PDA

View Full Version : Baffle removal

DaytonaDog
06-04-11, 10:20 PM
I finally gave into temptation and decided it was time to remove my baffle from the exhaust. I managed to remove the retaining screw, but the baffle would not budge. On closer inspection it seems that the bottom part of the piece of metal holding the baffle in place is stuck in some form to the inner rim of the outer can. No doubt the answer is blatantly obvious and I'm being simply ignorant, but can anybody offer any suggestions as to how I can remove the baffle with the minimum of fuss. My initial thoughts are to spray WD40 on it in the hope it will loosen it up.

Snowy
06-04-11, 10:31 PM
Chris its usually a case of gripping the inner baffle with some pliers (protect the baffle with some cloth) and yanking it out. WD40 beforehand might well help as they can be very tough to get out.

Green Man
06-04-11, 10:46 PM
Chris its usually a case of gripping the inner baffle with some pliers (protect the baffle with some cloth) and yanking it out. WD40 beforehand might well help as they can be very tough to get out.

I second that just make sure that there’s not a rivet on under side if not give it a good yank

Gixxer_Tom
06-04-11, 10:52 PM
Or that its welded in the Tailpipe as you could end up ruining your 'can'.....

Outta curiousity, have you got a spare exhaust for if its goes horribly wrong.... or even still that you remove it and its way too loud!

i don't have baffles either... just a straight through, full system.... i can honestly say i didn't realise it would be as loud as it is!! eeeeek!

But i do have a quiet core baffle insert for it that i can plug in to take the edge off a lil....

My advice is, make sure you have a plan B if you yank that out and its excessive! lol :)

Now just do it!!! lol ;)

What you need is spuring on by Jaydee.. he's good at that kinda stuff! lol.

470four
06-04-11, 11:02 PM
As above - WD40 and a cloth over the baffle flange before a wiggle with pliers, failing that give it a few light taps with a hammer to break the seal caused by all the carbon deposits, maybe mole grips if the flange is big enough?

Be assertive.

You only have to use it once a year for MOT's and the tester wont mark you down points if it shows a few marks... ;)

If no joy try it again after you have been out for a long ride & the tailpipe is hot / after careful blowtorch application.

Roxy
06-04-11, 11:06 PM

sounds simple...so what went wrong on sunday when you and the geek were suppose to be doing mine on the airfield??

Special K xxx

Green Man
06-04-11, 11:12 PM

sounds simple...so what went wrong on sunday when you and the geek were suppose to be doing mine on the airfield??

Special K xxx

Roxy next time your in the area pop in are take them out for you,,, and you will hear that bike sing to you lol

Gixxer_Tom
06-04-11, 11:14 PM
I beg ya pardon young lady?!?!

We are still on about exhaust right?? :-X

Hahaha "Special K".... love it!

Thomas ;)

Roxy
06-04-11, 11:23 PM
it's yet another new name! ;D ;D

I kinda like it! thanks G :-*

well I am special ;) ;D ;D

Special K
LMGS
MFS
LMDG
Rox
Roxy
Roxster
Roxaroo
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Snowy
06-04-11, 11:23 PM

Special K xxx

You have been blasting that Ars6 of yours so hard it's welded the baffle to the can ;D

Roxy
06-04-11, 11:25 PM

Special K xxx

You have been blasting that Ars6 of yours so hard it's welded the baffle to the can ;D

nooooooo not me! [smiley=engel017.gif] must have been Dabz on Saturday!! LMAO!!!

xx

Gixxer_Tom
06-04-11, 11:35 PM
You forgot Roxamillion....

Like maxamillion..... But it Rox more!! ;)

Roxy
06-04-11, 11:37 PM
You forgot Roxamillion....

Like maxamillion..... But it Rox more!! ;)

now that made me chuckle...nice one noob! ;D ;D ;D ;D

R x

Gixxer_Tom
06-04-11, 11:45 PM
Lmfao.. Knew it'd make ya smile! :)

Lol... "Noob", as my new-ness is fading quickly, i can only assume you mean't Nob!! lol...

Nob defo fits me better! lol ;)

Thomas :)

470four
07-04-11, 10:16 AM
(Applys sleep & logic)

Unbolt the can and PUSH the baffle out from the other side using a long length of wood & a hammer. ;)

Simples. :D

Roxy
07-04-11, 10:10 PM

Lol... "Noob", as my new-ness is fading quickly, i can only assume you mean't Nob!! lol...

