PDA

View Full Version : Confused about chains!

NoYou
26-07-11, 12:33 PM
Been looking at chains/sprockets for when i have money. Bit confused about the difference between a 415 and 520 chain, what, if any, is the difference?! not in terms of one is bigger than the other thats obv. but in terms of usability, i had a google but cant actually find anywhere that explains it without an anorak approach! Don't need the science behind it just an overview of the differences!
thanks
Geo

Jon_W
26-07-11, 12:56 PM
Well, you've just said it. One is bigger than the other! 520 is bigger, and will be designed to take more force generated by bigger engines.

NoYou
26-07-11, 01:13 PM
So its not a case of a 415 is for track use and a 520 is for road because a 415 will be dead after 300 miles or something. Its just a case of 520 has more tensile strength for the forces put through them by bigger engines?
Just don't want to end up lying in the road with a chain embedded in my leg because i got a 415 instead of a 520! :D

Scotty
26-07-11, 01:23 PM
What's the standard size? Fit that. Even if tuned, the RS is unlikely to overwhelm a standard sized chain, just make sure you get the best one of that size that you can ie. a heavy-duty X- or O-Ring jobby. The danger of buying a cheap chain is that it'll stretch like old knicker elastic and you'll need to replace it in no time at all... >:(

NoYou
26-07-11, 01:39 PM
I have replaced the chain/sprocket previously and just stuck on what the previous owner had. Its running a 520 at the minute but looking at the front sprocket cover it looks like its been rubbing and started wearing it away, thats with a DOWNsized front sprocket! I'm assuming a 415 would give it more clearance hence the post.

Jon_W
26-07-11, 02:53 PM
I agree with Scotty. Use OEM size chain and upgrade to heavy duty if you want it to last longer.

newnut
26-07-11, 05:50 PM
520 to 415 is a bloody big difference! you need to get what fits your sprockets. if you have 520 pitch sprockets then trying to put a 415 chain on them will be like trying to put a bmx chain on! it wont work. check the chain has no side play on both sprockets. clean them off, the size should be on them. you dont wanna drop down so much if you are gonna replace chain and sprockets, look into what else could be causing the rubbing. wheel out of line? bent frame? swing arm issues? what are you riding?

Mark_Able
26-07-11, 08:46 PM
If you stick the big chain on, you'll lose performance, cos it takes more power from the engine. A 520 weighs a lot more. Not a problem on a big bike, not so good on a little 'un. Go for original size chain, and sprockets to match... :)