PDA

View Full Version : Shock & Fork Servicing

Squashed_Fly
20-06-11, 03:08 PM
Is there anyone on here that can service a rear shock, including removal from the bike?

If not, can anyone recommend somewhere not too expensive?

Jon_W
20-06-11, 03:11 PM
MH Racing in Corsham will do this. TBH, if it's the original shock it's probably worth getting another rather than trying to refirb the original.

Squashed_Fly
20-06-11, 03:26 PM
I looked at that, but they're quite expensive. Looking at about £350, and that's without upgrading it!

Jon_W
20-06-11, 03:38 PM
I suspect that servicing the current one won't be cheap.... I'd get a price first.

Squashed_Fly
20-06-11, 04:27 PM
They quoted £65 + parts. I'd rather give it a WBer who can do it, but if it needs special kit, then I don't mind paying.

wiltshire builders
20-06-11, 04:48 PM
Mark hasn't been in corsham for about 3 years now. He's in Seagry.

Squashed_Fly
24-06-11, 11:58 AM
Just spoke to MH Racing (the £65 price was from their website).

Described the issues etc - quoted around £200 to rebuild the shock, set it up for me, and powder coat the spring to bring it back to new condition.

Now, to try and find a spare £200 in my non existent money fund :(

Scotty
24-06-11, 12:50 PM
For that kind of money you could probably buy a decent 2nd hand aftermarket shock which would work way better than a standard one, even after being serviced...

Squashed_Fly
24-06-11, 01:35 PM
I thought that, but not 100% sure what I'm looking for, and don't want to buy a dud. Ebay's great if you know enough to not get ripped off.

I could find an ohlins/WP in my budget, but wouldn't know if it was any good etc and if I bought it and it still needed servicing, would it just be a waste?

njl
24-06-11, 02:11 PM
Is the stock shock rated on your bike? If you have both compression and rebound damping are you happy it's set up ok? I've bought sh ohlins off eBay before and done ok, the spec service for road is 30k kilometres, you don't want something that has been rotting away of course.

Squashed_Fly
24-06-11, 02:40 PM
No damping left in the shock at all. That said, a second hand standard unit that has been checked for damping is available on the bay for around £75 + delivery so for now, that may be the best option.

Scotty
24-06-11, 05:00 PM
A standard unit would be pants in comparison with an Öhlins/WP/Nitron or whatever decent shock is available, and even if it needs a service, so what? They don't cost that much to do and you'll always have a far better shock for the bike afterwards. The suspension guys around the country (K-Tech, 100% Suspension etc.) are geared to servicing the aftermarket race kit so they can probably do it more cheaply than sorting out an OE item that they don't come across very often.
A quick ebay search found 117 results, no decent aftermarket ones unfortunately - happy hunting, whatever you get...

Squashed_Fly
24-06-11, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I found a load of used OEM ones, but nothing else really.

I'm just wondering if I'm gonna be riding hard enough, often enough, to justify the performance shock. Or if I'll notice much difference.

I'll probably keep this bike for another year or so, then get something a bit newer, at which point I may be able to think about uprating parts like that. I may even (if funds allow), keep this back as a track bike if I can get a new one for the road when I've finished paying for it... Then it would definately be worth upgrading stuff?

Gixxer_Tom
24-06-11, 07:09 PM
Mark Hammond @ MH Racing set my bike up for me SF and he did a bloody good job fella!

He comes highly recommended and i promise you mate that he's a genuine suspension legend!

The bloke literally took two minutes to handle my bike while it stood still in his garage and then told me exactly how it rode and detailed every lil character trait and flaw the bike had in regards to handling.

I seriously couldn't believe that.. he was spot on with it all!!

After he had set my bike up it felt like it was genuinely on rails in the corners and allowed me to chuck it about heaps more.

I dunno about costing on replacement shocks etc... i found his labour/setup cost to be cheap as chips and honestly thought his time and efforts were worth their weight in gold when i rode away!

Make sure you don't take ya bike to someone cheap who will tell ya they know what they doing when they dont mate!

If ya bike gets setup wrong you'll seriously hate riding it!

I can honestly say i can't praise marks work enough and have no doubts what so ever who i will always go back to for any further suspension tinkering!

I know that dosn't answer ya question as such but i thought it might help to hear genuine feedback!

If i didn't rate him mate i'd honestly tell ya he's rubbish!
Local legend in my opinion!

And Wiltshire builders was right mate.. he's in Seagry now.. kinda lower seagry and not too hard to find really.

Just my 2pence worth.

Tom ;)