid 80s

NiteW4tcher
06-03-11, 09:46 AM
102 does seem high my 750sits at 70-75 this time of year and unless sat in heavy traffic mid summer never goes above 90-95

Jon_W
07-03-11, 08:21 AM
For normal running 102C is high.... but for round town that sound's not too bad. The fan is the thermostat cutting in, it running on dosen't sound wrong.

jonnydangerous
07-03-11, 08:33 AM
bike not running = no water pump...
no water pump = "heat soak".....

bike is clever, its doing what its supposed to do, if you turn it off, no water circulation due to no water pump, so the fan kicks in and prevents overheating of parts...
youll still get convection currents with the pump not turning...

all is good, it doesnt need fixing cos it aint broked. :-)

Squashed_Fly
07-03-11, 09:13 AM
Went out all afternon yesterday and kept an eye on the temps and all was fine. Panic over nothing!

Wonder if it was just because it was left ticking over after a 'progressive' ride on the drive while I put away the other bike and bits and bobs.

I got an instruction leaflet with my new exhaust that said 'bike must be ridden in to the garage, and given some extra revs once inside, so that you can enjoy that lovely new sound even more' ;D ;D ;D