PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

Rossio
13-05-11, 06:18 AM
Hi all,
It's time to regain my stopping power, any recommendations regarding the best disks and pads?
I thank you

Mitch9128
13-05-11, 09:29 AM
http://blackshadow-uk.com/default.aspx Raved about on the 9r forum, and they give us 10% forum discount too, maybe manglement here could ask? Pads are good EBC HH copies too, especially @ £10 for 2 pairs!!!

Snowy
13-05-11, 09:38 AM
I have always had a good experience with the EBC Double H pads. Never had to change a disk yet so can't comment on that one.

Jon_W
13-05-11, 11:14 AM
Am using Armstrong pads on the GS at the moment. Great stopping power, good life and not expensive.

Scotty
13-05-11, 11:32 AM
This (http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1301506924) recent thread covers brake pads. Again I'd go for SBS as I mentioned in it - maybe not the cheapest, but do you really want to pinch pennies on something like brakes? :-?

Probably the best thing you could do to improve the performance of the brakes on your VFR would be to bin the linked brake system and fit proper conventional brakes, at least that way you'd get full power to both front calipers when giving the lever a squeeze...

Rossio
13-05-11, 12:46 PM
Great thanks, it has been suggested that that's a good thing to do Scotty, if you posses the knowledge of how and wouldn't mind showing me?? :)

Scotty
13-05-11, 03:48 PM
Probably the first port of call would be a good Honda parts department guy (or girl) who could tell you whether the VFR master cylinder has a different part number to other models or whether it'll work with a conventional line set-up - if that were the case you may get away with as little as a new set of lines and junk the linked crap (the rear m/c might be different to a normal one as that has to move enough fluid to operate half the front brakes as well) - a good parts department person would know - alternatively, look for a VFR owners forum, I bet the mod has been done plenty of times already so the knowledge will be out there...

Squashed_Fly
13-05-11, 04:02 PM
I don't know what they are, but the standard brakes on the Z750 are pretty good. Squeezed Andys brakes as hard as I normally squeeze mine. Not only did I stop in half the distance, I promptly slammed by balls into the tank! Needless to say, I was softer on the brakes next time!

Rossio
13-05-11, 10:10 PM
Thanks scotty

470four
14-05-11, 10:05 AM
Probably the first port of call would be a good Honda parts department guy (or girl) who could tell you whether the VFR master cylinder has a different part number to other models or whether it'll work with a conventional line set-up - if that were the case you may get away with as little as a new set of lines and junk the linked crap (the rear m/c might be different to a normal one as that has to move enough fluid to operate half the front brakes as well) - a good parts department person would know - alternatively, look for a VFR owners forum, I bet the mod has been done plenty of times already so the knowledge will be out there...

I had a 2003 Vtec VFR? The lefthand front caliper hinged & as the front brakes were applied pushed up into a second master cylinder operating one out of the three rear brake caliper pistons. The rear brake pedal operated to other two? Overall an overcomplicated system which still dived under braking & didnt throw as much %tage onto the back brake as I liked?

There were SIXTEEN brake lines in the system... :D

Should be an easy conversion? You can remove most if not all of the extra hoses by removing them and using single banjo bolts instead of double? Tried two different types of pads, in the end I got better results changing the discs... :)

Rossio
14-05-11, 12:35 PM
It's a 98 my one, doing the tyre again 2moro so whilst the wheels of il chuck the new pads in n see how it goes I want some posh wavy disks when funds allow, :)