Oh God no, I never meant nob, I save that insult for someone else on here! ;)

I quite like 'noob' sounds like you are one of the hoobs! anything with 2 oo's and a 'b' in sounds good! ;D

Roxy x

Toph
07-04-11, 10:45 PM
Hey Chris... you go steady riding through wiltshire with no baffle.... a certain Mr Williamson might "feel yer collar!" :o ;D ;D ;D
I would love to be a fly on the wall when that happens!! lol :D :D

Jon_W
08-04-11, 10:33 AM
(Applys sleep & logic)

Unbolt the can and PUSH the baffle out from the other side using a long length of wood & a hammer. ;)

Simples. :D

Unbolt baffle, rev engine, stand well back!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

You should be able to remove it, but alot of them are sealed in with silcone. Just grip it with pliers (protected to stop scraches) and twist trough 90 degrees. Then twist it and jiggle it 'till it pops out!!!

jonnydangerous
08-04-11, 11:55 AM
can you take the silencer off the bike and tap the baffle out "from the other end" with a broom handle or similar???....

NiteW4tcher
08-04-11, 04:19 PM
if u like u can borrow my ex's broom ;D

Gixxer_Tom
09-04-11, 08:24 AM

I quite like 'noob' sounds like you are one of the hoobs! anything with 2 oo's and a 'b' in sounds good! ;D

Roxy x

LMFAO.... You must really love the word 'Boobs' then Roxy!! ;) x

WTF is a 'hoob' anyhow???
Glad you don't think of me as a 'Nob'.... But I really Don't think Dabz deserves that title either! ;)

Know you two are close... but thats a lil harsh even by your standards hun! :)

Have these Damn baffles been removed yet!?! lol...
If not i'm coming round to do it myself! lmfao :)

I think a video should be posted afterwards ;)

Thomas 8-)

DaytonaDog
09-04-11, 12:57 PM

Roxy x

LMFAO.... You must really love the word 'Boobs' then Roxy!! ;) x

WTF is a 'hoob' anyhow???
Glad you don't think of me as a 'Nob'.... But I really Don't think Dabz deserves that title either! ;)

Know you two are close... but thats a lil harsh even by your standards hun! :)

Have these Damn baffles been removed yet!?! lol...
If not i'm coming round to do it myself! lmfao :)

I think a video should be posted afterwards ;)

Thomas 8-)

Thanks for the various tips people, I haven't had the chance to give the baffle removal another go yet, but with the various suggestions I'm sure I will be waking up the neighbour in the not to distant future. No doubt being the saddo that I am, I will post a before and after video clip.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

silly_simon
09-04-11, 02:26 PM
Knowing you are a very LAW abiding person Chris you will probably put it straight back in anyway :P :P :P

Roxy
09-04-11, 07:00 PM
Thomas.......

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/roxychick72/Hoobs.jpg

The Hoobs! "Hoobalicious!"

Roxster! ;D x

flick
09-04-11, 09:30 PM
Thomas.......

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/roxychick72/Hoobs.jpg

The Hoobs! "Hoobalicious!"

Roxster! ;D x

;D ;D ;D

Gixxer_Tom
09-04-11, 10:56 PM
Roxy.... you've just moved down majorly in list of people i respect!! lol...

No more talk of 'Hoobs' please...weirdo! lol

Thomas ;)

Roxy
09-04-11, 11:00 PM
this is what happens when you have kids! ::)

You get dragged kicking and screaming into the land of cbeebies, milkshake and the hoobs!!!! ;)

It's all good fun!

Roxy x

Gixxer_Tom
09-04-11, 11:08 PM
Sounds ace!! ;)

I love my cartoons like cartoon network etc...but i think i'd draw the line at 'hoobs' lol.

Tom x

Roxy
09-04-11, 11:15 PM
;D ;D ;D hey don't knock the hoobs !

Hoobygalooby :D

Roxy x

Gixxer_Tom
10-04-11, 06:53 AM
OMG!!

If this is the kinda stuff you come out with sober.... I strongly suggest that all alcoholic substances are removed from Roxy's reach!...

Imagine you drunk!! LMFAO.....

Crazy girl! :D :o :-?

Thomas 8-)

Roxy
10-04-11, 04:43 PM
yes I tend not to drink for that very reason! ;D ;D crazy enough sober! :)

Right, so we need to have a baffle removal get together for DD and I!

