PDA

View Full Version : zx4 fuel gauge

simongpz
21-05-11, 07:21 PM
hello out there taken sues zx4 out for first test run after clean up and found fuel gauge not working thinking it may be the flout in the tank sticking due to the 4 year old fuel that blocked the carbs pump and tap but also think it may been electrical fault has anyone got a wireing diagram for a zx4 or know where i might be able to get one as haynes dont do a zx4 manual due to it being an import thanks in advance your friendly gpz owner :-/

Si
22-05-11, 10:38 AM
http://www.2shared.com/photo/hQrTP-iQ/ZXR400_H1__1989_Wiring_Full_Co.html

Any good? :)

simongpz
22-05-11, 09:03 PM
thanks for the wireing diagram si but the zxr400 does not have a fuel gauge like the zx4 which is basicly the same bike those japs keep all the good stuff for ther home market thanks anyway much appreciated 8-)

Si
23-05-11, 08:34 AM
No worries dude! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cemorah
23-05-11, 05:04 PM
Can you see the float in the tank?
is it stuck under the level of the fuel?
can you move it with a bent piece of wire?
now you know if you have an electrical problem
They are basically a rheostat and you need a multimeter to test them. If you need to borrow one PM me

470four
23-05-11, 05:12 PM
www.400greybike.com

Ask these peeps, what they dont know about isnt worth knowing... ;)

Scotty
23-05-11, 07:05 PM
You could drain the tank and remove the float and sender assembly, plug it back into the harness and test it that way, once it's out you can put a multimeter on the terminals and see if it's behaving. A fuel gauge isn't a must-have - does it have a reserve tap as well? If not, fill it up, strap a full 5 litre fuel can on the pillion seat, zero the trip meter and ride it until it runs out - then you know how far it'll go on a tankful and be mindful to fill up before it gets that far in the future - no worries... 8-)

simongpz
23-05-11, 11:03 PM
ok lots if advice all at once i will try all the fuel can on the seat is the way i found the range on my gpz will try to get fuel gauge fixed to make things easier for sue but if it is unfixable it does have a reserve setting on the tap ive asked the same questions on the bristol bikers forum as well and i think this bike has stumped alot of people being an import it hard to find technical info on it

simongpz
24-05-11, 09:36 PM
fixed it now it was the flout in the tank stuck on empty fixed it with a coat hanger as sugested working fine now also it had its mot today and after being stood for 4 years it only had 1 addvisory and passed :)

wiggy
20-07-11, 11:20 PM
You could drain the tank and remove the float and sender assembly, plug it back into the harness and test it that way, once it's out you can put a multimeter on the terminals and see if it's behaving. A fuel gauge isn't a must-have - does it have a reserve tap as well? If not, fill it up, strap a full 5 litre fuel can on the pillion seat, zero the trip meter and ride it until it runs out - then you know how far it'll go on a tankful and be mindful to fill up before it gets that far in the future - no worries... 8-)
open the cap and look lol