PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Brake Bleeding,Bleeding easy

alanTDM
21-05-11, 11:45 AM
After getting some Yammy Blue Spots for my bike i had to bleed the brakes after fitting them.
So this is what i done.I had a non return brake bleeder (from Halfords)which i have had for a few years but always bled the brakes the conventional way from the top down ,this time i done it in reverse.

Tools i needed 8mm spanner (sussed out two would be easier while doing it)Twin front discs
6 copper washers
12mm socket and torque wrench.
Brake bleeder
and Agricultural syringe takes about 60ml(Got mine from Country Wide Store Melksham) and some tubing to fit the bleed nipples and a larger dia to fit syringe.
Brake fluid DOT 4 i got two 500ml bottles just in case.
and rags to protect the Tank paintwork.

I drained all the old fluid out of the pipes and replaced the old callipers with the Blue Spots, undone the banjo bolt on the master cylinder but placed rags under the M/C to catch what was left in the M/C so not to get on the petrol tank.Then refitted the pipes to the Bue Spots with new washers and torqued them up.
I fitted the non return brake bleeder to the left calliper into a jar with some old fluid in it.and the syringe to the right after i filled it with Brake fluid.
I injected the fluid into the right and watched it come out of the left till all bubbles had gone then tightened the bleed nipple then the right one, i left the pipe on the left calliper..
With the cover off the M/C i refilled the syringe and injected brake fluid into the caliper and up to the M/C making sure i did not over do it to just above minimum mark.you can hear the air coming out of the M/C while you pump the fluid in.When i got over the min mark i closed the bleed nipple.

I pumped the brake a few times till it felt solid.I topped up the M/C and then i bled the brakes the normal way just to make sure,but no air bubbles came out of left bleed nipple so done the right and that was ok.tightened the right, took brake bleed pipe off and pump the brake lever a few times.
the level of the brake fluid was then topped up just below the top of sight glass to allow for air space other wise brakes can bind. Dont think i missed anything out.
ps If you slacken the bleed nipples to much fluid with come out through the nipple threads 1/2 turn is all that is needed

@bj
21-05-11, 11:51 AM
Got any pictures..?

alanTDM
21-05-11, 12:14 PM
No i havent, thought about pics but that was after i done it :-(