PDA

View Full Version : lowering foot pegs

SueZX4
17-06-11, 12:18 AM
Does anyone know of any Kawasaki footpeg hangers which would bolt onto the zx4 frame (same as the zxr400) which would mount them slightly lower in a more comfy position? I have a bit of a hip problem and am finding the position of the foot pegs as they are seem to be aggrevating it! (old age and all that...!!)

Jon_W
17-06-11, 08:08 AM
Not sure. Am happy to have a look and try to make somthing if needed.

SueZX4
17-06-11, 08:41 AM
Thanks Jon, that's a very kind offer :) Are you going to the Cheddar ride on Sunday? We'll be there, if you're not, we've started going to the H&C Weds... Instantly recognisable by the age of both bikes (D and E reg) and apparently the trail of engine parts that have fallen off Simon's GPZ!! :D

Jon_W
17-06-11, 09:00 AM
No, I'm not out at the weekend. Am about at the H&C though. Will chat to you there.

Mark_Able
17-06-11, 09:18 PM
It's possible to get adjustable rear sets (Harris for example), but they're not cheap, and I'm not sure you can go for a lower position.

NoYou
17-06-11, 09:33 PM
As mark says you can normally get a new rear set for most bikes that are fully adjustable, but they are really quite expensive, a Gilles set for my bike is about £350! I'm sure you could find something to fit though (might have to... bodge it a bit but i fast learning that copious amounts of hammers can make anything work! :P) :]
Geo

Scotty
17-06-11, 10:37 PM
I doubt very much if any adjustable rearsets will position pegs any lower, that's exactly the opposite of what they're designed to do, they go further back and higher up for more ground clearance, which would probably exacerbate aching hips. It is possible to get rearset plates that can move standard pegs back and up a bit, what you need is an Engineer to design and get fabricated a set specially for you to to lower your pegs, though in doing that they would still go back slightly, though back is actually more comfortable as your hips won't need to flex as much. Why not try sitting on a few bikes to see how the footpegs feel in relation to yours Sue and then see what you want to do - you may be pleasantly surprised how much comfier they are just moving back a bit rather than down, and you won't lose any ground clearance either. I may still have a set of drawings somewhere that I did years ago for adaptor plates to move the pegs on a race bike - the dimensions may differ but the principle's the same and it'd be easy enough to mark a drawing up with alternative dimensions :)

Bornagain
18-06-11, 10:42 AM
....And our resident Toph is a whizz with his sausage fingers when it comes to anything and everything metal related ;)

Jon_W
19-06-11, 07:55 PM
....And our resident Toph is a whizz with his sausage fingers when it comes to anything and everything metal related ;)

Indeed!!! 8-)

SueZX4
19-06-11, 08:02 PM
thanks guys, any help or advise would be really appreciated! Went on the Cheddar ride today and to be honest, was in quite alot of pain by the time we got there! Had to stop a couple of times coming home, just to stretch out abit. It's one of those things that apparently I have to live with and learn to manage the pain, I just didn't appreciate when I got the bike that it would affect it! Any bodging, or anything, would be fantastic as I really love my bike! he's unusual and has character - and there's no way I could afford to get another one - this one was stupidly cheap, being a non-runner with a last MOT being 4 years ago! You guys are stars! Thank you :) :) :)

mick_benson
20-06-11, 07:38 PM
after seeing you on your bike yesterday, lifting the bars may well help you'd sit up more

simongpz
20-06-11, 09:09 PM
ive just had a look at sues bike and raiseing the bars is not posible due to the angle of the screen and fairing the bars that are on there only just clear it on full lock
nice idea though just a shame it wont work on that bike

Jon_W
21-06-11, 08:01 AM
If your at the H&C tomorrow I'll have a butchers.

SueZX4
21-06-11, 08:59 AM
We're planning on being there - I would say unless it's hammering down, but funnily enough we were there last week in the cosy confines of the gazebo - or on the edge of it, not a good place to be when a gust of wind blew the pooled up water on top over me.. which gave a certain person an idea.. !! haha!
Seriously, we'll make a point of being there. It would be good to get some ideas as what to do when you actually see what there is to work with! Thanks again :)

Mitch9128
21-06-11, 09:26 AM
If the mounting bolts are same as 9r/12r you can fit Buell pegs which will lower, as per here http://www.zx-9r.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24855

simongpz
21-06-11, 04:14 PM
If the mounting bolts are same as 9r/12r you can fit Buell pegs which will lower, as per here http://www.zx-9r.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24855
good idea how expensive are thay