PDA

View Full Version : Doh!

Squashed_Fly
25-03-11, 02:45 PM
Think I might be posting quite a lot in this section in the next few weeks :(

Have just done my air filter clean and re-oiling. The instructions were great - you can use engine oil or filter oil but let it soak for around 20 mins, then replace the filter and refit the box lid etc.

At no point did it say wring out the excess oil from the filter, so now it's dripped down my downpipes and into the rag I'd left under the bike!

If it's just a little oil I can clean up, I'm not bothered, but can it get into the carbs etc, and will the engine be able to breathe? Or will I need to take it all apart again, wring it out and then pop it back in?

I knew I should have just got someone else to do it! But I want to learn it for myself. I just don't want to ride off on it now if it might cause a major problem.

Thanks to anyone that posts to help. Don't want to sound like a numpty all the time!

Dabz
25-03-11, 02:55 PM
sounds like you need to come along to the mechanics thing tomorrow morning mate! (incidentally I don't know the answer to your question which is why I'm going tomorrow!)

Snowy
25-03-11, 03:42 PM
Whether any oil gets further than the airbox depends on the design of the airbox. But thinking logically, the engine pulls air from the airbox to the carbs/injectors so that where any oil would end up. If it was me I would clean out as much excess thats leaked into the airbox as you can, let the filter itself drain overnight, refit and take it for a blat, sorry ride. :)

Si
25-03-11, 04:21 PM
Engine oil? Surely thats not thick enough or tacky enough to stay on the filter? It would just get sucked into the carbs over time? What filter is it? Im presuming its a foam one if you can wring it out?

Squashed_Fly
25-03-11, 04:51 PM
It is a foam one.

This will teach me for knowing a bit about how to do a job, and relying on wikipedia for the rest!

I have however taken the filter out, wrung it out and re-fitted it all now. Bike started ok. Bit of smoke came off the down tubes when they got hot but it settled after a bit.

On the plus side, I've learnt lots ready for next time!

silly_simon
25-03-11, 05:07 PM
You may find it will smoke for a bit from the exhaust as any excess oil is 'pulled' through the system :o

And also I agree that really you should have used filter oil as it is stickier so holds onto the dust and crap particles better :)

Snowy
25-03-11, 05:16 PM
It is a foam one.

This will teach me for knowing a bit about how to do a job, and relying on wikipedia for the rest!

I have however taken the filter out, wrung it out and re-fitted it all now. Bike started ok. Bit of smoke came off the down tubes when they got hot but it settled after a bit.

On the plus side, I've learnt lots ready for next time!

You used Wikipedia???? They didn't tell you to put 4 Litres of GTX on it did they? Bit of advice, get a proper manual or Colin to sort it out for you. ;)

Si
25-03-11, 05:26 PM
Invest in a Haynes manual or similar if you dont know what you are doing its written by people who know what they are doing, itll save you money in the long run. Or as Snowy says give it to someone who knows what they are doing and watch! Anyone can write an article on Wikipedia and whos to say they know what they are doing! :-?

Squashed_Fly
25-03-11, 07:03 PM
I have got a haynes manual. And the official kawasaki workshop service manual

alanTDM
25-03-11, 09:42 PM
Haynes book of lies are great for showing you how to do things ,Use the official one for torque settings and measurements etc.
The Haynes manual for my bike says i should have 2 H4 bulbs for headlights but in fact there H1 and H3 ffs.
Also join a Kawasaki UK forum for your bike you'll get loads of info on those as well

Gixxer_Tom
25-03-11, 09:55 PM
I'd Steer well clear of using Engine Oil on a filter dude.. Air Filter oil is totally different!

Engine oil dosn't trap the dust particles like air filter oil mate.
Its the wrong consistency too meaning it will drip etc.

Whoever told you to use that needs their head checkin!

Tbh... Don't panic about what oil may of got sucked in, it wont do any harm really, you'd be surprised at how little it would of sucked in..

Most bikes airboxes have lil trumpets (velocity stacks) and the air pressure wouldn't normally be enough to lift the oil over th stacks and into the throttle bodies.

personally i'd remove filter and re-clean... then re-oil with the proper filter oil...

clean out any excess thats got into the airbox...

Wipe cleans the throttle bodies if any got on them...

The hot exhaust will burn off anything else.... might smoke a lil.. will be blue-ish in colour, but don't panic its just cooking the oil off.

I use to own a rally car several years back....i accidentally tipped oil onto the manifold.... this smoked for days until it was burnt off! oops :)

Defo Don't ask wikipedia for advice mate..... that site isn't gospel its a collection of opinions collated by many people...

and those people often know 'jack!'

Your haynes manual should definately have this in it... and so shud the Kawasaki manual too...

I use to race motocross and us mx boys know a thing or too about regularly sorting are airfilters, as we have to do that after every race.

Hope you get it sorted :)

Squashed_Fly
26-03-11, 09:12 AM
Thanks wk. Will get some filter oil when I get paid on thurs. Hopefully will be ok til then

jonnydangerous
04-04-11, 04:21 PM
engine oil isnt "waterproof" it forms an emulsion and goes all "gloopy" (technical terms!)....
there are a few gear oils that are actually stable in water, and if you really want to use an oil use some of these EP90's.
when you get water onto your air filter, from damp days, spray, rain etc it will form a gloop...

the spray cans of filter oil are fantastic, put some waste paper down, put your filter on top and spray the filter. leave it for a bit to go "tacky" (another technical term) and put the filter back in.

you really want to be removing the engine oil from that filter......

Squashed_Fly
05-04-11, 08:52 AM
I have some filter oil on order, will be in store tomorrow. I tried Halfords, Triumph & GW's and none had any in last week...