PDA

View Full Version : Play in the calliper

Squashed_Fly
12-03-11, 12:53 PM
There's a little bit of play in my rear brake calliper. I've checked the bolts are tight, which they are.

Is that normal?

If I take the calliper in my hand I can shake it a little bit. Not lots, but there is a bit of movemement and I can't work out what could be loose.

I was under the impression that with callipers, everything should feel solid and bolted down so am a little concerned....

470four
12-03-11, 01:12 PM
Its all good! Most caliper run a sliding pin system with the pistons only on one side of the caliper... when the brakes are applied the caliper will pinch the disc vice - fashion, the play you are feeling is the necessary clearance between the pin & housing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTllR-nOo28

As the piston pushes the pad in on one side the caliper slides along and brings the opposite side into play! Note the rubber seals, these should keep road wet & gak out of the pins & housings, if your brakes stick on then these pins usually need a strip & relube again... ;)

silly_simon
12-03-11, 04:58 PM
I think youre looking for faults where there arnt any mate :)

ride more...worry less [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Squashed_Fly
12-03-11, 05:29 PM
Trouble is, most of the time I'm usually so laid back about stuff. But my bike is my baby and she's almost 9 so she's bound to start having a few tantrums, like anyone approaching teenage years.

I've taken stuff in the past to mechanics and said 'oh it's sounded/felt like that for ages but it still went so I didn't bother doing anything' and have been told that if you ride it lots, and then one day anything, no matter how small, feels different; you should find out why. It could be something not worth worrying about or it could be something that if went wrong at 130 could kill you.

So if anything mechanical doesn't feel or look how I think it should, then I'll always ask. I'd rather be told 'you don't need to worry, that's normal' than not ask and one day something serious happening.

silly_simon
12-03-11, 05:45 PM
Trouble is, most of the time I'm usually so laid back about stuff. But my bike is my baby and she's almost 9 so she's bound to start having a few tantrums, like anyone approaching teenage years.

I've taken stuff in the past to mechanics and said 'oh it's sounded/felt like that for ages but it still went so I didn't bother doing anything' and have been told that if you ride it lots, and then one day anything, no matter how small, feels different; you should find out why. It could be something not worth worrying about or it could be something that if went wrong at 130 could kill you.

So if anything mechanical doesn't feel or look how I think it should, then I'll always ask. I'd rather be told 'you don't need to worry, that's normal' than not ask and one day something serious happening.

Couldn't agree more buddy, But 2 things to consider here
A) If you ride at 130mph on the road then youre asking to be killed !!!
B) If doing it on a track then the scrutineers would have given the bike a look over

My plain and simple advice here is go get a Haynes manual and do some reading :P

Its not meant as callous so don't take it that way, I have had manuals for all the bikes i've owned and they can and do give you plenty of info regarding such things [smiley=thumbup.gif]

470four
12-03-11, 05:46 PM

+1

Machine maintenance will always be first and foremost in my book... a badly maintained car will maybe put you into a hedge, another car perhaps?

A badly maintained bike will kill you.

Squashed_Fly
12-03-11, 06:00 PM
I've got the Haynes manual, and another kawasaki workshop service manual. Trouble is, if your not mechanically minded, then sometimes there is no substitute for someone explaining something to you in plain english, or even better if they have the time to show you.

I know it wasn't meant callously! I just don't want to make the same mistakes now I'm older, wiser & I can afford to correct any problems, that I did when I was younger by just leaving stuff until it became a serious problem.

silly_simon
12-03-11, 06:35 PM
Yup I know exactly where youre coming from mate ;D
I used to ride bikes that I wouldn't dream of even starting nowadays :D

Lets face it though if you give youre bike a pre-ride check and find something amiss then you don't ride it, But also if everything is ok you jump on and off you go, you don't think about anything happening but if a part of any motorcycle suffers a catastrophic failiure whilst riding there is not a great deal you can do about it specially if its spat you off in a heap :o

Thats just the chance we all take with mechanical items ::) there is always a chance sommat might go pearshaped but we all hope it doesn't :)

Dex
16-03-11, 05:10 PM
I've got the Haynes manual, and another kawasaki workshop service manual. Trouble is, if your not mechanically minded, then sometimes there is no substitute for someone explaining something to you in plain english, or even better if they have the time to show you.

I know it wasn't meant callously! I just don't want to make the same mistakes now I'm older, wiser & I can afford to correct any problems, that I did when I was younger by just leaving stuff until it became a serious problem.

You're right to check - if you're not sure about something mechanical it's alway worth making sure.

You're in abbey meads, I'm in Priory Vale. If you wanna pop the bike round this evening we can stick it in the garage and give it a look over. I'll be able to tell you if it's nothing to worry about or if it could be a problem.

Dex
16-03-11, 09:45 PM
Nice to meet you :)

Squashed_Fly
17-03-11, 11:47 AM
Ditto! Couldn't believe it was the same house that I delivered pizza to before passing my test - how random!

Looking forward to seeing you and the missus (on her Fazer! :P ;D) out on the bikes soon!