PDA

View Full Version : spark plug removal

Squashed_Fly
06-10-11, 08:27 PM
Do all bikes have nigh-on-impossible to get out plugs? Far right and far left plug 'tubes' (don't know technical term!) are obscured by the frame and I can get a socket in there with enough room to actually get the ratchet on the top and turn it.

I've just been out and bought a T-bar plug wrench to see if that will work but I'm still not convinced. Will try tomorrow!

And I thought the difficult bit was getting the stick coils out!

pilninggas
06-10-11, 09:28 PM
;D

silly_simon
06-10-11, 09:44 PM
I would use the one out of your tool kit as it has been designed by Kawasaki for the job in hand ;)

I had to remove the bloody radiator on mine as I still have The AIS pipework on the thou :o :o so thought bugger it I'd do the coolant at the same time :)

Rabb
06-10-11, 09:53 PM
I wanted to change mine to iridiums.
I had to use the following:
1. Wrench
2. 2 X extensions
3. Magnetic spark plug socket
4. 2 X 180 degree swivel sockets

This was the only way to get at mine, let alone get them out to change them.

I hope that this is of help.

Squashed_Fly
07-10-11, 05:22 PM
Aaaaarrrgggghhhhh!!!!!

This simple task is turning out to be the most dificult thing I've ever had to do! Changing car sparks was never this hard and I've done that a few times!

I've now managed to get the old ones out (turns out the rubber insert on my old spark socket was knackered hence them not pulling out), changed them, re-fitted the stick coils, but now they won't slide on properly. I took the plugs back out, and tried the stick coil on the old plug - fits perfectly. then on the new ones (old were non iridium, new ones are iridium) again and nope, it just won't slide on.

Have re-checked to make sure I got the right plugs and I have (according to NGK website).

So what the hell am I missing?

oh yeah, one thing I did notice is the old plugs have an almost needle like tip, new ones have a round metal thing. Wonder if that's obstructing it, or if the old plugs had one but it's stuck in the stick coil. Is that possible?

Please, if anyone is in Swindon who can help out for a few beers, I wuld be extremely grateful. I don't want to do something wrong, or use a bit to much force and damage anything.

Edit:

old ones look like this
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9NBa8-8h8dk3Dvd3y9Fot3zCHV6qN6RuX1JYU4y4Bhj4SxYtAag

New ones look like this (But with same length thread):
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvR_7Wj5k6MKv2YLLqNkqauOjIEg5CW 8WO98I-ff6Gdpa4optFnQ

I can unscrew the metal cap bit from the top and it seems to then fit in the stick coil ok. I've never had to do this before, so before I do, and bolt everything back together, I would be grateful if anyone can confirm that's fine to just do that and re-install, or if it means the metal caps from the old one are stuck in the coil, and need to be taken apart and removed :)

silly_simon
07-10-11, 06:01 PM
Yep remove the metal cap mate as Bike HT leads are smaller diameter than cars [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Then when you press the stick coil down you should hear a clicking noise :)

470four
08-10-11, 12:52 PM
Yep remove the metal cap mate as Bike HT leads are smaller diameter than cars [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Then when you press the stick coil down you should hear a clicking noise :)

+1

& FFS DONT cross-thread/overtighten them when you put then back in. ;)

Squashed_Fly
09-10-11, 07:53 PM
Cheers Simon & 474.

All done, tightened to the correct torque (using my shiney new torque wrench!), air filter cleaned & re-oiled and everything put back together.

Just the rear shock to refit when it comes back all serviced and powder coated!

Now I've done it once, in future it will be a simple job. None of us were born knowing how to do this stuff. We all had to learn somewhere.

NiteW4tcher
09-10-11, 07:56 PM
None of us were born knowing how to do this stuff. We all had to learn somewhere.

well said :)

Rabb
09-10-11, 08:19 PM
None of us were born knowing how to do this stuff. We all had to learn somewhere.

+ 1

470four
09-10-11, 09:06 PM

+ 1

+1

We all ALL still learning! I am about to undertake fitting hi-compression pistons & a lighter flywheel to my Doocat - which has a unique engine type I have had to readjust my way of thinking on and do a LOT of homework?

Learning to walk again. :)

Rabb
09-10-11, 11:19 PM

+ 1

+1

You are brave - I wouldn't even attempt this unless I was 100% sure of what I was doing however, you only learn by experience.
All power to your elbow mate!

We all ALL still learning! I am about to undertake fitting hi-compression pistons & a lighter flywheel to my Doocat - which has a unique engine type I have had to readjust my way of thinking on and do a LOT of homework?

Learning to walk again. :)

Jon_W
10-10-11, 10:29 AM
Modern Bikes are a frigging mare to work on. Too much in too small a space.....

Used to do the plugs, valves and oil on my old Honda in under an hour.

To do the plugs and oil on the Sv takes over two hours..... is a nightmare to get to the rear plug!

jonnydangerous
10-10-11, 10:33 AM
were all learning, and ALSO remembering stuff which weve forgotten!!!!...
make some notes in a scrap book and keep it as long as you have the bike, cos next time youll swear and moan/skin knuckles and be there for about 4 hours before you "remember" that the special "widget" you made to do the job has been staring you in the face for about four months.................

silly_simon
10-10-11, 03:15 PM
make some notes in a scrap book and keep it as long as you have the bike, cos next time youll swear and moan/skin knuckles and be there for about 4 hours before you "remember" that the special "widget" you made to do the job has been staring you in the face for about four months.................

+1
been there JD and know exactly what you mean LOL

Jon_W
10-10-11, 03:38 PM

+1.

You'll find a few blank pages in the back of the Haynes books for this.

I always mark special tools so I remember what they are.

alanTDM
10-10-11, 07:32 PM
I all ways take pics using my moby before i dismantle any thing like camshaft timing marks etc so i know it all goes back properly.