PDA

View Full Version : confused about rear brake

simongpz
28-06-11, 08:42 PM
Hello all im abit confused about my rear drum brake im possible missing some stupidly easy to sort
ive not used the rear brake for about a year as cauld not get foot on pedal after popping knee out
recently i replaced the shoes as two years in a row i had advisers on them
so new shoes drum in good condition adjusted rear brake to the point where if i went any further it would drag
but the brake pedal has lots and lots of travel on it still
what am i missing please tell me im missing something stupidly odveous :)

Mitch9128
29-06-11, 12:48 PM
Is it cable?

simongpz
29-06-11, 02:47 PM
no solid metal rod

silly_simon
29-06-11, 03:16 PM
New shoes will need bedding in :o And for a little while it will seem as though there is more travel on pedal.

Is there an adjuster on rear pedal ?

simongpz
29-06-11, 04:12 PM
pedal adjust i did not think of that i will give that ago and see what happens :)

Cemorah
29-06-11, 07:15 PM
Check that when brake is "on" that the rod and lever make a right angle.

kn
29-06-11, 08:24 PM
Hello all im abit confused about my rear drum brake im possible missing some stupidly easy to sort
ive not used the rear brake for about a year as cauld not get foot on pedal after popping knee out
recently i replaced the shoes as two years in a row i had advisers on them
so new shoes drum in good condition adjusted rear brake to the point where if i went any further it would drag
but the brake pedal has lots and lots of travel on it still
what am i missing please tell me im missing something stupidly odveous :)

Where do you live? could maybe come and have a look if you want. Bit hard to sort something like this without seeing it.

simongpz
01-07-11, 12:56 PM
just found the problem i changed the brake rod before fitting the shoes as the one on the bike was bent only problem is replacement rod is shorter the the original so the brake arm went back on at the wrong angle
going to put old rod back on and see if that sorts it