PDA

View Full Version : R6 buying tips?

rich1988
08-03-11, 09:44 PM
Hiya guys, not been on here in awhile! (about 4 months!) due to my accident, wrist is on its way to recovery and I have gotten rid of the old 7r on monday, naturally although I said I wasnt going to ride bikes again for at least a year I cant help myself from being tempted back onto two wheels!

I want an R6 (around 2000-2003 model) and want to know if there is anything I should look out for, I know they have an issue with 2nd gear if treated roughly? but apart from that dont know anything about them,
Cheers guys :)

Squashed_Fly
09-03-11, 01:32 PM
Good buying tip is always turn up with 2 lots of cash. A price you want to pay in one pocket, and the rest to make it up to the asking price in the other. Then you can always say 'honestly, that's all I've got' but if they don't budge, and it is the bike for you, then you can make it up! Make it look like you're really emptying your wallet for someone to make them an offer, you'll be surprised at how much easier it is to get your bargain, than counting out your offer from a huge stack of 50's, with loads left after.

Can you tell I work in sales? lol

Scotty
09-03-11, 06:03 PM
Give the bike a thorough going over - these are very popular in the PI (Pre-Injection) club race classes. Ex-race bikes have surprisingly good bodywork for their age, very low mileage too, but the wheels will have seen a lot of tyre levers so they look a bit incongruous in relation to the nice bodywork. Ask the seller whether it's been raced first of all and see what answer you get. Check that the bodywork fits properly, all the panels align correctly - if they don't, it's probably been crashed and sort-of straightened. Other clues are evidence of lockwire - have the bar grips been wired on at some stage, has the sump drain bolt been drilled?
That aside, the pre-2006 R6 is actually a better road bike than the later ones - more comfortable and with a more usable spread of power, doesn't need the tits revving off it to get anywhere... 8-)

rich1988
09-03-11, 09:39 PM
Good buying tip is always turn up with 2 lots of cash. A price you want to pay in one pocket, and the rest to make it up to the asking price in the other. Then you can always say 'honestly, that's all I've got' but if they don't budge, and it is the bike for you, then you can make it up! Make it look like you're really emptying your wallet for someone to make them an offer, you'll be surprised at how much easier it is to get your bargain, than counting out your offer from a huge stack of 50's, with loads left after.

Can you tell I work in sales? lol

Done that quite a few times!

Uber Dave
11-03-11, 03:49 PM
doesn't need the tits revving off it to get anywhere... 8-)

Thats the only thing that really annoys me about mine, esp if I have just ridden something with lower torque.

Col
12-03-11, 10:37 AM
:( an acquaintance was selling his 04 a month back which has been looked after with plenty of extras for about £3.4k but lives in Yorkshire tho which is prob way too far :( ... got his email if interested