PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference...

Squashed_Fly
09-03-11, 05:30 PM
between an O-ring & X-ring chain?

Scotty
09-03-11, 05:55 PM
One's got O-rings, the other has X-rings....simples! ;)

O-rings have a circular cross-section, X-rings have a cruciform cross-section (looks like an X), they both do the same job of keeping lubricating grease within the chain rollers, the idea of X-rings is that they have a smaller surface area in contact with the side plates and links so there's less friction as the links rotate around sprockets - check the chain manufacturers' websites for their blurb on it....

Squashed_Fly
09-03-11, 06:00 PM
So X ring is better then?

Mitch9128
09-03-11, 06:29 PM
Make your own choice. In theory the X ring should allow the built in lubrication to last longer but IMHO having used both and as a Scottoiler fan I never noticed any difference, however Gold coloured ones look pretty :D

pilninggas
09-03-11, 07:23 PM
So X ring is better then?
nah, just another marketing ploy...................

tommyjgraham
09-03-11, 09:03 PM
I always use X-ring chains. In theory they are better and come at no real greater costs

Squashed_Fly
10-03-11, 10:11 AM
Well if they are gold, then that settles it for me!

stretchie_
10-03-11, 10:45 AM
Well if they are gold, then that settles it for me!

Not ACTUAL gold you know
;D

Squashed_Fly
10-03-11, 11:24 AM
Ah what? never!

I thought I could send it off to Cash My Gold when it started to wear out :(

Flying Half-Dutchman
21-03-11, 09:17 PM
They are both rubber sealing rings. One has a round section (the o-ring), the other has an X section (the.. oh go, on, you know). Both seal in the same way & last about as long as each other. The x-ring is just a gimmick. I've worked as a design engineer in hydraulics for the last 20 years & I've never seen an X-ring used anywhere. Engineers alway go for the good old o-ring. They are the cheapest & best.