PDA

View Full Version : road noise????

Toph
08-07-11, 08:11 PM
I have just had a new front tyre fitted, I now get a noticable "rumble" from the front end when riding. As I have a centre stand, I've lifted the front wheel off the ground, span it manually and it spins quietly.
Is this just road noise from the new tyre?? will it decrease as the tyre wears in?? :-?
I've tried different tryre pressures and this makes no noticable difference.
Any thoughts??? :-? :-?
the noise is worse on more abrasive road surfaces, quieter on smooth, but I never noticed the noise before the new tyre was fitted.

NiteW4tcher
08-07-11, 08:14 PM
what tyre is it mate? is it something differnt to ur norm?

Toph
08-07-11, 08:16 PM
It's a bridgestone battlax BT02 and it's a 120 70 17 ,the original was a 110 70 17

NiteW4tcher
08-07-11, 08:22 PM
it is possible your bearings have given up ..............i had some bearings go after a tyre change once. u woudlnt nessicarily hear it just spining the wheel as there is no load on the bearings. do you get any kind of grating feeling through the bars? does the front feel like it drifts in corners?

if its a different tyre to what your used to it could just be that...also .as u said give it some miles and it may quieten down slightly.

Scotty
08-07-11, 11:16 PM
Quick question - why did you fit a wider tyre than standard? The rim width will be sized for a 110, and going up a size on the front is quite a significant change... :-?

Being a wider tyre there'll be more rubber on the road Toph, and as suggested, it's worth checking your tyre pressures too. If you can get the front wheel off the deck (front stand or get someone to tilt the bike over on the side stand to lift it) you can try rocking the wheel to see if the bearings are ok, but they won't sound like regular road noise if they're shot.

Simple cure - fit earplugs! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

470four
09-07-11, 08:34 AM
+1

A 120 is a much bigger tyre?
You wont feel anything by spinning the wheel even if you do have a shot bearing, the weight of the tyre and wheel will pull the wheel around anyways, drop the wheel out ,stick your finger in each bearing and rotate it? Its not illegal and your bike will appreciate it. :D Any notchiness etc and new beraings are cheap enough... ;)

silly_simon
09-07-11, 04:34 PM
Has the tyre/wheel been fitted with the correct direction of rotation ??

470four
09-07-11, 08:17 PM
Has the tyre/wheel been fitted with the correct direction of rotation ??

I think the tyre fitting machines only go one way? :D

All spacers present and correct??

jonnydangerous
11-07-11, 10:46 AM
Toph, the bearings seemed fine, and there was no play, but worth another check...

if the noise is still there, we can change the tyre over again to a different one, and see if the noise is still there, if it goes then we will sort something, and if it stays we can put the 020 back on....

gissa shout fella :-)

Jon_W
11-07-11, 11:54 AM
My missus scoot makes more road noise since having a new tyre fitted, checked the whole thing over and found nothing wrong.... seems to be that some tyres are noisier on the road than others.

470four
11-07-11, 12:40 PM
Extra weight would give more tyre noise...

Is Jordan pregnant?? :D

Is Toph's Summer Belly too much?? ;D

Mark_Able
11-07-11, 09:18 PM
Won't turn in or hold it's line so well with a larger front tyre. Taller sidewall=larger diameter=slower steering. :(

470four
13-07-11, 08:15 AM
Won't turn in or hold it's line so well with a larger front tyre. Taller sidewall=larger diameter=slower steering. :(

Would arguably cancel out the oversize 150 you have on the back (130/70 standard) so handling would be back to normal +/-, maybe a little higher & noisier? Why did you change the front tyre?

Roxy
13-07-11, 09:51 AM
Extra weight would give more tyre noise...

Is Jordan pregnant?? :D

Is Toph's Summer Belly too much?? ;D

I saw Jordans sister the other day!

Roxy x

jonnydangerous
13-07-11, 10:00 AM
Jordan and her sister????..... mmmmm..... now theres a thought ;-)

Roxy
13-07-11, 10:18 AM
she was just as 'beautiful' as Jordan!!

you boys would love it! ;D ;D

Roxy x

jonnydangerous
13-07-11, 10:45 AM
does she have "two oversized very round" bits as well.....

470four
13-07-11, 11:13 AM
Jordan and her sister????..... mmmmm..... now theres a thought ;-)

Jordan without a hours worth of makeup - ÜberMunter...

Both her marraiges lasted until just after the drink & drugs wore off and her other half woke up next to a roadkill Micheal Jackson :D

Roxy
13-07-11, 12:05 PM
she was a beaut that's for sure! ;D ;D

Chappers was that taken by her he had to take her photo!!

Roxy x

Chappers
13-07-11, 12:08 PM
I saw Jordans sister the other day!

Roxy x

He / she sure was a thing of rare beauty :)

I'm thinking Peter Andre to Chris' Jordan?

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj206/briz_zed/WBikers/ad47e2bd.jpg

Chappers
13-07-11, 12:09 PM
Loving the boots too! :D

Roxy
13-07-11, 12:10 PM
LMAO

PHHHWOOAAARRRRRRRRR!!

check out the boots too....ooooh yeesss!!! ;D

Toph, you've met your match! ;)

Roxy x

Toph
13-07-11, 05:43 PM
Right, that's it !! :o :o :o
I'm going to wear cerise laboutin stillettos and a lime green lid from now on!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

470four
13-07-11, 11:13 PM
Right, that's it !! :o :o :o
I'm going to wear cerise laboutin stillettos and a lime green lid from now on!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

About time you came out... :D :D :D

Toph
16-07-11, 10:38 PM
Back to topic!!! :)
I fitted new wheel bearings today... no difference... must be road noise from the new tyre.
on a positive note... the handling is much improved.. turns in beautifully, loads of confidence in the front end now. :) 8-)

Ryan
17-07-11, 12:01 AM
top stuff toph!

Mark_Able
18-07-11, 08:26 PM
Tyre's not rubbing the mudguard is it? :-?

Toph
18-07-11, 08:30 PM
I've checked that Mark, ;D
It was my first thought, nothing's rubbing on the tyre.

Mark_Able
18-07-11, 08:36 PM
Don't ever remember having a noisey tyre? I've had noisey brakes, but not tyres. Wierd... [smiley=bath.gif]

Toph
18-07-11, 08:43 PM
It is weird, :o
All I've done is change the tyre, nothing else has changed, it was quiet before, and now I have a "rumble" coming from the front end when riding, It's louder on rough tarmac, but even on smooth tarmac it's still there. I'm baffled, maybe I'll fit another tyre and see if it disappears. :-?

silly_simon
18-07-11, 09:49 PM
Chris
Having re-read the original couple of posts I note it was a Bridgestone 020 ?

I found that they were a noisy-er tyre than others I have had :(