PDA

View Full Version : pulling & refitting bearings

Squashed_Fly
29-11-11, 07:35 AM
I'm not fortunate enough to own a bearing setter or pulled to do my swingarm. Is there a safe way of doing it without it? Or can I leave them in while I respray it, and just plug the holes?

spudgun
29-11-11, 02:13 PM
How are you respraying the swingarm? Prep would have to be spot on, otherwise the paint will be flaking off within weeks - I'd suggest that you get it powdercoated

Squashed_Fly
29-11-11, 02:40 PM
Nitomors, wirewool, grey primer and ford gold paint...

Powdercoating would be great, but it's expensive. Well, more than I can afford in the next few months anyway. I can always get it blasted and coated when the funds are more fluid, but this will do for the time being.

nickreeve
29-11-11, 03:03 PM
Are you replacing the bearings with new ones ?? if so they can just be removed with a blunt chisel, as for fitting new ones you can do this with a large socket and a hammer ( but do not hit it to hard) just tap around outside a dit at a time till flush its that easy.

Squashed_Fly
29-11-11, 03:16 PM
No, the old ones are in good nick still. Will just plug up the holes, and tape up the grease nipples before painting.

spudgun
29-11-11, 03:32 PM
Nitomors, wirewool, grey primer and ford gold paint...

Powdercoating would be great, but it's expensive. Well, more than I can afford in the next few months anyway. I can always get it blasted and coated when the funds are more fluid, but this will do for the time being.

That wont stay on for long, you'll need to rub it down more than wirewool, 240 grit, then 400, 800 at least, otherwise swirl marks will show through, then etch prime before the grey prime, flat that off with 800, then the colour and finish off with a good laquer.

NoYou
29-11-11, 05:54 PM
Gold?! *cringe* a GOLD swinger? won't that look a bit... ... erm ... how to put it nicely ... tacky?

wiltshire builders
29-11-11, 06:03 PM
Gold?! *cringe* a GOLD swinger? won't that look a bit... ... erm ... how to put it nicely ... tacky?
Not if you team it up with gold anodised bolts, iridium screen and gold bar ends. It also adds an extra 10bhp at the wheel too!

Squashed_Fly
29-11-11, 06:04 PM
It's not actually gold, it's more of a titanium colour. It's the closest match to the original I could find

Scotty
29-11-11, 06:12 PM
Kawasaki used to sell little touch-up paint tubes for frame paint but they no longer do it as far as I know, at least not for newer models, though there could still be some for older bikes around. Try talking to the road parts guys at Cradley Kawasaki and see what they say.

Alternatively, if you want to get an exact match rather than merely close, try these guys (http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php)