PDA

View Full Version : VFR PROBLEM!!!

SHREKUSVFR
18-03-11, 05:44 PM
went to work on my bike yesterday started no problem came home again no problem both journeys with lights off. went to a friend house in the evening in the dark so obviously llights on it started no problem wen i went to go home but turnt into my street and it cut out so i hit the electric start and it was dead so bumped it an let it sit ticking over for five minutes with the lights off turnt it off and it started fine again and again this morning it was a bit slow starting but fired up and also when i let work was the same but did start it had a new battery in october time surely it would last longer than that.

R1chie
18-03-11, 06:10 PM
Can you remember if your bike was running a high temp last night before it cut out? Any noises or clunks?

The bike could be overheating, but more than likely some electrical issue as a guesstimate

No...not sure why I'm writing in that font either :o

SHREKUSVFR
18-03-11, 06:30 PM
wasnt running hot at all mate never does temp guage always sits about quarter only thing i can think of is alternator/rectifiyer but thought id see if anyone had come across this before

470four
18-03-11, 07:20 PM
wasnt running hot at all mate never does temp guage always sits about quarter only thing i can think of is alternator/rectifiyer but thought id see if anyone had come across this before

Rectifiers not unknown with the VFR's...
Have you put a multimeter across the battery at all?

Should show 12.8v +/- with engine off, if the voltage drops with the engine running or with you lights on the charging system is at fault. ;)

alanTDM
18-03-11, 07:32 PM
Charge your battery up and then when its fitted start the bike get a multimetre and check the voltage between the + and - it should be about 14v approx 3Krevs then switch your lights on and see if it has dropped eg to 12.50v approx if it has then probably your alternator or rec/reg is shorting out.you can check the alternator by undoing the plug from alternator to reg/rec and using a multimetre on Continuity setting.you should have 3 cables from alternator connect multimetre + to one cable and - to engine or frame,each cable should register the same value or Buzz or not Buzz if not you probably got a short in the alternator if there all the same then it could be your reg/rec thats the problem. Might need to check a Haynes manual for continuity check.

i had a bike which started ok and went all day ok but soon as i put the lights on after about 5mins it would just stop that was a faulty alternator.

amills
18-03-11, 11:59 PM
Regulator/rectifier. Similar symtoms I had last year. If this is the case, make sure a modified R/R fitted, i.e. its slightly larger curved fins (not the uniform fin length version).

Si
19-03-11, 11:04 AM
PM Gunterpot on here. Hes a top bloke and knows all there is to know about VFRs! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

nobby
19-03-11, 08:19 PM
had the same problem on a hornet, got it checked out & turned out to be the rectifier.

SHREKUSVFR
19-03-11, 08:20 PM
thank you for all your help guys will do the multi-metre test at work monday and let you all know the outcome

Jon_W
21-03-11, 08:27 AM
Ditto. Also check the connections from the battery are tight. That can cause all fun!!

Cemorah
21-03-11, 06:30 PM
Looked in me manual (pm me if you need a copy) Standard charging voltage should be 13.6-16Volts at 5000rpm

NB If your bike has stood for a long time and has an alarm sometimes the first starting is enough to flatten the battery. You no doubt follow all good advice and ride with your lights on not giving the charging circuit a chance to catch up and you get these symptoms.

Trickle charge the battery for 24Hrs so it is in tip top condition and keep it there with a weekly charge

Also known to give problems - inside RHS Fairing are 2 connectors with yellow wires these can get dirty clean up and spray with WD 40 or electrical grease.

Look on bikers oracle.com/VFR this is a very common problem and there is loads written about it some even fit 2 RR on top of one another for a quick change over.