Roxy xx

DaytonaDog
08-05-11, 06:19 PM
Yep I'd be up for a double debagging of the baffles. Let's get it done.

silly_simon
09-05-11, 03:29 PM
Bring em round one Weekend chaps and I'll see if i can Break remove them for ya :) :)

DaytonaDog
14-05-11, 06:49 PM
Well the baffle removal saga rumbles on!! This afternoon, I managed to remove the baffle, with the well known and trusted mechanical maneouvre, namely a broom handle up the rear and prod it out. Fantastic I thought, at last I've got the stubborn SOB out. I then started up the bike and it was sweet as bro, a lovely deep bassey rumble. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Then went for a quick blat to see what she sounded like at revs. Got to the national limit just outside Wilton, opened her up and a lovely deep rumble as she hit 7-8 thou revs. All going well until I was cruising at about 3.5 thou revs, when I decided to open her up again and quickly turned the throttle and........nothing, nada, zip, nilch, niet, non...the bike just didn't respond and seem to lose compression. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o It was fine if you turned the throttle slowly, but open it full on and she didn't respond. Clearly the ECU couldn't handle the fuelling so a quick turn round to put the baffle back in. :( :( :( :( :(

Got home, went to put the baffle back in and it was just as stubborn going back in as it was coming out, but after some improvisation with the handle of a screwdriver and a hammer, it was replaced. Went for another spin and all fine. :) :) :) :) :) :)

So sadly it appears that the baffle will have to stay in, unless I want to pay for the ECU to be remapped, which is a real shame as she sounded sweet. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Uber Dave
16-05-11, 08:33 PM
Well the baffle removal saga rumbles on!! This afternoon, I managed to remove the baffle, with the well known and trusted mechanical maneouvre, namely a broom handle up the rear and prod it out. Fantastic I thought, at last I've got the stubborn SOB out. I then started up the bike and it was sweet as bro, a lovely deep bassey rumble. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Then went for a quick blat to see what she sounded like at revs. Got to the national limit just outside Wilton, opened her up and a lovely deep rumble as she hit 7-8 thou revs. All going well until I was cruising at about 3.5 thou revs, when I decided to open her up again and quickly turned the throttle and........nothing, nada, zip, nilch, niet, non...the bike just didn't respond and seem to lose compression. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o It was fine if you turned the throttle slowly, but open it full on and she didn't respond. Clearly the ECU couldn't handle the fuelling so a quick turn round to put the baffle back in. :( :( :( :( :(

Got home, went to put the baffle back in and it was just as stubborn going back in as it was coming out, but after some improvisation with the handle of a screwdriver and a hammer, it was replaced. Went for another spin and all fine. :) :) :) :) :) :)

So sadly it appears that the baffle will have to stay in, unless I want to pay for the ECU to be remapped, which is a real shame as she sounded sweet. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Not sure what bike you have, but a Power commander would sort that problem out easy enough if they support your bike!

DaytonaDog
16-05-11, 09:23 PM

Not sure what bike you have, but a Power commander would sort that problem out easy enough if they support your bike!
Dave I've got a Triumph Daytona 955i and having just checked the tinterweb a PC is 319 nuggets of finest sterling. I'll keep the baffle in for the time being. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Mitch9128
17-05-11, 06:35 AM
Or £50 for the map you need from a Triumph dealer.

Dex
12-06-11, 03:21 PM
You don't need a PC 3 on a Triumph (epic waste of money) as the ECU is mappable.

If you wanna call round with the bike to me in Swindon I can load a different engine map onto it and see how it goes - there's a whole library of them online to pick from, I tried out 3 or 4 different ones on my 955 Speed Triple.

Geordie Stu
12-06-11, 04:08 PM
Chris, Some ladies like to stay natural no enhancements...!!! :D

Roxy
15-06-11, 02:04 PM
The Ars6 is going in for a service and mot at JHS soon, I may speak nicely to James and ask if he can take the baffle out of mine and see how I get on....probably to put it back in by the time I get to the end of the bypass!! http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd193/gorillagal/Cheers/fingerears.gif ;D ;D

Roxy x

DaytonaDog
15-06-11, 06:53 PM
The Ars6 is going in for a service and mot at JHS soon, I may speak nicely to James and ask if he can take the baffle out of mine and see how I get on....probably to put it back in by the time I get to the end of the bypass!! http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd193/gorillagal/Cheers/fingerears.gif ;D ;D

Roxy x

What's up with the roxy pit crew? Can't they sort it for you?

Roxy
20-06-11, 08:53 PM

Roxy x

The pit crew are good but they are not able to complete and give me an MOT cert or stamp my Yamaha book with a 12k service record :( BUT the gorgeous guys at JHS Racing can [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]....

Roxy x

DaytonaDog
22-06-11, 11:11 AM

Roxy x

The pit crew are good but they are not able to complete and give me an MOT cert or stamp my Yamaha book with a 12k service record :( BUT the gorgeous guys at JHS Racing can [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]....

Roxy x

A very good point well made.....teach me not to read the post and fully take it all in. Did they take the baffle out for you as well?