PDA

View Full Version : Help adjusting valves?

Loops
18-05-11, 10:05 PM
I've been saying for months that I need to check and adjust the valves on the CG, but always chickened out as according to my Haynes manual it involves taking the top of the engine off and has scary pictures!

But it really really really does need checking now, I was wondering if anyone has the knowledge (and the more important tools) to help/show me how it's done?

(I have a driveway/garage, and can supply tea/food/beer as required - but no beer until the bike is back in one piece ;D)

njl
18-05-11, 10:11 PM
I think youre lucky with a CG as they are nice and easy compared to some, but as you say having someone else around to ease any 1st time fear factor would have your mind at rest. Aside from some slip guages you may have everything else already.

470four
18-05-11, 10:19 PM
Will have a look if you want? :)

Mitch9128
18-05-11, 10:34 PM
http://hondacg125.awardspace.com/valve_clearance.htm There really is a shedload of info on these engines on the interweb, great bike to start spannering on.

@bj
18-05-11, 10:47 PM
Oh memories...

I started with a BSA C15 - all you needed in your toolbox was an adjustable spanner and a wire coat hanger - you could fix anything...

If you want to diy these days you need a tool kit that outstrips the cost of the bike...

Jon_W
19-05-11, 08:14 AM
Is very easy and will take about an hour if you go steady. Ditto 470four, am happy to help if needed.

You will need:

spanners (10, 12, 14, 17mm)
Feeler gauges (metric)
Flat bladed screwdriver
Soft mallet
Haynes manual of similar

Remove the fuel tank and placse to one side. Remove the bolts in the rocker cover, loosen the rocker cover (you may need a light tap with the mallet), remove.

You will now see the cams and rockers. You need to adjust the crearances with the rocker in the fullt up position, i.e. on the round rear of the cam.

Rotate the engine using the kicker, until one valve in on the lower part, place the feeler guage between the head of the valve and the rocker. If it's loose it needs adjusting... adjust all the valves and then turn the engine over and double check.

Replace the rocker cover (you shouldn't need a new gasket as the rubber one is ment to be re-useable) replace the tank and off you go.

Whilst you have the rocker cover off, it's also worth checking the cam chain tension. That can cause a noise similar to badly adjusted valves.

Scotty
19-05-11, 01:35 PM
...Whilst you have the rocker cover off, it's also worth checking the cam chain tension. That can cause a noise similar to badly adjusted valves.
Loops will have fun looking for the camchain Jon, the CG uses pushrods if I'm not mistaken... :-?

Jon_W
19-05-11, 02:11 PM
I stand corrected!! Was thinking of CB's....

Well spotted that man! :D

Loops
19-05-11, 08:05 PM
Thanks Jon and 470four - while I realise it's very easy, I'd still appreciate having someone helping who has done it before and knows how it should go! I have most of the tools but no feeler gauges so will need to borrow some......
Are either of you free one coming weekend to give me a hand?

I did get the CG thinking it would be a really good bike to learn this stuff on :) And I'm learning slowly. Although with the engine approaching 40k I think it's getting a bit puffed out so I might be learning alot more quickly soon!

470four
19-05-11, 08:51 PM
Loops - you have PM. :)

Jon_W
20-05-11, 08:53 AM
Thanks Jon and 470four - while I realise it's very easy, I'd still appreciate having someone helping who has done it before and knows how it should go! I have most of the tools but no feeler gauges so will need to borrow some......
Are either of you free one coming weekend to give me a hand?

I did get the CG thinking it would be a really good bike to learn this stuff on :) And I'm learning slowly. Although with the engine approaching 40k I think it's getting a bit puffed out so I might be learning alot more quickly soon!

I'm more than happy to help, supervise and instruct if needed. You need to do it youself with some one watching.

40k is nowt for a CG, double that and you may be talking high milage!!

470four
22-05-11, 05:51 PM
Sorted!

Well overdue... :-X :D

Loops
22-05-11, 06:41 PM
Thank you Darren for showing me how it should be done!

I am suitably ashamed of my valve clearances :-/

Jon_W
23-05-11, 08:22 AM
;D ;D

Bet it runs a bit setter now!!!!

470four
23-05-11, 09:04 AM
;D ;D

Bet it runs a bit setter now!!!!

A little! :D

Gapped the plug as well, both tappets were 0.5mm, not 0.08mm... :-?

Then she had the bloody cheek to say the Ducati sounded noisy when I turned up??! :P

Jon_W
23-05-11, 09:26 AM
Half a mil!! Fook me, I'm suprised the valves opened....

Well, at least the Honda only needs the valves doing up to quieten it down!!

;D ;D

Saw You on the Duc the other day, it does sound nice!!!

470four
23-05-11, 09:34 AM
Lol I was like

errr...

(OMG)

:-?

(phew)

Saved on petrol tho? Must have been doing 90mpg rather than 85? :D

Dukes a good'un! Finished setting up the new shock, dropped the forks through 10mm and now it CARVES...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!! :)

Loops
23-05-11, 09:13 PM
Well it is noisy :P Even more than mine with the valves badly adjusted!

He's a bit happier at cruising speed now, although now I can hear all the other noises the engine makes...so I'm riding along thinking something's wrong :-/

Oh, and I've been getting over 100mpg recently I'll have you know!

BB
23-05-11, 10:01 PM
Dukes are meant to be noisy! :D

BB

470four
24-05-11, 07:29 AM

BB

(HUG)
At last, somebody who understands... :D

Its a MAN'S bike, boy! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcIr75i_h_M

Loops
24-05-11, 07:01 PM

If that was aimed at me, I think you need your eyes tested ;D I know I don't exactly dress like a girl to work on my bike, but please.......

Jon_W
25-05-11, 08:02 AM

BB

(HUG)

PAH! The only real Man's bikes are british! Every fool knows that!

470four
25-05-11, 12:00 PM

BB

(HUG)

PAH! The only real Man's bikes are british! Every fool knows that!

Loops - it was a figure of speech, nobody is trying to make out that you have a penis. :D

Jon - women make better British bike owners as they look better stood next to them when they are broke down... ;)

Jon_W
25-05-11, 01:35 PM
Jon - women make better British bike owners as they look better stood next to them when they are broke down... ;)

;D ;D ;D

wiggy
20-07-11, 11:14 PM
I can do it for you if you havent done it already , i have done lots of cg,s over the years i do love cg,s very much ultimate comuter fun bike 100 mpg 70mph top job lol .

Loops
23-07-11, 02:48 PM
Darren sorted it for me a while ago - although I think I need to do them on the new bike now, which looks not quite as easy :o

wiggy
23-07-11, 08:05 PM
Glad its all done , i should read all the post,s lol before adding my 2 pence worth .As for your new one and new bikes they only get more and more complex . :)