PDA

View Full Version : speedo cables

simongpz
25-09-11, 01:07 AM
i seem to be getting throught speedo cables quicker them tyres thay only last about 11 months then snap about an inch and a half from the bottom this cant be normal ive tryed differnt suppliers and that all last the same amount of time anyone else had this on a kawasaki or can sugest whats wrong on my bike to cause them to keep doing this

470four
25-09-11, 08:02 AM
Are you replacing the whole cable or just the inner?

wiggy
25-09-11, 10:03 AM
Prolly find the drive unit in the wheel isnt the right one causing the cable to bend at a very shap angle , or the drive is worn inside lack of grease , had it once a 350 goose was the wrong drive unit so didnt sit correctly in the fork slot , and put undue stress on the cable and drive nackerd both in 3 months , new set off ebay and was perfect after.Other than that check the routing try not to have sharp bends kinks in the cable . :)

simongpz
25-09-11, 10:19 PM
replaceing whole cable not just inner correct drive and routed the way kawasaki intended

wiggy
25-09-11, 11:12 PM
Dunno Simon you changed your wheels to 17,s and er5 rims thats the only reason i can think it could be i have apare drive unit if you want to try it and differnt clocks to see if that causing it d1 type clocks not a1,s lol .

Jon_W
26-09-11, 08:06 AM
Make sure there is plenty of iol or grease around the cable when you put it in. Also are you using genuine or pattern?? I had this with my ol superdreams and it was cheap sh*t pattern cables. The OE Honda ones cost twice as much but lasted three times as long!!!

jonnydangerous
26-09-11, 12:37 PM
are the drive dogs on the wheel locating properly into the speedo drive?
stop doing wheelies ;-) i had a gsxr witht his problem, all sorted now that they take the speed off of the output shaft :-)

simongpz
26-09-11, 07:19 PM
Dunno Simon you changed your wheels to 17,s and er5 rims thats the only reason i can think it could be i have apare drive unit if you want to try it and differnt clocks to see if that causing it d1 type clocks not a1,s lol .
andy you may have somthing there i changed the wheels for er5 wheels and changed the cable drive for er5 but the clocks are still ai gpz im wondering if the clocks are worn and stiff causing stress on the cable

Cemorah
26-09-11, 08:42 PM
nah the clocks are a spinning magnet no real load. My guess is the er5 speedo drive why did you need to change this? I change a GPZ500s to er5 wheels but I am sure I kept the gpz drive as the overall diameter remains pretty much the same. If the speedo drive is not a good fit to the forks thats where your problem will be. PS Don't grease the top 3 ins of the cable

simongpz
28-09-11, 05:58 PM
nah the clocks are a spinning magnet no real load. My guess is the er5 speedo drive why did you need to change this? I change a GPZ500s to er5 wheels but I am sure I kept the gpz drive as the overall diameter remains pretty much the same. If the speedo drive is not a good fit to the forks thats where your problem will be. PS Don't grease the top 3 ins of the cable
ill swap back to gpz drive and see if that helps