PDA

View Full Version : bike mechanics please help!!!!

SHREKUSVFR
15-05-11, 10:53 PM
I have a honda vfr nc30 400. recently i had trouble starting it so replaced the battery this was ok for 2 days then it went flat again so reading some forums and decided its was the rectifier so replaced that. this started the bike again but only for 10minutes of riding withe the lights on then i was back to square one. so i have chased the wires back from the battery and the rectifier to find 3 yellow wires melted so i've now sorted thats but again this hasnt cured it. it started with another new battery i left it ticking over for 10minutes whilst switching the lights on now and again turnt the bike off then it wouldnt crank just seemed like the battery was dead. After doing all this i was getting very frustrated so removed the fly wheel casing only to find it full of oil which i dont think is right. i was going to take the flywheel off to check the stator plate but am not sure if i need a special puller? do you think i have a seal gone and where would be the best place to get one because i am pretty sure theres ment to be no oil in there? and lastly can the seal be changed without splitting the engine apart as i remember from my mx days that the seals came out from the inside? any help would be grately aprieciatted as im pretty much at the end of my tether and am seriously thinking about selling it as it is now. :'(

kn
16-05-11, 01:43 AM
Alternator casing full of oil is normal as the alternator runs in oil. Make sure you top up your engine oil when you put back together or you may seize your engine. Do you know how to use a multimeter?

Jon_W
16-05-11, 08:24 AM
Ok, before you go pulling the bike apart you need to do some simple electrical checks.

Is the battery on the correct way?? Sorry to seem insulting but it is obvious.... are the connections clean and tight?

Is the ground strap ok and good continuity?/

First, get a wiring diagram for the machine (Haynes books are good for this)

You need to asses weather there is a drain on the battery or weather the battery isn't charging. The melted wires make it sound like the former... have you upgraded the lights???

Yo will need a multimeter with voltage and current ranges, some wire and a bit of patience.

You will ned to check that there is voltage and current coming out of the alternator at roughtly 18-20Vac, then out of the rectifier at 14Vdc and into the battery. you will need to check the current direction and flow at there points with the engine static, lights on, engine running and running with lights on.

crewy
16-05-11, 06:06 PM
Sounds like an electricle problem to me, Jon W is right you need to get a multimeter and check to see if you have a drain on the battery, could be anything like a sticking relay, conectors touching etc

Cemorah
17-05-11, 07:22 PM
Sound to me like a duff battery it should last more than 10 mins however as you have melted the alternator leads you may have done for it as well.
PM me if you need a hand have all the required bits to test it for you. Even a spare reg/rec - yes I have a VFR as well!

470four
17-05-11, 08:30 PM
Shrek - are you on www.400greybike.com?

Lots of helpful guys on there - this is a common problem with the NC30's & Im sure they will be able to offer advice as to what is wrong & how to sort it? ;)

Truly recommended site... :)

Jon_W
19-05-11, 10:30 AM
Shrek - are you on www.400greybike.com?

Lots of helpful guys on there - this is a common problem with the NC30's & Im sure they will be able to offer advice as to what is wrong & how to sort it? ;)

Truly recommended site... :)

Ditto. Good bunch on there.