PDA

View Full Version : Computer: Internet issue

Jon_W
23-10-11, 09:46 PM
I am having problems accessing any site where a secure internet connection is needed, ebay or yahoo login for instance.

I am a total It ignoramus but to assist, my PC is of 2005 vintage, runs XP and is otherwise totaly fine. I've tried the help options, but these don't help!

Any ideas??

Ta! :)

Squashed_Fly
23-10-11, 10:47 PM
Switch it off, then switch it back on again! ;D

Jon_W
24-10-11, 07:55 AM
Switch it off, then switch it back on again! ;D

Done that! No difference!

NoYou
24-10-11, 10:21 AM
Turn everything off, your PC, modem, router leave it off for a few mins then turn it all back on modem/router/PC in that order ;) sorts more problems.
Have you changed any settings added any internet security etc. Recently?

Jon_W
24-10-11, 11:56 AM
Turn everything off, your PC, modem, router leave it off for a few mins then turn it all back on modem/router/PC in that order ;) sorts more problems.
Have you changed any settings added any internet security etc. Recently?

Done all that. No difference. made no changes recently. This has been going on a while.

NoYou
24-10-11, 01:13 PM
Hit it with a big hammer, stamp on it and then throw it out the window!
Check windows security centre thing is OFF its the spawn of satan, also check you internet browser settings to make sure nothing is set to block secured site etc.

Jon_W
24-10-11, 01:34 PM
Hit it with a big hammer, stamp on it and then throw it out the window!
Check windows security centre thing is OFF its the spawn of satan, also check you internet browser settings to make sure nothing is set to block secured site etc.

Tried the hammer..... didn't work so I assumed it is electrical or software....

Will have a look see at those suggestions. Ta! :)

BB
25-10-11, 07:44 AM
As a friend of mine said recently - at least he is keeping fit walking out to the garden to get the keyboard back every time he had thrown it out the window! ;D ;D

BB

Jon_W
25-10-11, 07:59 AM
As a friend of mine said recently - at least he is keeping fit walking out to the garden to get the keyboard back every time he had thrown it out the window! ;D ;D

BB

If that was true, I'd be up for the olympics!!!! ;D

I hate computers... >:(

FJ_Biker
25-10-11, 04:15 PM
Have you tried installing firefox or google chrome to sufr the net?

wiltshire builders
25-10-11, 04:21 PM
Having the same problems with explorer. Keeps disconecting but google chrome doesn't miss a beat. :-?

Green Man
25-10-11, 11:06 PM
Window open .. you know the rest..... ;D ;D

Toph
25-10-11, 11:34 PM
C'mon you techies... I run IE at the mo... it's soooo slow.. what would you recommend?? :-? :-?

Nelly
26-10-11, 07:12 AM
I'm using chrome as well. Never fails...

Jon_W
26-10-11, 07:39 AM
Cheers guys.

Is Chrome ok to run on an old version of XP???

Rabb
26-10-11, 12:49 PM
Chrome - all the way- never had a problem!
AVG all the way as system protection.

alanTDM
27-10-11, 11:40 AM
You could try a System Restore if you know aprox date problem started and restore to a earlier date than that,that might work.

Loops
27-10-11, 06:11 PM
Jon, I'm a Firefox user, on XP with a computer of (mostly) 2003 vintage - works fine :)

I switched from AVG to Avast after AVG updated and suddenly started being really heavy on the resources.

alanTDM
27-10-11, 06:50 PM
+1
Jon, You could also check to see if your SSL is checked
Control Panel/Internet Options/Advance then scroll down the box to security and the SSL/TSL should have a tick in all of them.

Jon_W
28-10-11, 07:58 AM
Cheers Alan. Didn't know about that one. Will check.

SupeRDel
28-10-11, 07:32 PM
I use Mocrosoft Essentials for my internet security - free download.

I have it running on 3 pc's in the house for the last 2 years and never had a jot of problems.

I used to have Norton - that is the biggest load of rubbish available - slows PC and you pay for it.. >:(

Toph
28-10-11, 09:49 PM
I must admit, I'm clueless as to computers but a friend who's a techie recommended Microsoft security essentials (free download) as a good internet security package.
Ive been running it for a while... no problems so far! 8-)

Rabb
29-10-11, 10:28 PM
[quote author=python link=1319402787/12#12 date=1319582050]C'mon you techies... I run IE at the mo... it's soooo slow.. what would you recommend?? :-? :-?[/quote

Chrome is recommended.

1. If your computer is slow - do a full defrag every week.
2. Use a disc optimizer software package

The above should do the trick however, if it's still slow have a look at what's running in the background and shut things down that you don't need running.

I hope this works for you....

Gamer
10-11-11, 11:55 PM
I love FireFox, as it comes with plenty of good things.
Chrome is quicker, but less secure.
IE sucks :) sorry but only version 9 does kind of a good job.

For IE 8 go to tools/internet options and on general tab find delete temporary files.
Remove all crap that sits on your PC.
than go to advances (last tab) and find restore IE settings. This will revert your browser to standard settings and all should be fine.
I assume that you had a chat with your ISP and they claim it is your PC ?!?!?!?

Hope this helps.

I can post usfull batch file to clear all temporary files from you PC/laptop and recommend very good defrag tool that actually does the job.

Let me know what is or is not working :D