PDA

View Full Version : Oil Warning light

Uber Dave
30-04-11, 05:04 PM
I went down to Devon for Easter weekend and during that trip at our camp site I parked the facing up hill in gear on the side stand. Each morning when I ran the bike the oil light would illuminate for a moment after I set off (Each time I stopped and let it go off) so I put it down to the angle of the bike when it was parked. I did obviously check the oil as per normal just to make sure (still plenty off it)

I have since been back for a week and thre times out five now I have been out on the bike the oil warning light illuminates for a short time when I set off, then goes out and I dont see it again. This is with it been parked level now, on the side stand. I have checked the oil again today before and after a ride out and plenty of oil in the system still (its a dip stick on the R6 an its 3 quarters up the stick toward the top of the hashed area)

I am stumpted. I have oil which is still golden in colour, the light goes out each time after a moment, there are no dodgy knocking/scraping noises, performance is not impacted.

Thoughts?

Edit: Its going in for the mirrors to be replaced under warranty in the next week so if all else fails I will speak to the mechanics at Yamaha about it.

silly_simon
30-04-11, 05:19 PM
Dave,
How old is the oil in there mate and when was the filter last changed as my Fazer thou will occasionally throw an oil light up during acceleration :o also with plenty of oil in the system :)

Admittedly mine is coming up due a service so the oil is pretty thin and what with this hotter weather it is probably getting thinner still ;)

Uber Dave
30-04-11, 05:49 PM
Its 4000 miles since the last service and is due one in 2000, will be having it done in about 1500 though.

470four
30-04-11, 06:29 PM
Duff sensor methinks... new one should be cheap enough, will also stop you having heart failure each time the light comes on. ;)

spudgun
01-05-11, 12:37 AM
are you checking the oil while on its side stand, or in a proper upright position?

Si
01-05-11, 09:23 AM
Dave if its the same as the R1 its a level sensor rather than a pressure sensor. Doesnt take much of a drop in level to trigger the light. Top it up to max line and it should stop, mine does anyway...... :)

silly_simon
01-05-11, 10:01 AM
Dave if its the same as the R1 its a level sensor rather than a pressure sensor. Doesnt take much of a drop in level to trigger the light. Top it up to max line and it should stop, mine does anyway...... :)

Thats what I was thinking off but had a bit of brain fade :-? :-?

Uber Dave
01-05-11, 12:53 PM
are you checking the oil while on its side stand, or in a proper upright position?

Stood upright.

Si, I think that may be the deal and its just coinsidental that we went away and parked it on a hill.

FJ_Biker
01-05-11, 09:50 PM
I get the same on my yam when the oil starts getting a bit low, it also has an oil level sensor. It also comes on going up hills as well.

I have been living with this on FJ's for 15 years. Mind you the technology in your bike is somewhat better it might be worth just checking out on an R1 forum.

Jon_W
02-05-11, 08:03 PM
Sounds either like a design fault or a duff sensor.

Uber Dave
04-05-11, 04:01 PM
I have been on a couple of Yam & R6 forums and it seems like a common fault with the bikes when the oil get towards needing a topup. Done just that this afternoon and so far (from running it up after while stationary) so good. Am out later on tonight on it so will see how I get on.

Uber Dave
05-05-11, 06:18 PM
Problem solved, must have had low levels despite it been at the upper end of the dip stick.......

Si
06-05-11, 09:25 AM
God im good! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Glad you got it sorted Dave! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]