PDA

View Full Version : NC 30 - need help with final hurdle

robbo75
09-09-11, 01:58 PM
hey folks

I have a VFR NC30 which has been off the road for a few years, and I really want to get it sorted, but I'm having issues with the last few bits!

I need to replace the top yoke - I have a replacement.

Anyone fancy getting their hands oily for the odd weekend to give me a hand? There are beers up for grabs!

Cheers

jonnydangerous
09-09-11, 02:13 PM
top yolk should be really easy unless the ignition barrel is mounted with "security" type bolts that you cant undo! youll have to machine them out and use standard allen bolts to put it back in with...
the forks wont move if youre just undoing the top yolk bolts, and the head bearings wont need disturbing either...

nice easy job :-)

BB
09-09-11, 07:32 PM
It's always easy if you are not the one doing it! ;D ;D

BB

470four
09-09-11, 09:13 PM
Wherabouts you to, Robbo??

squirrel_hunter
09-09-11, 09:23 PM
top yolk should be really easy unless the ignition barrel is mounted with "security" type bolts that you cant undo! youll have to machine them out and use standard allen bolts to put it back in with...

Or alternatively use the correct security bit to undo them? Makes things much simpler.

Though I don't know what bolts they use so can't advise on the exact tool required. And as a little word of warning I'd imagine that they will be locktighted in as well so go careful rounding the heads. I find it easier to hold the top yoke in a vice to stop it moving and allow you to apply the required torque.

the forks wont move if youre just undoing the top yolk bolts, and the head bearings wont need disturbing either...

A little tip, raise the front end off the ground when removing and refitting the yoke as with the weight of the bike on the front forks just mounted on the bottom yoke can move them ever so slightly that it becomes difficult to impossible to remove or remount the yoke.

NiteW4tcher
09-09-11, 09:45 PM

Or alternatively use the correct security bit to undo them? Makes things much simpler.

Though I don't know what bolts they use so can't advise on the exact tool required. And as a little word of warning I'd imagine that they will be locktighted in as well so go careful rounding the heads. I find it easier to hold the top yoke in a vice to stop it moving and allow you to apply the required torque.

A little tip, raise the front end off the ground when removing and refitting the yoke as with the weight of the bike on the front forks just mounted on the bottom yoke can move them ever so slightly that it becomes difficult to impossible to remove or remount the yoke.

i learnt that lesson took top yokes off and it all shifted....took me hours to get the stem to align again....had to get the missus to wiggle front end around so i could get it all in place

470four
09-09-11, 09:50 PM

i learnt that lesson took top yokes off and it all shifted....took me hours to get the stem to align again....had to get the missus to wiggle front end around so i could get it all in place

Try to stay on subject please, we have no need to know about your bedroom activities... :D ;D :D

NiteW4tcher
10-09-11, 10:43 AM

;D ill try ;D

Try to stay on subject please, we have no need to know about your bedroom activities... :D ;D :D

470four
10-09-11, 05:52 PM

;D ill try ;D

LOL was that a "no comment"?? :D

NiteW4tcher
10-09-11, 06:10 PM
lol i was just reading it thinking where the hells my comment...................the comment WAS

i will try ;D

470four
10-09-11, 07:13 PM
You are VERY trying, lol! ;D :D

robbo75
11-09-11, 08:29 AM

I'm in swindon

470four
11-09-11, 12:11 PM

I'm in swindon

Which part? What else you got left to do?

robbo75
11-09-11, 12:34 PM

I'm in swindon

Near the toys r us roundabout on the 419. Need to replace the top yoke. Probably needs new plugs, new battery and fresh fuel! Not a lot really

470four
11-09-11, 12:59 PM

I'm in swindon

Near the toys r us roundabout on the 419. Need to replace the top yoke. Probably needs new plugs, new battery and fresh fuel! Not a lot really

When was the last time is was run?

How old is the battery & when was it last charged?

(I can only hope the carbs are ok) :(

robbo75
11-09-11, 01:08 PM

I'm in swindon

When was the last time is was run?

How old is the battery & when was it last charged?

(I can only hope the carbs are ok) :(

Hasn't been run for a few years. Battery is at least 6-7 hrs old, and not entirely sure about last full charge.

simongpz
12-09-11, 09:07 PM
if its not had fuel drained down when it was parked up it may need the carbs stripping and cleaning out i had to do this on sues zx4 carbs were gummed up with brown crap were the fuel had gone off and that had been parked up for 4 to 5 years