PDA

View Full Version : Anyone able to sort a helicoil?

Dabz
25-08-11, 07:35 PM
Got the Benly all up and running but one of the spark plugs is a bit loose so it's losing compression and has a bit of a misfire. Does anyone have a helicoil kit who's able to help me out?

470four
25-08-11, 08:20 PM
Spark plug helicoil would be a head-off job with all gaskets etc...

Could leave the head on and have all the crunchy bits de-coke that side?? :D

Dabz
25-08-11, 08:23 PM
Green man thought we may be able to do it with the head on?

470four
25-08-11, 09:08 PM
You CAN do it with the head on but most of the swarf from the overdrilled old threads & the newly-tapped oversize thread for the insert will remain inside the cylinder head/on top of and around the piston & rings...

Not a good look. ;)

Jon_W
26-08-11, 08:06 AM
Threading a plug is a head off job. Not a massive task though.

Give David Silver Spares a call, they'll sort you out the gaskets for the head.

jonnydangerous
26-08-11, 09:26 AM
these are fantastic motors, i used to own a CM200 (same engine, it was really "Rat" and painted yellow with "Danger radiation" hazard symbols on it------- dont ask!)....
give me a shout about taking the head off mate...
i dont have a kit, but they are not that expensive IF you cant find a machine shop to do it for you...

Dex
27-08-11, 12:45 AM
You CAN do it with the head on but most of the swarf from the overdrilled old threads & the newly-tapped oversize thread for the insert will remain inside the cylinder head/on top of and around the piston & rings...

Not a good look. ;)

I'd think it depends how you helicoil it.

If the thread isn't too badly damaged you can often get away with just fitting an insert into the existing hole. Obviously there's a chance a very slight amount of swarf will get produced.

If the hole needs drilling out oversize and an insert fitting then definitely head off job.

470four
27-08-11, 09:32 AM
Im damned if I would fit a spark-plug helicoil head-on.

Unless I had a small but highly trained & obedient team of ants who would venture backwards and forwards bringing me the drillings & swarf from inside the cylinder.

Dabz
27-08-11, 02:49 PM
Bugger :p

470four
27-08-11, 03:33 PM
You wanted to find out about engines?? :)

Fit a new camchain (depending on mileage) whilst you are in there, an extra head gasket will drop the compression nicely for the Garrett turbocharger, oversize valve ready for the bigbore convo & you can drill and tap the inlet's for the nitrous kit?

Its all about the multitasking. :D ;)

Dex
27-08-11, 10:51 PM
Speaking of Nitrous kits....

If you don't already have one I could do you a great price on the 4 Cyl, direct port wet kit I've got sat in my garage...

470four
28-08-11, 08:53 AM
Speaking of Nitrous kits....

If you don't already have one I could do you a great price on the 4 Cyl, direct port wet kit I've got sat in my garage...

Hmmm...

Just trying to work out where to hide the bottle??

Perhaps I could pass it off as a large rear shock reservoir? :D

Dex
28-08-11, 07:08 PM
The kit comes with a small bottle designed to fit on the bike - it's about the size of a hand helf fire extinguisher.

470four
28-08-11, 07:40 PM
The kit comes with a small bottle designed to fit on the bike - it's about the size of a hand helf fire extinguisher.

Why havent you used it?? Am intreged...

Jon_W
30-08-11, 07:46 AM
Im damned if I would fit a spark-plug helicoil head-on.

Unless I had a small but highly trained & obedient team of ants who would venture backwards and forwards bringing me the drillings & swarf from inside the cylinder.

+1. Dammed I i would either. You can't insert the helicoil into the existing thread as the helicoil is too large. You need to drill out the thread and re-tap it with the correct helicoil tap.

Jon_W
30-08-11, 07:47 AM
You wanted to find out about engines?? :)

Fit a new camchain (depending on mileage) whilst you are in there, an extra head gasket will drop the compression nicely for the Garrett turbocharger, oversize valve ready for the bigbore convo & you can drill and tap the inlet's for the nitrous kit?

Its all about the multitasking. :D ;)

Ohhhh honda Camchain.... that'll be an engine stripdown then.

Dex
30-08-11, 09:51 PM

Why havent you used it?? Am intreged...

I bought it from Ebay a few years back, intending to use it on a car. But ended up doing other things with the car and was going to use it on a bike, but then sold that bike!

The kit was all working when it came off the bike I got it from, and since then has sat in a box in my garage pretty much.