PDA

View Full Version : Alarm / immobilizers

NoYou
03-05-11, 02:09 PM
Right well as I am considering spending quite a lot of time and money fixing and ... improving my bike. I'm thinking i should probably get some sort of alarm or immobilizer at some point in the near future. Don't have a clue about them so its a pretty open thread, just want some views/opinions/reviews on different systems and if its worth getting them fitted professionally or DIYing it etc.etc.yada.yada. so on and so forth.
Also i'm assuming they normally just fit into the wiring loom on the bike but if not then please enlighten me ;]
Geo

Jon_W
03-05-11, 02:23 PM
I personally would avoid aftermarket alarms and immobilisiers.. Have seen too many go wrong.

But someone may have a differing view. As to fitting, I'm sure the wiring isn't hard, but making sure the theiving scum can't just bypass it would be the intersting bit.

Mitch9128
03-05-11, 03:00 PM
I've got a Datatool Evo in a carrier bag, i ripped it off my bike couple of months back. Temperamental at best, and frustrating when they won't turn off when you need to get going, get an Almax chain/ground anchor and 2 bags o'crete.

NoYou
03-05-11, 03:07 PM
If a ground anchor was an option i would but i live in a flat in a listed building and don't "own" the driveway and i'm not sure the managing agent would be too pleased if i started digging holes in it xD and i would probably need some sort of permission to do it bc its a listed building... :/

Mitch9128
03-05-11, 03:44 PM
Bucket o'crete then :) Big plastic bin, full of concrete with a ground anchor in it, or chain the bike to a lamp-post?

Jon_W
03-05-11, 03:58 PM
I used to live in a block of flats, and mine was chained to the lamp post. Never had a problem.

Mitch9128
03-05-11, 04:16 PM
Failing either of these, get something ****, like a Harley. No-one will nick it, and if they try, they'll break their back trying to load it in a van.

NoYou
03-05-11, 05:01 PM
Failing either of these, get something ****, like a Harley. No-one will nick it, and if they try, they'll break their back trying to load it in a van.
haha made me chuckle, best solution to bike theft ever!

njl
03-05-11, 06:02 PM
There is a Meta 357v2 in my garage complete with unused loom. Swapped it off my bike as it only has one fob and no override code with it so can't add another. Welcome to it if you want it. Touch wood it's never misbehaved or played up, mine now has one identical fitted. Loose the fob or it breaks however might have to be wired back out before you are going again.

njl
03-05-11, 06:02 PM

I tried that approach with my old bandit 400 that was somewhat tatty, someone eventually thought it was worth joyriding though :-(

Mitch9128
03-05-11, 07:22 PM

I tried that approach with my old bandit 400 that was somewhat tatty, someone eventually thought it was worth joyriding though :-(

Should have got the 1200, way heavier, and no-one nicked mine :)

NoYou
03-05-11, 07:50 PM
There is a Meta 357v2 in my garage complete with unused loom. Swapped it off my bike as it only has one fob and no override code with it so can't add another. Welcome to it if you want it. Touch wood it's never misbehaved or played up, mine now has one identical fitted. Loose the fob or it breaks however might have to be wired back out before you are going again.

Well if i wasn't really prone to losing anything smaller than the bike itself then i would take you up on that offer but... well... i am... ... ...
:p
Geo

FJ_Biker
04-05-11, 08:50 PM
I am not a fan of alarms at some point if you don't keep your battery charged it will all end in tears.

If it is grade two listed you can put a ground anchor outside as long as it is not fixed to the building, the bucket of cement is a good idea. I can get you a 50 gallon plastic drum to you can cut down and fill with cement if you wish.

Good luck

igbell
04-05-11, 09:12 PM
I have a Datatool on my bike and never had an issue